PIONEERS PIAF2 in Amazon EC2

panteradrummer66

Reaction score
Hello,

For those interested in taking advantage of Amazon's free EC2 instance teir, I have spent the last few weeks working on getting the 2.6.2.1 version of PIAF created in an AMI.

It's nothing official, but it's as good as I can get with the limited knowledge I have of their scripts and how they run.

For those interested in trying it out, simply create an amazon aws account (it's free). Lanch a new AMI using the image name "CentOS-6.2-PIAF-2.6.2.1-i686."

I'm interested in seeing how well I did and what I'm missing if anything.

Feedback is always welcome (positive or negative) and thank you for trying it out. :D

panteradrummer66

Reaction score
install script

Hey ward, during the install and prior to dahdi compilation, there is a 2 part update. part one works, but part two tries to install some more packages with a bunch of dependencies. Any chance I could have a look at what it's installing during that time?

It fails the yum install because qemu-kvm is a required dependency of openstack-nova-2011.3-8.el6.noarch.

qemu-kvm doesn't have a i686 version. and i'm not sure what else it installs during that process. any chance i could check out the script it's using?

darmock

PIAF Developer
Reaction score
yum -y install glibc* yum-fastestmirror opens* anaconda* samba* poppler-utils libsmbclient perl-Digest-SHA1 perl-Crypt-SSLeay xorg-x11-drv-qxl dialog binutils* webmin mc sqlite sqlite-devel libstdc++-devel

this is the stage 2 install

good luck with qemu-kvm. rhel has found a security bug in it plus when I try to rebuild the source under 32bit it appears as if certain components are missing from the kernel or not activated.

I spent 20mins in dependency hell trying to install FC versions of qemu..... too many dependencies plus it looks like they are using a different version of glibc so without rebuilding the whole of PIAF ..... stick with 64 bit although pay attentions the the various warnings that have come out via Red Hat regarding qemu.

Tom

panteradrummer66

Reaction score
According to http://pkgs.org/centos-6-rhel-6/epel-i386/openstack-nova-2011.3-8.el6.noarch.rpm.html

openstack requires:

/bin/bash
/bin/sh
/bin/sh
/usr/bin/env
/usr/bin/python
MySQL-python
chkconfig
chkconfig
config(openstack-nova) = 2011.3-8.el6
euca2ools
initscripts
libvirt >= 0.8.2
libvirt-python
libxml2-python
openssl
openstack-glance
python-cheetah
python-nova = 2011.3-8.el6
python-paste
python-paste-deploy
qemu-kvm
rabbitmq-server
shadow-utils
sudo

darmock

PIAF Developer
Reaction score
yup but we don't install some of these on default installs. Also the qemu-kvm is not available for 32 bit centos 6.2 boxes. Some of your required dependencies are loaded by default later on however but not all.

You should compare the installed list of rpm's from a working recent piaf 2062 installed system with your requirements and whittle the list down somewhat. Once you have then you will have a list of what the actual dependencies are. From there you can formulate a plan on how to approach installing these requirements.

Unfortunately my guess is they have to be present in the actual ISO install which would mean a custom ISO just for EC2. Hopefully I am wrong. This would increase the size of the ISO and also change a number of the install files.

So can you get standard Centos 6.2 - 32 bit running in amazon ec2?

Tom

panteradrummer66

Reaction score
Yup, in fact your "compare dependancy" approach is exactly how I got everything running. just did a rpm query on one box and a yum install of the output on the other. at this point I have narrowed it down to only not having openstack-nova installed.

So far i have a red and purple instance running in EC2 with some quirks, but minimal issues. The incrediblefax install script from incrediblepbx fails though...other than that, and an inability to upgrade the PHPAGI module to 2.10, it all seems to work great.

I know FreePBX 2.10 is still in RC and hasn't been fully released yet. For now I'm staying on 2.9.

panteradrummer66

Reaction score
Next Steps

At this point, my next steps are to create a PIAF VM on a XenServer. Then attempt to import the disk to EC2. The only hurdle is the Virtual Disks are about 10GB, and i'm not sure about you, but that would take about 2 days to upload from a home internet connection....:banghead:

darmock

PIAF Developer
Reaction score
Yup, in fact your "compare dependancy" approach is exactly how I got everything running. just did a rpm query on one box and a yum install of the output on the other. at this point I have narrowed it down to only not having openstack-nova installed.

