PIONEERS PIAF3 with Fedora 20

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
CAUTION: Alpha Code! This is for Bleeding Edge Pioneers Only!

BqGTPYXCEAEY_n0.jpg:large

We've almost gotten Fedora 20 tamed so that you can use the standard PIAF3 installer to load PBX in a Flash on top of a base install of the 64-bit PIAF-FC20 Live Desktop Remix ISO (from us) or Fedora 20 Live Desktop Edition (from fedora.org). Fedora 20 is a very different beast than CentOS 6.5 so you'll need to get used to the "improvements." Most of it will be coming to CentOS 7.0 (now that RHEL 7 is available). It's also worth mentioning that Fedora 20 runs on the BeagleBone Black so this will provide a PIAF path to BBB down the road.

All of this experimentation has been using VirtualBox so here goes...

Caution: If you choose to use a different virtual machine platform, you're on your own. I'm not going to fix it, investigate it, or make suggestions. I doubt others will either. Choice of platform is your option so long as YOU take responsibility for getting it to work. ;)o_O

NOTE: A prebuilt VM appliance for VirtualBox is available from SourceForge. After downloading to your desktop, follow the old Nerd Vittles tutorial for VirtualBox to get it going.

Installing the Fedora Remix or Fedora 20 Platform

Download either the 64-bit PIAF-FC20 Live Desktop Remix ISO (from us) or 64-bit Fedora 20 Live Desktop ISO (from fedora.org)

Create a new Fedora 20 Virtual Machine in VirtualBox
  1. Type: Linux
  2. Version: Fedora
  3. RAM: 1024MB
  4. Default Drive Options with 20GB space
  5. Create
  6. Settings->System: Enable IO APIC and Disable HW Clock (leave rest alone)
  7. Settings->Audio: Enable
  8. Settings->Network: Enable, Bridged
  9. Settings->Storage: Far right CD icon (choose your ISO) and click Live CD/DVD
  10. Start
Go through the drill of installing Fedora 20 to your disk
  1. Start your Virtual Machine
  2. Start Fedora Live (be patient while it loads)
  3. Click: Install to Hard Drive
  4. Choose Language and Click Continue
  5. Click: Install Destination (do not change anything!)
  6. Click: Done
  7. Click: Continue (to autoconfigure disk)
  8. Click: Begin Installation
  9. Click: Root Password: password, password, Click Done twice
  10. Click: User Creation: admin, admin, password, password, Click Done twice
  11. Wait for Software Install and Setup to finish
  12. Click Quit
  13. Click Activities and Search for terminal
  14. Click Terminal icon
  15. shutdown -h now
  16. Close the VM window and choose Power Off Machine
Adjust Virtual Machine to Remove Live Image & Restart
  1. Settings->Storage: Click on Fedora Live ISO, Click (-) icon to remove, Click Remove, OK
  2. Restart Virtual Machine
Fedora 20 Initial Setup
  1. Accept default kernel for boot
  2. Click Admin user, enter password, Accept.
  3. Choose Language, Keyboard.
  4. Ignore Link to Data in Cloud, Next.
  5. Start Using Fedora.
  6. X to close Gnome Help window.
  7. Activities, Search: terminal, Terminal.
  8. su root
  9. init 3
  10. login as root
  11. ln -sf /lib/systemd/system/multi-user.target /etc/systemd/system/default.target
  12. service sshd start
  13. chkconfig --level 2345 sshd on
  14. ifconfig (decipher IP address for SSH login)
  15. shutdown -h now
Preliminary Fedora 20 Setup for PBX in a Flash
  1. Restart Virtual Machine
  2. Login as root using SSH after VM is running and...
Code:
cd /etc/yum.repos.d
# change gpgcheck=0 for all repos
yum -y install httpd* php wget nano iptables-services
sed -i 's|SELINUX=enforcing|SELINUX=disabled|' /etc/selinux/config
systemctl enable httpd.service
systemctl start httpd.service
systemctl stop firewalld.service
systemctl status firewalld.service
chkconfig --level 2345 firewalld off
cd /root
wget http://pbxinaflash.com/piaf3-install.tar.gz
tar zxvf piaf3-install.tar.gz
./piaf3-install

PIAF3 Installation Procedure
  1. Allow automated Phase 1 Install to complete (2,000+ new components added or updated)
  2. Phase 2: Following reboot, choose option C to exit to command prompt
  3. piafdl
  4. Flavor: PIAF-Green
  5. Enable make menuconfig option: Y <-- important--> double the size of your default SSH window!
  6. Time Zone: your choice
  7. FreePBX: 2.11
  8. Master password: your choice
  9. When menuconfig opens, press down arrow, right arrow, left arrow, and X (don't change anything)
  10. Wait for reboot and login again. The post-install script will run and leave you with a functional system.
Things That Still Don't Work
  1. Zend Guard Loader requires Zend Engine API version 220090626. Installed Zend Engine API version 220121212 is newer.
  2. .statusnet broken. ipaddress doesn't show in original status. Fedora doesn't rely on ethX ports any longer so we've built an interim version that works (see image above).
  3. PIAF/FreePBX password stuff is a mess (run behind a hardware-based firewall!!!)

