RAID1 Install Options

solutions4smb

Reaction score
I looked at the kickstart script and it didn't look like the RAID1 stuff I am used to seeing in those *other* distros is here.

Are there plans to have a similar sataraid and ideraid options in the install?

Love what I see so far, especially the attitude of the group!!!!!

Dan

jroper

Guru
Reaction score
Hi

My preference would be to always use a hardware RAID - the creating a software raid is simple enough (and some times refered to as the poor man's raid solution), but the restore can be tricky.

With a hardware RAID, the procedure when a disk fails is to drop in a new hard disk and press the restore mirror button, it's all sorted out for you.

Many fairly cheap motherboards come with sata raid, so hardware raid is not as expensive as it once was.

Having said that, you can customise your partitions and setup RAID during the install. There are plenty of howto's on the web.

Yours

Joe

totalimpact

Reaction score
"Many fairly cheap motherboards come with sata raid"

you are better off with linux software raid - these cheap boards with raid usually are a soft raid that is handled by some proprietary driver that is designed for windows, and linux support is limited, I know this is Cent5, but still these are usually limited and less desireable.

For a 5-10 user system linux softraid should be the default, it would be nice to have that built into an optional kickstart. And SATA/SCSI support should be the preferred drive, I know Tom likes IDE, but lets face it, they are getting to be far and few now, if we are running on the cutting edge Asterisk "1.4" we should at least be able to run cutting edge hardware and utilize all the extra resources that systems have now days.

dobbs

Reaction score
I agree. 3Ware is my preference. If that isn't supported already, I'd like to see that included.
-Paul

darmock

PIAF Developer
Reaction score
Hey I run raid and sata. I like PATA only because the average newbie can get it running with no problems. For the more technically inclined RAID and SATA are there. Centos installs just fine on most SATA drives with a few MB that it does not install on.

Most of the 3ware cards are supported already with minimal fuss.

Tom

MatsK

Reaction score
God idea, a software raid could be implemented on any hardware and I know that the SMEserver (smeserver.sf.net) project has a nice routine for this, Im not 100% but quite shure that that could be used here also.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mark-curtis
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.