GOOD NEWS PIAF + GoIP GSM Gateway

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score

Just a heads up for anyone that may be considering a GSM gateway for your PBX in a Flash server. This $150 unit is fantastic. We now have inbound and outbound calls working plus inbound and outbound SMS. And it all uses any extension on your PIAF server.

SETUP: You basically plug in a GSM SIM card (we've tested with StraightTalk's AT&T-compatible SIM card but any of the "WalMart GSM specials" or the T-Mobile pay-by-the day plans should work since you don't really need the data component), adjust a few default configuration settings on the GoIP to tell it where your Asterisk server resides and how you'd like to route inbound cellphone calls and how to handle SMS messages, add a FreePBX trunk to handle inbound and outbound calling via the GSM gateway and SMS messaging through your GoIP device, and in about 5 minutes you'll have a 24x7 GSM/Asterisk gateway and SMS messaging center.

We would have saved this surprise until the Nerd Vittles article appears, but it takes 2+ weeks to get delivery of the GoIP from China so... get in the queue. You're gonna love the flexibility and redundancy that this device provides.

Our plan is to build a complete SMS messaging solution using Google TTS and STT tools that will let you pick up a phone and dictate an SMS message for delivery to any phone number you key in. And when SMS replies are received, they will be delivered both by phone and email.

You can click on the image above to visit the eBay site of the vendor we used to order our unit. It arrived exactly 2 weeks after we placed the order.

leemason

Guru
Reaction score
Very interesting. Looks like they do some bigger boxes as well: http://www.hybertone.com/en/products.asp.

I've started using the OpenVOX VS-GW1600-4G VoxStack GSM Gateway and it seems a pretty good box so far if you need something bigger. It is itself an Asterisk based system so trunking with PIAF is pretty good.

Porch

Guru
Reaction score
It's not advertised online, but Wally World has a t-mobile plan that has unlimited 4G/Text and 100 minutes of talk for $30 a month. Pay as you go. It's 10 cents a min after the 100.

sukasem

Guru
Reaction score
Any device that works with AWS? I would buy one. I know one that use Bluetooth but it seem there is an issue with DTMF?
I gonna build almost free call on cell phone. In Canada has Wind Mobile has Wind to Wind calling $5 a month on prepaid. I would have unlimited cell phone calling for $5.
Well not quite because I have to refill $40 every 6 months.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
sukasem: Don't know why GoIP wouldn't work with AWS. It's a pure SIP trunk as far as Asterisk is concerned. DTMF is another matter. In theory it should work. Mine doesn't. Not sure if it's a carrier problem, poor signal, or internal DTMF issue with GoIP. But, if you really need DTMF, you might want to get one and try it with different settings. I've tried all of them without much luck. I do get a few of the digits I dial, just not all of them. That makes me think it's a signal deficiency rather than a design defect. There is a 60-day return policy with the vendor I recommended. You have to pay return shipping to China.

RizSher

Guru
Reaction score
Following the instructions on NV, I’ve been able to set up GoIP such that whenever anyone calls the GSM number of the box, it points to a ring group in FreePBX, and 3 of my extensions start ringing.
However, I use DISA with CallerID , set up so that a couple of my family cellphones configured in InBound Routes with, for e.g. Any DID/714DadPhone, which points to a DISA as a custom destination. This allows them to call, for e.g. my Google Voice number, get a dlatone, and then call out internationally.
Not sure how I would make that work with GoIP – given there is only one PSTN to VoIP defined under GoIP. Any tips?.

RizSher

Guru
Reaction score
Have a feeling it won't be of much use untill DTMF recognition gets sorted. With the GoIP pointing directly to a DISA, I was able to get remote dialtone by calling the GoIP GSM number, but, it didn't manage to accept any of the phone numbers I tried; either they were being interpreted wrong, or, in most cases, it recognised all the number correctly, but dropped 2 or 3 digits randomely. Not sure how SMS call back would work any better (haven't tried it yet), cos things seem to go south after the dialtone.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
DTMF with SMS callback will work fine because you'd typically be using your "normal" trunks for the return call. That would probably be the better route to take for DISA as well, i.e. send SMS message and get return call with prompt for DISA password.

RizSher

Guru
Reaction score
I'm not having much luck with sms call back, sending tahe sms tonthe goip with the pin results in no a peep on asterisk cli... Have followed the instructions on nv to the dot.. Outbound routes work, incoming calls to the goip number ring my rings groups..but sms results in deadly silence.

Btw, how would dtmf work better when the call back would be through the gsm line as well?

Oh right, I kinda get it now, that would be the case if one were based in US, ehere the call back to the cell could go through google or a local trunk, im trying to achieve this in Trinidad n Tobago, using goip to bridge my US trunks.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
You'd still have the DTMF problem if the callback was through the GoIP trunk.

p.s. Trinidad n Tobago were some of my favorite postage stamps in my stamp collecting days (a few years ago). :thumbsup:

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
Just got mine in today. Plan to use it for failover when internet goes down for a condo for their fire-alarm lines. With T-Mobile and their family plans, you can add an extra line of unlimited text, data, minutes for just $10 / month. So that's what I'm going to try.

RizSher

Guru
Reaction score
You'd still have the DTMF problem if the callback was through the GoIP trunk.

p.s. Trinidad n Tobago were some of my favorite postage stamps in my stamp collecting days (a few years ago). :thumbsup:

Hmmm... a tad bit disappointing.. though surprisingly (or randomely) I tried a remote dial from my wife's iphone, and the call went through - that had better be a fluke, or else this would proabbly the first and only time an iphone has bested my android phone.!!!

Ward, this is my 4th day in T&T, shall look into the stamps!!!

So, as a work around, can the NV app be modified such that, you send an SMS with password AND the number you wish to dial, and astersik calls back, and bridges the calls?.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
So, as a work around, can the NV app be modified such that, you send an SMS with password AND the number you wish to dial, and Asterisk calls back, and bridges the calls?.

That's certainly possible although you would also want to send a very good password for verification. Otherwise, expect a HUGE phone bill when the bad guys figure out how to send their own SMS commands to your PBX. :donatello:

RizSher

Guru
Reaction score
The way GoIP is setup, calls are hard coded in the GoIP to be forwarded to a destination in asterisk...an extension, ring group etc etc. This bypassed the inbound routes which I've set-up based on callerID to goto different destinations- Is it at all possible to somehow, setup the GoIP call to hit my inbound routes?

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
No way that I'm aware of short of hardcoding an extensions context in extensions_custom.conf that does what you need. Extensions in FreePBX don't yet have the needed flexibility.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
First, figure out which inbound route you want to direct incoming GoIP calls to. Second, make a call that uses that inbound route and watch the Asterisk CLI to get the proper context for routing the call to that context. Third, create a custom extension in extensions_custom.conf that routes calls placed to that extension to the appropriate inbound route context. Fourth, adjust your GoIP forwarding destination for the incoming calls accordingly...

BYy3EWKCAAAZClm.jpg:large

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
OK - finally had time to play with this. I've got it setup and working for in/out calls. (Using T-Mobile SIM) - the quality however is not as clean as I had hoped for. It's almost as if the voice spectrum is less - with the highs and lows being cut. Anyone else experience anything like this? Thoughts? (using Ulaw)

Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.