QUESTION PBX In A Flash and iptables

Kimberly

Reaction score
The hurricane resulted in a week without internet; although I was lucky in not losing power. My ISP changed my hostname and that resulted in locking me out of my HiFormance PBX. Logging into the HifFormance control panel allowed me access to the server through their console. I added my new hostname and all was good; until either the server was rebooted by someone or iptables restarted; I don't know which. I repeated the process of adding my hostname to the rules but it again got remove.

My question is that I thought I read that the iptables shipping with PBX in a flash is not standard that if you issue the standard iptables save command that you wipe out the rules created by the install. If this is true, what is the command I should use to add my hostname and have it saved to the list of rules so that it is not lost on reboot or restart of iptables?

Kimberly

Reaction score
Update; this was Incredible PBX installed after using the image on HiFormance.

ajonate

Reaction score
what is the command I should use to add my hostname and have it saved to the list of rules so that it is not lost on reboot or restart of iptables?

While I use my own security strategy that doesn't depend on IP address security, I believe that Knocker is used by the IncrediblePBX community to gain access to a bricked system.

mainenotarynet

Not really a Guru - Just a long time user
Reaction score
It's not the hostname that's the problem (and I actually think what your ISP changed was your IP Address, as that is what IP tables is using, not hostnames).

I use a domain name for my home location (I have 2 additional servers for other stuff and 15 domains, so I am in a slightly different category than you but, try this:

find your new IP first (probably part of what you called hostname (I Can Haz IP) can help you find it
in the hiformance console (since it seems you get locked out everywhere else) type the following command:

/root/add-ip myhomelocation [place IP addreess here] ENTER
follow the screens but use option ZERO ( 0 ) ENTER

This whill restore your access at the house, if the IP changes again, you need to -- /root/del-acct myhomelocation.iptables and then recreate it again as above.

I should mention, that if you do want to purchase a domain for your house (I use one I owned but no longer needed elsewhere) [maybe something like kimsrockintrutleketchupfarm.info (something obscure, just don't forget it yourself) ]

Set the DNS to your registrar's servers (unless you have another DNS server you run [I do]) and if your IP changes again, you change it in the DNS server and restart the IPBX (after you do: /root/add-fqdn myhomelocation kimsrockinturtleketchupfarm.info ENTER (again option Zero ( 0 ) )

Dyndns can also work but I don't use it, someone else can fill you in on that service.

Good Luck and welcome to the forums.

Last edited:

Kimberly

Reaction score
OK, I understand now. I have to use a script to add the host name so that it gets added instead of using the iptables save command.

/root/add-ip myhomelocation [place IP addreess here] ENTER
follow the screens but use option ZERO ( 0 ) ENTER

Thank you, I remember now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nikko
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.