TIPS Raspberry Pi Network Issues

RoboLord

Reaction score
This just doesn't work for me on a Raspberry Pi 3. I think the tutorial is incomplete. I can't connect to the internet at all based on the provided tutorial. Updates don't work, installing Fax doesn't work. I can't connect to VOIP.MS. I can't even ping outside the LAN. I'm not sure if it's a problem with the whitelist firewall or something else.

I did notice that immediately after firing up the Pi following install of the Micro SD image, it automatically connected to an unsecured Wi-Fi hotspot and I had two IP addresses.

Has anyone actually tried to use the latest build and followed the tutorial and had success?

Last edited:

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
If you have conflicting IP addresses from multiple sites, you obviously cannot expect a successful install. This is a networking problem, not a problem with Incredible PBX. Your comments provide insufficient detail to troubleshoot the network issues. Disable one of the two network sources and then try a fresh install.

RoboLord

Reaction score
If you have conflicting IP addresses from multiple sites, you obviously cannot expect a successful install. This is a networking problem, not a problem with Incredible PBX. Your comments provide insufficient detail to troubleshoot the network issues. Disable one of the two network sources and then try a fresh install.

So I should be expected to disable all nearby sources of open wifi? Unfortunately that's not possible because I don't control those access points. Why is the script automatically joining wifi? How do I disable it? Can this be added to the tutorial, because as it stands now, the script and the tutorial are incompatible. I'm not sure what other details I can provide to troubleshoot the issue.

If all else fails, you might try this alternative to see if you get different results:

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r30661088-PBX-FreePBX-for-the-Raspberry-Pi

I have installed the generic RasPBX on another SD card on the same Raspberry Pi and had success but I want to run Incredible for some of the additional features that I'm not skilled enough to add myself.

RoboLord

Reaction score
I had the same problem a few weeks back, had me scratching my head and chasing firewall rules... Just turn down the wlan0 interface with "ifconfig wlan0 down" to test it out and then everything should work fine - it did for me.

If that works change it from auto to manual in /etc/network/interfaces - assuming you don't need it.

Thanks, this worked for my problem too, glad I found your post because I was pulling my hair out trying to understand why there is no internet connectivity on this disk image out of the box. This should be added to the tutorial or fixed in the disk image.

One question, what exactly do I need to add to '/etc/network/interfaces' to make the wlan0 operate manually? I don't have any lines that say 'auto'

Here's what I do have:

Code:
#iface eth0 inet manual
iface eth0 inet dhcp

allow-hotplug wlan0
#iface wlan0 inet manual
#    wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
    wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

#allow-hotplug wlan1
#iface wlan1 inet manual
#    wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

I tried uncommenting the 'iface wlan0 inet manual' line but it didn't help.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
@RoboLord:

Take a look at /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf. It controls the WiFi networks that are enabled. If you don't want the unsecured network, just comment it out and reboot:
Code:
# network={
 # key_mgmt=NONE
 # priority=1
#  }

Then you can add WiFi credentials in the top section if you ever decide to run off a secured WiFi network.

FYI: This functionality was actually added so that those using a Pi Zero W had a way to set up their systems.

The top response in this post explains how to reconfigure WiFi for manual startup if you prefer that route, but I'm not sure why you would ever want to use an unsecured WiFi network other than to initially set up a new server. That's why we gave it the lowest possible priority.

Last edited:

RoboLord

Reaction score
@RoboLord:
FYI: This functionality was actually added so that those using a Pi Zero W had a way to set up their systems.

I'm glad there's a way for Pi Zero W users to get going, however, since it breaks the install for all Pi with ethernet, and it's not mentioned at all in the tutorial or install process, perhaps there should be a dialog prompt in the install script to choose which network adapter to use. I've wasted a good number of hours trying to figure this out, as I'm sure many others have as well.