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
An added advantage of using Fedora 20 is you get a full-featured, state-of-the-art desktop (or notebook) computer in addition to PBX in a Flash. From the VirtualBox appliance window, log in as root:password and type: init 5. Then login as admin:admin. Here's Firefox in two clicks with Asterisk and FreePBX still chugging along...

Bpto29iIQAA5Msn.jpg

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
And here's LibreOffice Writer in two-clicks...

BptqOioCMAIqT0x.jpg:large

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Might be time to dust off that old Dell desktop or notebook and try something new. Interconnecting Asterisk servers assures a secure telecommunications environment with zero NAT problems. Interconnection setup only takes a minute or two. Makes a perfect companion for those traveling or situated at remote locations.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Add Incredible PBX 11 and Travelin' Man 3 with just a couple extra steps:
Code:
cd /root
wget http://incrediblepbx.com/incrediblepbx11.gz
gunzip incrediblepbx11.gz
chmod +x incrediblepbx11
sed -i 's|exit 4|#exit 4|' incrediblepbx11
touch /root/initalboot
./incrediblepbx11

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
For those with an interest...

This VM appliance was built exactly as described in the first post of this thread. Once the build was completed, you then have to make the network connection sufficiently generic so that others can reuse it. Here are the steps:

HOW TO INITIALIZE VIRTUAL MACHINE FOR REDISTRIBUTION
Code:
touch /etc/firsttime
echo "[ -f /etc/firsttime ] && system-config-network && service network restart && /usr/local/sbin/motd2.sh > /etc/motd && rm -f /etc/firsttime" >> /root/.bash_profile
rm -f /var/lib/dhclient/*
# clean out NIC hardware settings in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-p2p1
# clean out Asterisk database entries for /dundi/secret and /dundi/secretexpiry
# clean out logs
# clean out /root/.bash_history
# clean out /root/.asterisk_history
# NOTE: SSH credentials have not been reinitialized!
# If you're using this for more than your own experimentation, do the following 3 steps and reboot:
#rm /etc/ssh/ssh_host*
#rpm -e openssh-server
#yum -y install openssh-server

Bob Helbush

Reaction score
New Fedora 20 Remix appliance for VirtualBox (Alpha code!). Spin is now available for download (3.1GB) from SourceForge. Follow the Nerd Vittles VirtualBox tutorial to install.

Gave it a try. I've got network issues. Comes up at 127.0.0.1 at the login screen. The last PIAF 3 VM runs fine on the same setup. I remembered to tweak the audio and network settings in Virtual Box.

Once I login I get the setup screens for the network. Gave it my best shot trying DHCP and static IP, but no glory yet. I launched the desktop. No connectivity there either, but it is a cool bonus feature.

Might be a corrupt download. Going to try again.

Bob Helbush

Reaction score
Gave it a try. I've got network issues. Comes up at 127.0.0.1 at the login screen. The last PIAF 3 VM runs fine on the same setup. I remembered to tweak the audio and network settings in Virtual Box.

Once I login I get the setup screens for the network. Gave it my best shot trying DHCP and static IP, but no glory yet. I launched the desktop. No connectivity there either, but it is a cool bonus feature.

Might be a corrupt download. Going to try again.

Fresh download and it's working. Local loopback IP above login screen is normal as is network configuration screens after. Password for Fedora desktop is password.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Glad it's working. Should you have to reconfigure your network, it's two steps:
Code:
system-config-network
/etc/rc.d/init.d/network restart
Then, ifconfig should show your new IP address.

Bob Helbush

Reaction score
To follow up, I installed Incredible 11, configured Google Voice and Yate. So far everything I've tested works.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
SSL for Apache is now working. Tutorial has been amended above. If you've already installed Fedora 20 previously or if you're running the prebuilt appliance, here's the fix:
Code:
yum -y install mod_ssl
mv /etc/httpd/conf.d/ssl.conf.fails /etc/httpd/conf.d/ssl.conf
sed -i 's|SSLMutex|Mutex sysvsem|' /etc/httpd/conf.d/ssl.conf
service httpd restart

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Fail2Ban is now working. Tutorial has been amended. status still shows OFFLINE even though it isn't. Here's the fix if you've already installed Fedora 20 or if you're running the appliance:
Code:
touch /var/log/secure
service fail2ban start

darmock

PIAF Developer
Reaction score
There are a number of things that need to be updated in order to provide full functionality under fedora. Tis on the list along with RH7 awareness that being said anyone want to donate a couple pf RH7 server licenses to the cause?

We will update things as soon as possible and push most of it out as update-fixes.

Tom

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Here's a new status app for Fedora 20 to tide you over...
Code:
cd /usr/local/sbin
wget http://pbxinaflash.com/status-fl.tar.gz
tar zxvf status-fl.tar.gz
rm status-fl.tar.gz
status

BqAvSlcCIAAP2Jp.jpg:large

phoneguy

Guru
Reaction score
FreePBX 2.11 Commercial Modules will never work on this since we require php 5.3. Also their are known issues with php 5.4 and 5.5 with FreePBX 2.11 so be careful and make sure to open bug reports at issues.freepbx.org if you find bugs. Chances are they wont be fixed in 2.11 but 12 only.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Need a good (free) softphone for the Gnome desktop? Zoiper works like a champ and is easy to install from the Firefox browser...

BqWaooNIYAEKdNo.jpg:large

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abuhyder
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.