Prevent Extension From Dialling Out & Shared Phonebook

yuljk

Reaction score
Hi guys - I've had a Google around on these two topics, but a lot of the threads I found were ancient.

I'm running IncrediblePBX 13-13.10 and would like to prevent an extension/or group from dialling out and only allow them to dial internal users. What is currently the best way to achieve this? - I've seen people talk about Custom Contexts, specifying CallerID for the extensions dial-plan and the Contact Manager module.

Lastly - I'd like my SIP clients (MicroSIP) to be able to access a basic shared phone book of user/extensions - I've seen a few guys suggest various php scripts to spit something out - is there a more 'elegant' solution to this these days?

Many thanks for any help!

Chris

dhoppy

Reaction score
I've used Custom Contexts before. It can be a little tricky to get right, but it works. What I am currently using on one client is a dial pattern on an outbound route. The client is small, and each department has less than 10 extensions, so sales is 500 - 509, service is 510-519, etc. Then I create an outbound route for each department with 50X, or 51X, as in the attached figured. You could do the same with your outbound route if the extension(s) you want to block from using the outbound route can be grouped by extension number. Like make the extensions you want to block be in the 600 range, then your outbound route says 5XX, then only 500-599 can dial out. (I'm not an expert, so maybe all of this is wrong, but it is working for me)

kenn10

Reaction score
Hi guys - I've had a Google around on these two topics, but a lot of the threads I found were ancient.

I'm running IncrediblePBX 13-13.10 and would like to prevent an extension/or group from dialling out and only allow them to dial internal users. What is currently the best way to achieve this? - I've seen people talk about Custom Contexts, specifying CallerID for the extensions dial-plan and the Contact Manager module.

Lastly - I'd like my SIP clients (MicroSIP) to be able to access a basic shared phone book of user/extensions - I've seen a few guys suggest various php scripts to spit something out - is there a more 'elegant' solution to this these days?

Many thanks for any help!

Chris
@yuljk The idea from @dhoppy is a simple, straight-forward way to limit outbound traffic. One other option which allows you to limit what system features an extension has is the custom-context module for FreePBX. It allows you to set up a context that can be assigned to a specific extension which whitelists only certain features and routes. Depending on your need for complexity, this is a versatile option but there is a learning curve to get up to speed in its setup.

yuljk

Reaction score
Thanks guys - Really appreciate your suggestions. @kenn10 - I tried loading the custom context module, but I believe it only supports Asterisk versions 14 upwards (IncrediblePBX currently only has v13) - that likely would have been my first port of call.

I'll have a look at the dial pattern option and let you know how I get on.

kenn10

Reaction score
I would not be surprised to see an Ubuntu release of IncrediblePBX16-15 in the near future. Ward releases the software in stages as they work out the bugs for different operating systems. You can always run VirtualBox and use the pre-configured OVA image for IncrediblePBX16-15 that was just released.

hawk#1

Reaction score
@hawk#1 - I'm on Ubuntu 18.04, not looking to switch to CentOS 7.

Sorry, but you did not mention ubuntu before, you just said (IncrediblePBX currently only has v13) which is a false statement. Hopefully it won't be long until the ubuntu gets updated.

yuljk

Reaction score
Sorry, but you did not mention ubuntu before, you just said (IncrediblePBX currently only has v13) which is a false statement. Hopefully it won't be long until the ubuntu gets updated.
Admittedly I haven't checked that site for release updates in a while - I stand corrected.

yuljk

Reaction score
I installed the Custom Contexts module - however, when creating a new context and saving I get the following error https://issues.freepbx.org/browse/FREEPBX-18093 - Looks like it doesn't work with more recent releases of MariaDB/MySQL.

I'll wait for the Ubuntu 18.04 release of Incredible PBX 16-15.

Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.