TRY THIS PIAF Ver 2.0.6.5 ISO To Fit On CD Rom

b0b z33

Reaction score
We have a real old 1U server and it only has a CD Rom, Plus it will not recognize a DVD Rom via USB to boot from due to driver and/or bios issues

I'm sure there is a work around (there always is) but we're so new to this the pain/reward ratio is too high right now

Thanks

b0b z33

Reaction score
BTW what is the major differences between 2.0.6.4.5 & 2.0.6.5.0?

Could we upgrade centOs without borking 2.0.6.4.5?

rossiv

Guru
Reaction score
No, as Hyksos said upgrading is not possible.
Lots of differences between 2.0.6.4.5 and 2.0.6.5.0. Namely the upgrade from CentOS 6.4 to 6.5. Lots of changes there with different versions of PHP, Apache, etc.

Porch

Guru
Reaction score
Just install it on a different computer with a working DVD drive and then swap the hard drive over to the 1U.

darmock

PIAF Developer
Reaction score
that may not work! Unfortunately the iso size is a fact of life and it is not going to change. Also as centos revisions occur fewer and fewer older hardware platforms are going to be supported and we all have to move in.

Tom

Porch

Guru
Reaction score
I don't think you are going to run into legacy hardware issues. Linux in general is good with keeping support with the old stuff.
Installing on a different system and swapping the hard drive does work most of the time. I found it's often faster to install, then update on a faster system, then swap the drive into the slower production box.

phoneguy

Guru
Reaction score
Why do you say upgrading from CentOS 6.4 to 6.5 is hard. I hear this from PBXiaF everytime a new CentOS version comes out? I guess I am just surprised that you would tell people to always reinstall. These are PBX's they should rarely need a reinstall for simple upgrades.

darmock

PIAF Developer
Reaction score
Glad it works flawlessly for you! What we recommend is as follows:

1. There is NO NEED TO UPGRADE TO THE NEXT VERSION OF CENTOS UNLESS.... a verifiable and reproducible security hole necessitates this AND it has been announced in our forums that it is a good idea.

2. For all new installs we RECOMMEND you use the latest fully released ISO INSTEAD of the older ISO's. We sometimes build in new features on the latest ISO that WONT be installed if you use the older one

3. We no longer allow the in place upgrade from Centos 6.x to 6.newer. Of course there has never been and OFFICIAL upgrade path between major revisions such as 5.X to 6.X we tend to follow what Centos does as usually it makes the most sense with the exception of the automated upgrades in minor versions. We have decided as a project to not offer minor upgrades in Centos as part of our development schema. There have been times in the past when upgrading between minor versions has caused major problems thus our position.

4. If your system is working for you then NEVER EVER UPGRADE! Unless point 1 has been recommended. Until recently I one of my commercial clients had the original PIAF 1.1 system running with no problems and never ever an upgrade to centos. The machine finally died and we installed the current ISO on a new machine all is well.

So thanks for your insight and comments... we will still beat our heads against a rock just because it is our rock

Tom

xrobau

Guru
Reaction score
We no longer allow the in place upgrade from Centos 6.x to 6.newer

Can I -strongly urge- you to reconsider that?

There have been times in the past when upgrading between minor versions has caused major problems thus our position.

The only 'problem' that I'm aware of in the RHEL 6 upgrade chain was the well documented and well announced removal of crm and replacement with pcs. As you guys aren't doing clustering, I'm slightly concerned that you guys have found something _else_.

Did you report it to Redhat/CentOS?

--Rob

phoneguy

Guru
Reaction score
But how do you handle security fixes and exploits that are only fixed in newer sub releases since once a new sub release comes out not much ever gets fixed in a older CentOS.

darmock

PIAF Developer
Reaction score
Can I -strongly urge- you to reconsider that?

The only 'problem' that I'm aware of in the RHEL 6 upgrade chain was the well documented and well announced removal of crm and replacement with pcs. As you guys aren't doing clustering, I'm slightly concerned that you guys have found something _else_.

Did you report it to Redhat/CentOS?

--Rob
Generally the problems that have occurred are related to the way asterisk/zaptel/et al compile and not something that Centos/rhel will fix. I talk directly to the centos guys if something untoward pops up Generally we fix it on our side as it only affects our users.

As for reconsidering. It is your box to do with as you please if you want to upgrade your install be my guest. Since we have turned off auto updates for incremental versions you have to manually CHOOSE to upgrade as opposed to Centos "CHOOSING FOR YOU". That being said every time there is a kernel update dahdi must be recompiled and thus why we turned off the automatic upgrading kernel since PIAF 1.0

Update-source will eventually have a "button" that will allow you to update minor versions but until then you have to do it by hand. Since we still use the base CentOS repos and not our own repo (like some other distros) We have opted to do it this way. If and when we see something that indicates that an upgrade between minor versions needs to occur we will tell everyone to *think* about upgrading and how to do it. THey still can do it manually if they so desire. Eventually we will move to our own repo that we will be able to control better and ensure we have the most stable platform possible.

Tony as always thanks for your insight .........

Tom

phoneguy

Guru
Reaction score
And if someone choose to update CentOS what script do they run to recompile DAHDI on your systems? I ask as we keep getting asked by people how to update the kernel on your systems and also update DAHDI to 2.8 since Digium is not longer shipping their previous AEX cards and the new cards only work with DAHDI 2.8

darmock

PIAF Developer
Reaction score
update-source will upgrade the kernel and Dahdi if they choose. As follows

1. Edit /etc/pbx/digiumsource.conf and change the version of dahdi to what you want

DAHDI="dahdi-linux-complete-2.8.0.1+2.8.0"

2. Run update-source choose to update the kernel

3. When update-source is finished you should have everything you want

4. Update-source is inherently experimental however I use it on several hundred commercial installs I maintain and it works fine.

5. At the moment the update - operating system choice is not there; however we are firmly committed to people having the right to go to hell in their own way so it is on the list of additions to do for our family of products.

6. I finally got a new digium card as some secret santa sent me one. Once we have tested it in our distro we will switch the default version of dahdi to 2.8. Oddly we have not had more than one request to update dahdi to 2.8..... YMMV

7. As a suggestion since you are doing support for PIAF perhaps some monthly statistics would be in order from you listing the most common problems? This way we could detect trends although based on what information has been provided in the past it does not seem that there are that many support calls for PIAF based systems.

As Always thanks for you insightful comments

Tom

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
troutpocket
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.