GO HERE PIAF Newbie Veteran: TTS Help

thewisp

Reaction score
Ooh Buddy!!!

I have been running any given flavor of PiaF for close to 10 years (I think). In the past, when I need to spin up a server, or rebuild my current installation; I come grab the latest and greatest, follow its Tut, and off I go.

But its been awhile since I needed to modify our PBX, and after a recent hack, I am in the midst of a rebuild again. (Probably because I completely left the PBX alone for multiple years, oops).

Now there is PiaF 3 or 5 or different colors, or xivo, or 11 through 13. My head spins trying to grasp the spinoffs. Well, I gave Wazo a try, and quickly decided it was going to take to much time to invest to bring myself up to speed with its differences (im not a PBX admin, but a wireless ISP admin). So, I spun up an Incredible PiaF 12, and have it up and running to our needs again.

Finally, on to my question. I have a python script that I made that uses the googletts-agi, which I believe is now dead. The script curl's a page on our website that has our latest tweet (our current network status) and then feeds it to googletts. This was great when it worked. We could update our twitter, and customers could see our network outage status there, or on our website, or read to them when calling in for technical support.

So, now that googletts-agi is dead, and most of the new tts work (IBM and Amazon) has tutorials for only Wazo, whats a simple PiaF dabbler like myself todo?

Ideally, I would like to simply replace the google portion of my python script with IBM (or any nice tts that is). Flite will not do, its just too hard for a majority of our customers to understand it (tried and had had awful feedback).

I would VERY much appreciate some guidance here. Thanks a ton in advance!

Cheers!

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
@thewisp: Welcome back! The closest match to what you're accustomed to is probably Incredible PBX 13 for CentOS 6.9. Tutorial here.

Replacing Google TTS with IBM TTS is covered in this Nerd Vittles article. Incredible PBX for Issabel and Incredible PBX 13 work exactly the same. Good luck!

By the way, the latest Google TTS works fine. I've attached our working copy below.

FYI: The way our TTS-dependent apps are designed now is (1) the dialplan answers the call, (2) sends the query to an AGI script to collect the text, e.g. news or weather, and (3) sends the text to a TTS AGI script to "play" the results to the caller. This makes it easy to separate the application code for news, weather, sports scores, database lookups, etc. from the actual TTS engine. You might want to consider this approach for your own curl application. As more and more TTS alternatives become available (syntax for 4 are shown below), it'll make it simpler to swap out the TTS component moving forward.

Sample dialplan:
Code:
;# // BEGIN nv-news-yahoo
exten => 951,1,Answer
exten => 951,n,Wait(1)
exten => 951,n,Set(TIMEOUT(digit)=7)
exten => 951,n,Set(TIMEOUT(response)=10)
;exten => 951,n(proceed),agi(picotts.agi,"Please hold a moment while we retrieve the latest Yahoo news headlines.",en-US)
exten => 951,n,Playback(/var/lib/asterisk/agi-bin/pleaseholdyahoo)
exten => 951,n,AGI(nv-news-yahoo.php,10) ; returns data for 10 headlines in NEWS variable
exten => 951,n,NoOp(News: ${NEWS})
;exten => 951,n,Flite("${NEWS}")
;exten => 951,n,AGI(googletts.agi,"${NEWS}",en)
;exten => 951,n,AGI(picotts.agi,"${NEWS}",en-US)
exten => 951,n,AGI(ibmtts.php,"${NEWS}")
exten => 951,n,Hangup
;# // END nv-news-yahoo

Attachments

• googletts.tar.gz
    4.3 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

mainenotarynet

Not really a Guru - Just a long time user
Reaction score
See Mr Mundy, I'm not the only one who found the learning curve of WAZO very confusing and time consuming :smile5:

I have the IPBX 13 with asterisk 13.7.2set and running EXCEPT the Pager text is really strange (there is a post on here from someone else - same problem -- never answered for over a year)

I have a cell phone with the correect format [email protected] (even tried @mms.att.net) same wierd text. Probably either a FreePBX bug or Asterisk glitch but who knows.

mainenotarynet

Reaction score
Because I'm already at IncrediblePBX 13-12-.3 on CentOS 7 with Asterisk 13.17.2 and just encountered a BIG problem. Need to start a new thread but don't know if it's a bug or voip.ms isn't sending it

Bad call DID sends to Lenny -Legit got caught in the web yesterday All trunks from voipms.and only 3 DIDs pull this stuff
<code>
Executing [s@from-trunk:1] ExecIf("SIP/hamradio-00000001", "1?Set(__FROM_DID=s)") in new stack
</code>

On a Good Call I get:
<code>-- Executing [<goodcid2591>@from-trunk:1] Set("SIP/notarypublic-00000010", "__FROM_DID=<goodcid2591>") in new stack
</code>

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Major crashes with Asterisk 13.17.2 using FreePBX 12 packages. You'll either need to move up to 13.18 or back to 13.15.1 to avoid crashes when you reload the dialplan in the GUI more than once.

mainenotarynet

Reaction score
Can I upgrade in place? I don't want to keep doing this -- I have NEVER been able to get backups to work on ANY of the FreePBX boxes I've had. And it takes me 2 weeks to get back to where I am now.

Or what is so great about 13-13? and from what I've read it is not Incredible yet so why go there now?

I don't mean to be difficult -- this is on 3 DIDs only from what I can tell so far and having to rebuid AGAIN is just TOO much

I had purple for years and Since I wanted Bluemix, Polly (which I made ther recordings in AWS and they do work, just not on the fly stuff (BlueMix would but they didn't like my payment information -- I won't fight for free - I'd never go over their free character limit, PicoTTS will be fine. I did see Today.txt is reading wierdly on my box though -- don't use this anyways so..

Last edited:

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
If you've made it this long, you can probably weather a couple more weeks. Then all the new pieces for Incredible PBX 13-13 should be in place. You're part of the reason we're doing this. It's a much improved FreePBX release and will also support Asterisk 15 moving forward. As you have noted, the Achilles Heel for FreePBX has always been backups because they store stuff in text files, linked files, Asterisk config files, MySQL tables, and SQLite3. That makes it really hard to get a good snapshot unless you do a disk image (HINT: Vultr or VirtualBox or VMware).

thewisp

Reaction score
Thank you very much Mr. Mundy!

I attempted the agi method, but was unsure of how to write the PHP file to send the variable back. Additionally, the builtin yahoo news results in an error (which I was using as a reference, and my server is at default from rentpbx.com). I have it working now though using my curl method, thanks again!

MacNix

Guru
Reaction score
Can I upgrade in place? I don't want to keep doing this -- I have NEVER been able to get backups to work on ANY of the FreePBX boxes I've had. And it takes me 2 weeks to get back to where I am now.

Or what is so great about 13-13? and from what I've read it is not Incredible yet so why go there now?

I don't mean to be difficult -- this is on 3 DIDs only from what I can tell so far and having to rebuid AGAIN is just TOO much

I had purple for years and Since I wanted Bluemix, Polly (which I made ther recordings in AWS and they do work, just not on the fly stuff (BlueMix would but they didn't like my payment information -- I won't fight for free - I'd never go over their free character limit, PicoTTS will be fine. I did see Today.txt is reading wierdly on my box though -- don't use this anyways so..
you aren't the only one.
I'm in the midst of rebuilding (from scratch) for a client, because the 11.10 version we installed way back when just WILL NOT restore properly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frapu
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.