I HAVE A DREAM PIAF4 Is Coming?

Reaction score
Configure two ESX servers using shared storage (NFS is probably easiest). Install PiaF on a virtual on one ESX server. Shut it down, and import the virtual into the other ESX server. Now you can have it running on one server or the other (but not both at the same time obviously). Power it up on one ESX host. If that host fails, power it up on the other.

If you want this to happen automatically, buy a vcenter license, or do a little power-shell scripting.

I've been involved with providing various HA solutions for many years, and I can assure you that most software's HA functionality is pretty dicey. Some works almost ok, some are utter crap, but none that I've come across are perfect. ESX, on the other hand, makes HA simple, foolproof, and best of all, it just works.

hecatae

resident hecatae
Reaction score
Cloud @ cost now offer Freebsd 10 as a vps, please may we have PIAF4 that can run on Freebsd?

rossiv

Guru
Reaction score
Cloud @ cost now offer Freebsd 10 as a vps, please may we have PIAF4 that can run on Freebsd?
From a quick Google search it doesn't appear that Asterisk runs natively on FreeBSD. I've been wrong before though.

synack

Guru
Reaction score
There appear to be ports for asterisk 1.8, 11, and 13, but I certainly would not want to be the maintainer of that. While they share much, there are just too many underlying differences between FreeBSD and Linux.

synack

Guru
Reaction score
However... support for Gentoo Linux would significantly close that gap :) nudge nudge....

synack

Guru
Reaction score
PiaF is a much bigger animal than just freepbx.
Take a look at the PiaF 3 installer, there are 100 or so packages that would need to be accounted for.
I'm pretty sure not one line in the installer would function as intended. The baselayout is not the same, no iptables etc.
It can be done, but who would maintain it?

lrosenman

Guru
Reaction score
There are Asterisk ports on FreeBSD, given that FreePBX is basically PHP, it should also be possible to port it.

If someone is interested, I can possibly help, and make a FreeBSD box available.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
If you want to wrestle with FreeBSD, I'd recommend you start with one of the Incredible PBX installers since all of the code is available to examine. :idea:

vic555

Reaction score
Now that I remember, from a post awhile ago, Joe was busy, with summer stuff, vacation and other projects. But I will defer to Joe and or if they are the primary developers.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
There's an open source flavor of Incredible PBX to meet any existing requirement. Start there if you're in a hurry.

mruge

Guru
Reaction score
Any updates? I need to reload my PIAF 2 server.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Not going to be a PIAF4. Should have some news on PIAF5 within the next month or so. :chef:

VaHam

Reaction score
How about inbound destination list(s) where incoming DIDs could be added like the blacklist but have all calls from the DIDs in the destination list sent to the specified destination for that list. This would make it easier to maintain inbound routes; for example have a "lenny list", a "family IVR list", "Ring without IVR list" etc.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
serhii
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.