SOLVED Phone Rings once every hour - no caller.

AndyInNYC

Reaction score
Each hour, my phone(s) rings once. I believe the phone is registering, but I could be wrong.
The phone is an analog phone attached to a Sipura ATA.

My Yealink also chirps, but it isn't a full on ring.

Is there a setting on the ATA or in PBX Green to stop this action?

Andrew

tbrummell

Guru
Reaction score
Depends where it is coming from. Do you see a call in CDR from your provider, or IPBX, or both? Do you get CID with the call? Is it always the same? IPBX is hosted internally, cloud? NAT firewall in place, ports forwarded somewhere? Need a lot more information to triage this.

AndyInNYC

Reaction score
I have my PIAF Green machine running locally.
The calls do not show up in the CDR nor in the cli
It's as if (I'm guessing) that the phone is re-registering or getting 'pinged' by the PBX and the ATA causes the phone to ring.

It's a completely internal event.

The ATA is a Sipura 2002 with two phones hanging off of it as extensions.

Both lines are fed into a Panasonic two line cordless phone. LIne 1 registers using port 5061 and Line 2 registers using port 5060. It appears that Line 1 is the one ringing (says so on the phone).

I've changed the device to use port 5060 for both. Others on the board have said that I need a different port for each, but it seems to work. I'll see if it changes the ringing.

I've thought about running debug on that extension (peer) and seeing if there is any traffic shown at the time when the phone rings. I guess that will be next.

Andrew

KNERD

Reaction score
It's what as known as a "ghost call."

Many SIP devices will allow anonymous SIP calls to come in. I am not sure about that device, but there should be a setting for accepting calls only from authorized SIP server,

dicko

Still learning but earning
Reaction score
Simple solution, just don't use port 5060.
Better solution, only allow known hosts through your firewall.

The Sipura does need separate ports or the line that rings for an incoming call will be the one that last registered with your pbx.

AndyInNYC

Reaction score
dicko,

Oddly, 5060 for both works. If I call from another extension to either line, it rings/works. If I call to the other line on the Sipura, it works too.
This is no change from when I used 5060 for one and 5061 for the other. Both extensions show as registered

My firewall is set using TM3. These 'calls' don't originate from outside (or seemingly anywhere). There is no call/activity in the asterisk cli.

Weird. And, since it rings out in the middle of the night, really annoying.

Andrew

dicko

Still learning but earning
Reaction score
They ARE likely coming through your firewall from outside, and they ARE likely coming on UDP port 5060, just watch sngrep on a machine inside your LAN, you will see them arrive and where they are coming from, If you have extensions like 100 , 101 , 1000 etc they will often be "INVITES" which will be responded to depending on the phone and never go anywhere near your PBX, chirps, rings or nothing if ythe phone is clever enough.

AndyInNYC

Reaction score
So, it appears to be ringing via a REGISTER notification from the PBX per sngrep.

Any idea how to turn off this behavior in the SPA-2002? I have firmware 3.1.2(a) and no idea how to find anything (which does exist) newer.

Andrew

AndyInNYC

Reaction score
Never figured out how to stop the ring.

I'm trying to get the 'new' 16-15 system working. Still a remote user issue, but at least the Sipura doesn't ring the phone every hour.
My friend can't talk or hear through his extension, but at least I can sleep.

Andrew

ostridge

Guru
Reaction score
I do not have a SPA2002 but use a PAP2T NA unlocked and on 192.168.1.100 Sip ports 49160, 49260
I understand the 2002 is similar.

I assume both pbx and sipura2002 are both on same private network like
192.168.1.xx and both at the 'friend' premises?

As the ATA will have one IP address for both lines the ports do need to differ if both lines are to be used.

On the ATA Line tab you have:
NAT Mapping set to No NAT keep alive set to No

Just try different 'sip ports' on the ATA say line1: sip port 5160 and line2: 5260, or a high port series say 49160 and 49260.

The following Admin guide if apropriate? 2102 should be similar but has onboard router.
SPA ATA Admin Guide

Last edited:

AndyInNYC

Reaction score
It's really two separate problems.

On my PBX Green (old), my friend's Yealink connects perfectly from across the country. The Sipura, using either different or the same ports for the two lines, rings one of the phones every hour.

On the 16-15 system (new), the Sipura behaves correctly. The Yealink has no audio in either directions - it registers and picks up, but no audio.

My router forwards ports to either the old system (with the new turned off) or to the new (with the old turned off). The port forwards read identically but for destination IP and only one set is active at a time.

It *seems* like it should be a firewall issue, but the commands read identically except for the final IP (192.168.40.29 (old) vs 192.168.40.60 (new)).

Weird.

Andrew

ostridge

Guru
Reaction score
If you turn off one line (at a time) on ATA then it maybe stops the ring or chirp?

dallas

Reaction score
It's really two separate problems.

On my PBX Green (old), my friend's Yealink connects perfectly from across the country. The Sipura, using either different or the same ports for the two lines, rings one of the phones every hour.

On the 16-15 system (new), the Sipura behaves correctly. The Yealink has no audio in either directions - it registers and picks up, but no audio.

My router forwards ports to either the old system (with the new turned off) or to the new (with the old turned off). The port forwards read identically but for destination IP and only one set is active at a time.

It *seems* like it should be a firewall issue, but the commands read identically except for the final IP (192.168.40.29 (old) vs 192.168.40.60 (new)).

Weird.

Andrew
Andrew, did you see my reply to your other thread?

ostridge

Guru
Reaction score
The Sipura, using either different or the same ports for the two lines, rings one of the phones every hour.
The default star codes (on the 'REGIONAL' tab) to block anonymous calls on the SPA ATA may reduce the spurious calls, but also blocks legitimate withheld numbers from your doctor, the hospital, police etc.

Block ANC Act CodeBlocks all anonymous calls.
Block ANC Deact CodeRemoves blocking of all anonymous calls.

By anonimous it means witheld numbers via the privacy header.

The star codes must/should not conflict with those used on the PBX (see Admin/Feature Codes )

In my case I needed to delete the 'DND Act Code:' *78 Do not disturb and *79 to turn it off; so that that code could pass thro to the PBX then asterisk would know via the "sip show hints". However the pbx does have a star code 'DND Toggle' *76 which can be used instead.

Last edited:

dernotte

Reaction score
I had the same issue, and I fixed it by turning off the VMWI service (Message Waiting Indication). The MWI could stay "on", but VMWI needs to be turned off.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frapu
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.