PIONEERS RasPi3: Incredible PBX for XiVO

jerrm

Guru
Reaction score
How worried should I be in practice about the MicroSD cards "wearing out" with XiVO in 24/7
A good card will last years. Being prudent, replace it every year or so.

As an example, take a low end write cycle value of 5K (most cards are 10K+++). The ENTIRE card should be able to rewritten 5000 times. Now logs don't fill entire cards, the same "disk sectors" can be rewritten over and over, so in theory a particular spot on the card could wear out. To prevent this cards use wear leveling which spreads the writes around on the card, and even move a failing blocks to a new location.

Cards that fail in the near to mid term under pbx type work loads are not worn out due to write cycles. Something else has blown them up.

P.S. Googling SD card wear issues I see references to using something called "tmpfs" on Linux-based systems to extend life of SD cards ... would this be a feasible approach for XiVO on Pi?
Yes. I log to ram to eliminate unnecessary writes. The best option for Raspbian if you want the logs to survive a (deliberate) reboot is the fs2ram package. A random power outage or reboot could result in current logs being lost, but that is the risk for any ram based logging.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
The latest image turns off most logging. For the record, since the introduction of the Raspberry Pi, we've never had a card fail.

SMTC

Reaction score
Finished installing the Sept 2 release. PBXSTATUS showed all up, then this morning, after touching nothing the AGETTY indicator on status shows DN. A reboot did not cure.

What does this mean?

SMTC

Reaction score
The latest image turns off most logging. For the record, since the introduction of the Raspberry Pi, we've never had a card fail.

But, the USB MicroSD card reader shipped with my CanaKit just quit yesterday after using it 3 times.:mad2:

Update: CANAKIT just emailed me back that a replacement reader is in the mail.

https://www.canakit.com/raspberry-pi-3-starter-kit.html
$75 for everything you would need.

Last edited:

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Finished installing the Sept 2 release. PBXSTATUS showed all up, then this morning, after touching nothing the AGETTY indicator on status shows DN. A reboot did not cure.

What does this mean?
Nothing to worry about.

Reaction score
Just starting to play with this ... Latest 2016-09-02 image.
Can't seem to get it to upgrade from 16.10 to 16.11 using "xivo-upgrade" command.
I get offered only to upgrade from 16.10 to 16.10 !

Is there something different I need to do for the Pi build as opposed to the x64 builds?

StephenH

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Just starting to play with this ... Latest 2016-09-02 image.
Can't seem to get it to upgrade from 16.10 to 16.11 using "xivo-upgrade" command.
I get offered only to upgrade from 16.10 to 16.10 !

Is there something different I need to do for the Pi build as opposed to the x64 builds?

StephenH

No upgrade is yet available for the Raspberry Pi. It's maintained by a separate group in France.

Reaction score
No upgrade is yet available for the Raspberry Pi. It's maintained by a separate group in France.

Thanks Ward, it looked to me like Iris-Network had 16.11 Raspivo out, hence my question, but maybe not accessible in the form we need it yet?

StephenH

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Thanks Ward, it looked to me like Iris-Network had 16.11 Raspivo out, hence my question, but maybe not accessible in the form we need it yet?

Haven't had time to test it just yet. Their 16.10 release caused all sorts of issues when you attempted to upgrade to it from earlier releases. Hopefully, 16.11 works better, but I have nothing positive or negative to report at this juncture.

Reaction score
Thanks Ward,

Will stay where I am until you advise on "safe" upgrade methodology for the Pi builds then.

StephenH

SMTC

Reaction score
Trying to add Conference Rooms (i.e. 2663, 2664, 2665) in Xivo Raspberry Pi 3 fails. Incredible PBX appears to add some hidden 2663 CONF but its not under control of Xivo. How do you set up a Moderator and Participant PIN?

SMTC

Reaction score

Reviewed the comment but perhaps I don't understand. How is it that a hidden conference bridge somehow works without a real time clock but that cannot be handled by the Xivo GUI?

Am I to understand that without the "battery-backed clock" no support for PIN & MODERATOR Conference bridges work? How does it work on VM's? Isn't there a fake clock process or something?

Thank you for all input and feedback.

J

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
It's a clock source (such as an analog phone card), not a clock. Conference bridge uses a different technology. Nothing hidden about how it was implemented. We documented it in the tutorial. However, the XiVO GUI does not (yet) support conference bridges.

Dave Gray

Guru
Reaction score
More particularly, it isn't a clock that tells time, rather a source of timing that tells the conference code when to look at all the incoming data from the various lines. Both are uses of the noun "clock".

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mricot
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.