TIPS PIAF 3 Backup Data

Tehnation

Reaction score
My physical phone server hd crashed, so I said let me put it in the cloud. It had been running an old version of piaf green with anveodirect for years without any problems.

I have my new piaf green setup running on amazon ec2 but I can't remember how I configured everything, ie trunks, dids, inbound/outbound routes etc. I have some backup files which I had used in the past, but with this new piaf green and amazon ec2, when I run this backup file everything goes fubar, i tried both the backup mod and the gui backup.

So my question is where are the meat and potatoes of this backup file, I've been trying to find which files and folders contain the info I need in the backup file so I can just input it manually. Does anyone know the location and names of the files that has all the info I need to get me back up?

in my main backup file are: folders etc and var, and files .lock, astdb, manifest, mysql
-3.sql and myql-4.sql.

Can anyone point me in the right direction ?

Last edited:

billsimon

Reaction score
The most readable information will be in the etc/asterisk folder in sip_additional.conf (extensions and trunks), extensions_additional.conf (inbound and outbound routes), and voicemail.conf (PINs and email forwarding).

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
You really, really need to get off that platform. It is no longer supported, and anything less than a full image backup is going to leave you stranded if it hasn't already.

All of the new Incredible PBX platforms for Issabel, Wazo, CentOS 6, Ubuntu 14.04, and Raspbian have easy-to-use backup and restore utilities.

Just finished a tutorial on the Issabel backup and restore procedure this morning. Issabel is an easy migration from PIAF 3 platforms.

Tehnation

Reaction score
I was reading articles about 3cx piaf5, I didn't want to port all my numbers to 3cx, i have over 50, which is why i went with the old piaf green. Can you use piaf5 without having to utilize 3cx? Will it work with my free amazon aws account?

8 free trunks is worth moving everything if the cost is right. My pbx just forwards calls from dids to other phone numbers.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
I was reading articles about 3cx piaf5, I didn't want to port all my numbers to 3cx, i have over 50, which is why i went with the old piaf green. Can you use piaf5 without having to utilize 3cx? Will it work with my free amazon aws account?

8 free trunks is worth moving everything if the cost is right. My pbx just forwards calls from dids to other phone numbers.

Can't use PIAF5 without 3CX. Nerd Vittles version provides unlimited trunks but only 4 simultaneous calls. Each call in would be a call, and each forwarded call would be a second call. They obviously have commercial versions with considerably more simultaneous calls. Should work fine with Amazon although I haven't personally tried it.

Tehnation

Reaction score
Why does the 3xc version offer 8 sim calls? That seems odd, their version offers more. What's the big difference between their version and Nerd Vittles version? I have 10 sip trunks for 112 bucks a month, I would do the 8 sim calls but not 4. Is there a piaf version other than 5 that's still supported? Piaf green worked fine for me, I never needed any support for 3+ years, so I may stick with it.

"Try out the PBX edition and say goodbye to tedious admin tasks and security headaches. 3CX’s free PBX edition is for 8 simultaneous calls, unlimited extensions, 5 free web conferencing participants and 1 SIP trunk. "

How do you make 8 sim calls on 1 trunk? I'm not understanding the difference between sim calls and sip trunks.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
A trunk is a path for calls. Calls are just that, i.e. a communications link between Point A and Point B. The 8 simultaneous calls free version supports only one trunk. The Nerd Vittles free version supports unlimited trunks and 4 simultaneous calls.

Tehnation

Reaction score
Whats the point of being able to have 8 calls, but one trunk or unlimited trunks but only being able to make 4 calls? In my head that means you can only make 1 call for c3x version or 4 calls with NV version. I'm missing something lol! Is this an internal/external network thing? I thought one trunk can support one call, or can a trunk support more than one call?

Last edited:

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Depending on your trunk provider, one registered trunk can support any number of simultaneous calls. Keep in mind that 3CX is a commercial PBX. They obviously don't want to sell the farm with their free versions. There are commercial versions supporting as many trunks and simultaneous calls as you need. Software sales pay the bills including future software development.

If cost is your concern, there are at least a half dozen versions of Incredible PBX, all of which are free with unlimited simultaneous calls and trunks.

Tehnation

Reaction score
I'm running the free version of amazon aws! Which would you recommend? Linux OS's etc. are not my cup of tea lol, I clicked the link and was lost immediately =) ! Options scare me. I need simple and reliable.

I appreciate all the help!

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Dozens of options with tutorials are available on Nerd Vittles. Can't repeat it all here. Sorry.

Tehnation

Reaction score
So it looks like you took down the piaf green off the aws cloud market :mad2: , so now I am following your tutorial on, http://nerdvittles.com/?p=14208, as well as this one , http://nerdvittles.com/?p=5680, for the anveo settings.

I liked it when there were just colors... lol, made my life a lot easier. For the first article I linked, it doesn't say anything about opening ports, setting up travelinman/ip tables, sip utp, etc. Is there a reason or are we supposed to know that from experience?

I did the install following the directions but mysql and asterisk are down all the time regardless of restarts when I do status command. I set it up with centos 7 with hvm on aws. Any ideas?

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nikko
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.