So far i have a red and purple instance running in EC2 with some quirks, but minimal issues. The incrediblefax install script from incrediblepbx fails though...other than that, and an inability to upgrade the PHPAGI module to 2.10, it all seems to work great.

I know FreePBX 2.10 is still in RC and hasn't been fully released yet. For now I'm staying on 2.9.
Exactly how does it fail? You need to be more specific......

Tom

panteradrummer66

Reaction score
Sorry, i'm still troubleshooting it.

The script seems to work ok, but it never moves the avantfax folder to /var/www/html. And the rh-prefs.txt file in avantfax errors out when running rh-install manually.

So far haven't figured out why, other than the part of rh-install.sh that calls the file:

. rh-prefs.txt

doesn't pull in the file.

panteradrummer66

Reaction score
so the rh-prefs.txt contains all the variables for rh-install.sh for avantfax. I'm going through the incrediblefax.sh now to see if i can figure out why it's not moving the folders.

darmock

PIAF Developer
Reaction score
The stuff in the incrediblefax.sh is not for centos 6.2 nor does the install-incredfax2 use any of the conventions or methods that were in that file. (so I am told) Also you have to use the stuff that comes with the install and not the generic avantfax as it does not work out of the box with Centos 6.2. Always run the install from /usr/src/avantfax. There are a number of files in the avantfax folder that are customized which you can muck with as you see fit I only spent a month finding the right combo to make it work in standard installs.

If hylafax or iaxmodem failed during install then this is where you must look. I would always start in the /var/log/install-incredfax2.log and see if anything goes wrong.

Beyond that I dont know where to point you.

Tom

panteradrummer66

Reaction score
So I just created a 64-bit version of 2.6.2.1. So far the piafdl worked perfectly.

Going to test out the incrediblepbx script next.

panteradrummer66

Reaction score
OK, so apparently I can't read when it gets late. Didn't see that incrediblepbx2.9 wasn't compatible with the 64bit version of PIAF. Any word on making a 64bit compatible version?

darmock

PIAF Developer
Reaction score
you are reading the wrong information. the new version which is included with all new installs should work just fine under 64bit. The old version of incredible pbx does not. Did you use the install-incredpbx3 off of the pbx-menu?

I assume you were using the directions on Nerdvittles for the incredible pbx. These ONLY apply to PIAF 1757.

I know when we tested the install-incredpbx3 it worked just fine in our lab. Works on hardware and our virtualization systems. (vmware workstation 8/proxmox 1.8/Xen [thanks Rent PBX])

Ward will eventually update Nerdvittles to differentiate between the various incantations of incredible. Suffice to say if you are using Centos 6.2 based PBX in a Flash - version 2.0.6.2.x or above you have to use the programs that are included with our distro. Anything else is not supported and usually just does not work well under Centos 6.2 and above. look through pbx-menu and then report problems with these programs instead of rolling your own by hand.

good luck

Tom

panteradrummer66

Reaction score
Wow, I really need to read more. I have been running the old 5.7 release for so long, i failed to notice the pbx-menu option. I will try this on the x64 system and let you know. So far the x64 system has been the least buggy.

panteradrummer66

Reaction score
Just realized i need to re-run my setup. the new incrediblepbx isn't compatible with FreePBX 10

darmock

PIAF Developer
Reaction score
Yep while it is available on 1757. NONE of the latest programs are on it. They are SPECIFIC to PIAF 2062x I am afraid.

As fpr the 2.10 .. I know while I was developing the latest I couldnt figure out why every time I installed it on a 2.10 system 2.9 appeared! Took me a few hours..... his is why you can only install it on 2.9 based systems for the moment. Once freepbx 2.10 has gone to full release status then we will develop the incredible pbx for freepnx 2.10

Tom

panteradrummer66

Reaction score
New x64 AMI created

I have just created a 64-bit AMI of PIAF 2.6.2.1. When searching for an AMI, simply type "CentOS-6.2-PIAF-2.0.6.2-x86-64" in the search bar.

After the instance has launched, run the piafdl command and select your desired asterisk version.

As always feedback is welcome, and good luck running your pbx in the cloud.

:cool:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leocipriano
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.