TIPS POTS and Sip together

SipnEat

Reaction score
Hey all

Hope everyone is keeping cool! :)

Ok here are my questions/issues.

I have three (3) POTS lines coming in to a Asterisk 11 PIAF based system, and one sip trunk. The customer is looking to removed two or three of the POTS and going with a straight SIP/VoIP environment IF they can port the main number over, if not we will maintain the one number. The goal of this project is three fold, first to get them off a EOL TalkSwitch, second give the ability to add features and extensions as they grow and third, increase the number of in and out bound lines they can use, of course all while saving some $$$. So my questions are:

1. If I keep the one number on POTS, can I still use the VoIP trunks in conjunction, I'm assuming yes as is that not the point to all this?

2. I see where I can have the DAHDi and the SIP trunks, however I have a DID associated with the SIP trunks. Can I just drop the SIP trunk DID and use the main number to rollover?

3. If I keep the POTS number and need to add lines (we want 6 in/out total) do I just add more trunks? I know there are options of channels.

4. I know there is a separate Forum for this, but given the above is there a recommended SIP supplier that fits this scenario best? We are in the US (CA), do not need toll free. Currently they have unlimited min. so I want to do as close to a one for one as possible.

As usual, THANK YOU, this really is a great forum!

Brian

SipnEat

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response..

Ok so here is my understanding, please correct if Im wrong..

If I get a SIP provider that has multiple channels per trunk, i.e a 8 channel trunk allows for 8 in bound or outbound calls simultaneously, I could get a DID associated with that trunk, and ask the current TELCO for the main line to add that number/DID to the hunt group. If the main POTS line was busy, it would then roll to the next number which is associated with the VoIP trunk and channels and off I go.

If I use a provider that has one trunk per channel (or channel per trunk, Im using SIPStation now which is their configuration) I could get a DID per trunk and ask the TELCO to add each of those to the hunt group.

Outbound can be either unless there is a cost savings associated with using one over the other.

Thanks Again!

SipnEat

Reaction score
Ok so if I had a DID with 4 trunks (assuming SIPSTATION verbiage), the TELCO may only forward a single call to that DID, if its in use, they "decide" its busy and wont send a secondary call.

Only way around that would be to get a separate DID for each trunk. Cost is $1.00/month more but I could then associated each trunk/DID pair, and just tell the TELCO to add "these <insert DID's here> to the hunt group.

Any configuration issue with that? More complex? Can I set it to that say a DID that is 9165551212 can show the DID we want customers to call into, which is different then the group numbers?

Thanks!

TwigsUSAN

Guru
Reaction score
It's not if you add another DID, the Telco just won't forward more then one call. It is something that you would have to talk to telco about.

Reaction score
You must discuss with the local telco the number of "paths" associated with the call forwarding option (that your paying for). This configuration item is shown on the telco's configuration screen for your line. It is literally called "number of paths" on some telco switches.
Some telco's will have no issue in setting it to 3 paths for example which may be sufficient for your needs. Beyond that they may develop a charge for anything beyond that. Perhaps the local telco offers some sip trunking that offers a better option. Sometimes your POTS number can be ported to the local cable provider who may offer SIP trunking. Porting a primary, long held, advertised, business number to a random voip provider is not a good idea, at least initially. Some companies get around this by gradually switching customers to a toll free number which gives the customer some incentive to make the change. Generally you can get better control of a toll free number if you "buy" it properly.

DarkQuark

Reaction score
I personally would dump the POT's line. SIP is far more easier to deal with and you do not need to do any DA conversion which always causes issues especially if its done more than once. If redundancy is an issue you can use an internet based SIP trunk combined with possibly a leased line SIP trunk or even a full or frac PRI. This would get around all the limitations of the POT's line and make things more simple in the long run I feel.

As far as a SIP provider, for internet based I like Vitelity. You can easily get multiple channels of service and you only get charged for what you use essentially. They are very professional and very reliable. For a PRI or a leased PRI that would be through your local telco aka ATT, Verizon etc etc...

Thanks,
Donnie

jmcman

Guru
Reaction score
I'm not for ditching a POTS line in a mission-critical business situation. There are times where the internet and/or VoIP provider will be down and that's the time the POTS line shines.

Always consider your situation and all of the possible extremes surrounding it.

DarkQuark

Reaction score
In my experience there are often as many issues with POTs lines as a good PRI or SIP (leased line) provider. Different problems yes but problems none the less. For mission critical POT's makes a good "red phone" to call 911 when the power is out or something to that effect but I would not call it the end all be all of mission criticality. It really depends on the run and such but I will take a leased service running over fiber anyday over a copper line.

I have always used POT's for only very small sites typically. Once you go past 5-10 people a PRI or a SIP trunk makes far more sense and is usually cheaper per channel.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abuhyder
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.