RECOMMENDATIONS Porting Issues

Alex Hackney

Reaction score
One of my clients switched to a voip system I built them and now we're trying to port their number to a voip service provider. We've ran in to an issue though and it seems no one supports voip from this area. Is there a database to see who I can port to?

606833 is the exchange we're working with.

Reaction score
In the short term forward their main number to a voip incoming. For outgoing just use the same caller-id. Sometimes people have ported to a wireless carrier an THEN to a voip. A lot of this is BS and sometimes you have to go to the State or FCC. It's still a mess in some places. Check with another voip supplier like Flowroute.

billsimon

Reaction score
Local Calling Guide is a good resource. It doesn't tell you the VoIP providers exactly, but tells you the underlying carriers you're dealing with. In your case, the only carrier at the rate center is Windstream: http://localcallingguide.com/lca_exch.php?exch=070440

Unless you can get VoIP service from Windstream or an affiliate (I don't know who that would be) then you won't be able to port since no one else is serving that area.

islandtech

Wassamassaw
Reaction score
voip.ms portability checker states
"Our initial review indicates that the ratecenter RUSSELL is portable to our network."

Alex Hackney

Reaction score
Ah I tried voip.ms but included the 1 by mistake. Nice, since I'm already using them for this client. Basically doing what @briankelly63 suggested. Problem is they will only forward 1 call at a time.

I will initiate that transfer today. Thanks guys.

My preferred service, Flowroute, is not servicing the area yet. Although they are on the next town over.

islandtech

Wassamassaw
Reaction score
Might ask the current provider to provide multiple forwarding call paths. Most can provide that with an additional cost.

Alex Hackney

Reaction score
Yea I checked on that. They wanted 50 a path for it. Small business was trying to cut costs. Once I get ported to voipms I should be in the clear. Hopefully. :)

billsimon

Reaction score
Just curious, does this mean that voip.ms partners with Windstream (and a lot of other VoIP providers are not) or am I misunderstanding the information I pulled from localcallingguide?

atsak

Guru
Reaction score
There are lots and lots of carriers who partner with Windstream for origination. You should have no trouble with voip.ms, but there's plenty of options (Voip Innovations I am sure deals with them, for example).

Alex Hackney

Reaction score
It seems like I had this before, can't remember specifics but, I think I ported a client to voip.ms then was able to port that on to Flowroute.

Reaction score
Ah I tried voip.ms but included the 1 by mistake. Nice, since I'm already using them for this client. Basically doing what @briankelly63 suggested. Problem is they will only forward 1 call at a time.

I will initiate that transfer today. Thanks guys.

My preferred service, Flowroute, is not servicing the area yet. Although they are on the next town over.

See if you can get "multi-path" call forwarding. Generally cable and wireless providers do that by default. It's a simple setting at the POTS CO. It's not a well know term but it is defined. Maybe the Telco calls it something else. Often down for Dr's offices so that multiple, simultaneous calls will forward after hours to ans ser.

Alex Hackney

Reaction score
As I mentioned before, they offer it but at $50 a path(!). I spoke to the client they understand that it will be limited to 1 inbound until we get it ported. Hopefully it will be done in a good amount of time.

Alex Hackney

Reaction score
This is still an issue. We've been requesting the port for over 30 days. I guess I'm going to have to file a complaint with the FCC.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leocipriano
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.