TIPS Raspberry Pi Network Issues

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
The UI in the Jessie version is markedly more responsive than Wheezy. I assume due to the updated Apache and PHP. I had noticed the difference before between Wheezy IPBX and Jessie RasPBX. Very glad to see the same improvement for IPBX now.

You are spot on. Can't wait to try it later this week on the Raspberry Pi 3. It's already zippy quick on the Raspberry Pi 2.

Martin Lunt

Reaction score
PJsip seems to work perfectly, thank you.
Raspberry pi 3 arrives tomorrow so I will give you a comparison in a couple of days. Ought we to be compiling the source directly for the Raspberry Pi3 ?

jerrm

Guru
Reaction score
Was GV OAuth omitted due to a problem, or just to limit the testing platform for now?

Installing via the tutorial seems to work without issue.

Anything I should be aware of?

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Was GV OAuth omitted due to a problem, or just to limit the testing platform for now?

Installing via the tutorial seems to work without issue.

Anything I should be aware of?

No problem except a lot more hoops for newbies to use GV.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Current Raspbian 8 still runs in 32-bit mode but, according to Eben, they're exploring whether to release a 64-bit version down the road.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Raspberry Pi 3 arriving tomorrow. Should be a fun weekend. :drool5:

CcjXHgPWAAEO7jv.jpg

jerrm

Guru
Reaction score
Just noticed this -
Using the 3/1 image. Fail2Ban is only watching ssh.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Just noticed this -
Using the 3/1 image. Fail2Ban is only watching ssh.

Understood. Everything else is behind the firewall whitelist. We're not tremendous fans of Fail2Ban. Our experience suggests it locks out more legitimate users than bad guys. And powerful servers such as Amazon EC2 render Fail2Ban all but worthless on low power computers such as a RasPi. Also worried about the thrashing of the SDcard reading logs with every Asterisk and web activity. I could go on...

jerrm

Guru
Reaction score
Understood. Everything else is behind the firewall whitelist. We're not tremendous fans of Fail2Ban. Our experience suggests it locks out more legitimate users than bad guys. And powerful servers such as Amazon EC2 render Fail2Ban all but worthless on low power computers such as a RasPi. Also worried about the thrashing of the SDcard reading logs with every Asterisk and web activity. I could go on...
No problem, just reporting what's different.

I agree with the basic Fail2Ban sentiment. The IPBX firewall rules are one of the first things for us. Nothing wrong really, much better that they're there by default, but I have my own framework developed over the years(more than I'd care to admit).

jerrm

Guru
Reaction score
I would be interested in seeing a Pi3 stress test. It's capabilities should be well beyond any "SOHO" requirements.

Jake

Reaction score
So is there a possibility that IncredibleFax could work on Jessie in the future or is it dead?

Jay Deal

Phhhhhhhhttttttt :)
Reaction score
GUI is very fast on a Raspi 2. Might be faster than 2.11 / 11 on an Atom thin client. Impressed after being disappointed by GUI 12 / Asterisk 11 on Debian Wheezy.

Any way chan_mobile.so can be compiled into the next image iteration? chan_mobile.conf is in /etc/asterisk/ and I edited it to update pertinent info but when you 'module load chan_mobile.so' in * cli, it says module does not exist.

FYI, I tried to compile chan_dongle.so and it fails to make it past the make stage. Judging by a few posts of information out on the interwebs, you can compile dongle for * 13 in Centos but no information about Debian or Ubuntu compilation out there that I found.

Edit: I was later able to get both chan_mobile and chan_dongle compiled.

To add chan_mobile.so, I recompiled asterisk using ./configure --with-bluetooth. I am having trouble getting the bluetooth adapter (a perhaps illegal knockoff clone ) to connect to my phone in Raspian although when I do a 'mobile search' in CLI my phone pops up. I have to try a name brand adapter to know if I have a permanent issue.

For chan_dongle, I used a patch cloned from here: https://github.com/oleg-krv/asterisk-chan-dongle.git. Once I cloned into the patched compilation files, I executed ' aclocal && autoconf && automake -a' followed by './configure --disable-debug --enable-apps --enable-manager --with-asterisk=/usr/src/asterisk-13.7.2/include' then 'make && make install'. Don't forget to copy the dongle.conf file from the /etc subdirectory in the clone to /etc/asterisk and you need to install wvdial and usb_modeswitch. Of course you need to provide chmod permissions to the ttyUSBx devices in /dev.

Edit 3-7-2016: Tried up to 4 dongles with the Pi and a powered USB hub today. Discovered any more than two dongles brings the whole system crashing probably because the Pi's ethernet adapter is also on the USB line with the communications overload of the USB pipe too much.

Last edited:

jerrm

Guru
Reaction score
To optimize the zipped image file, consider an "apt-get clean" to free up 250mb+ or so space. Since the cached packages are already compressed, it should be almost a 1:1 reduction in the zip size.

A "make distclean" in the src folders might also be a reasonable compromise to reduce the zipped image size, but leave the convenience and flexibility of having the src on disk.

Wipe free disk space before imaging to realize the gains and increase compression:
cat /dev/zero > wipe.it ; rm wipe.it

Realizing 3/1 is not a final release and these tweaks may be planned.

Martin Lunt

Reaction score
Pi 3 first impressions.
Much quicker. Once downloaded, installed and loaded PBX backup to bring extensions etc and copy across UK voice files across all in less the 5 minutes.

Just worked out of the box. Noticeably quicker when calling from one extension to another (there was a bit of lag, probably not more than a second, on the Pi2). I will try and work out how to test it more extensively on a 10 extension system. I built this really as a backup device for an existing 10 extension system. I will, one evening or at a weekend, take the main system offline and just substitute it with the Pi3 but initial tests suggest it will work and be is as simple as that.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
:001 9898:ALERT: Just a heads up that the wireless LAN connection on the RasPi 3 is not yet ready for prime time. Without an existing wired connection, the wlan0 connection fails within a few minutes. With a wired connection, you can connect via the wlan0 IP address; however, virtually all of the network traffic still is routed through the eth0 interface.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frapu
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.