Another option I found to disable wlan:

Code:
sudo nano /boot/config.txt
Add this to the bottom of the file to disable wifi & bt

Code:
# turn wifi and bluetooth off
dtoverlay=pi3-disable-wifi
dtoverlay=pi3-disable-bt

ostridge

Guru
Reaction score
Code:
Better still how about first:
Code:
# uncomment next 2 lines to turn wifi and bluetooth off
# dtoverlay=pi3-disable-wifi
# dtoverlay=pi3-disable-bt
Then uncomment if that is what you desire. OK same same with knobs on :)

Incidentally, I am on an earlier build, but I also got both wireless and wired interfaces with their own IPs; the wlan0 through my same router but didn't seem to be a problem, and traffic went ok through the wired eth0 seemingly by default.

Last edited:

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
I'm glad there's a way for Pi Zero W users to get going, however, since it breaks the install for all Pi with ethernet, and it's not mentioned at all in the tutorial or install process, perhaps there should be a dialog prompt in the install script to choose which network adapter to use. I've wasted a good number of hours trying to figure this out, as I'm sure many others have as well.

Another option I found to disable wlan:

Code:

Code:
# turn wifi and bluetooth off
dtoverlay=pi3-disable-wifi
dtoverlay=pi3-disable-bt

I've added this to the tutorial; however, it should never cause issues in most network environments. This would only be a potential problem where your wired network is on one LAN and the open Wi-Fi network is on some stranger's LAN. Even then, the wired network always takes precedence AFAIK. How would this break network connectivity through your wired eth0 connection unless your router is blocking outgoing access or your DHCP server didn't hand out a network address on the wired connection?? Neither of those is a problem attributable to the Incredible PBX network setup.

This strikes me as a red herring that should never affect network functionality when you have a (reliable) wired network set up or when you have entered credentials to access a (reliable) secured WiFi network. In five years of building these RasPi systems, I've heard about this EXACTLY ONE TIME, and that was a couple days ago. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

RoboLord

Reaction score
that should never affect network functionality when you have a (reliable) wired network set up or when you have entered credentials to access a (reliable) secured WiFi network.

I have no idea why this would occur either. I have a very reliable wired network, all Ubiquiti Unifi. I'm in a mixed use office building and our neighbor has an unsecured guest network that it seems the Pi latches onto immediately. This is what my status screen looks like immediately after install, before I disable wifi:
4UYIjPS.png

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
I have no idea why this would occur either. I have a very reliable wired network, all Ubiquiti Unifi. I'm in a mixed use office building and our neighbor has an unsecured guest network that it seems the Pi latches onto immediately. This is what my status screen looks like immediately after install, before I disable wifi:
4UYIjPS.png

You've got multiple IP addresses on the same subnet, but at least one is from a different network so the packets are stepping all over each other. That would explain what's causing your problem. Just remove the unsecured WiFi option or disable WiFi entirely if you don't need it.

It really doesn't make sense to disable WiFi for everyone because of what is clearly an edge case. Yes, the other Asterisk build for the RasPi works, but it's because they don't support WiFi out of the starting gate. In a lot of countries outside the U.S., that would mean no Internet connectivity without users having to get down in the weeds. Yours is the first case on the other end of the spectrum so we probably need to leave the defaults as they are to support the vast majority of use cases.

ostridge

Guru
Reaction score
This is what my status screen looks like immediately after install, before I disable wifi:

sounds like some googling research is needed.

I assume you can tell which is the unsecured guest IP address, and you can find its SSID perhaps by a wifi search on your android?

1. Depending on how many IP addresses you need, and if not way too much work, you could decide to use a different network address by changing the third octet such as 192.168.250.0/24

2. in your router setup can you reserve ip addresses for your eth0 network, as well as the one for YOUR wlan0 with YOUR SSID and credentials.

as networking now uses dhcpcd so you need perhaps to
consult /etc/dhcpcd.conf and 'man dhcpcd.conf'

Thinking aloud :- To put credentials for the unsecured neighbour's network in say wlan1 then disable that wlan1 something like
Code:
if down wlan1
the default wpa_supplicant.conf should be as here
Code:
root@raspberrypi:~#  cat /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf.org
ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1

network={
 ssid="YourSSID"
 psk="YourSSIDpassword"
 key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
 scan_ssid=1
 priority=5
}

network={
 key_mgmt=NONE
 priority=1
}
google about how to change that file for multiple wlan(s)

I don't quite know where to put what so feel free to chime in.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdauck
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.