TUTORIAL Pat Fleet Voice Prompts for Asterisk

zipeee

Reaction score
Done, I also found a bug:

The "at.*" should be moved from /letters to /digits

*=.gsm, .ulaw or whatever version you downloaded"

kenn10

Reaction score
I've also found that for the word "extension", the recording says "explanation." So it will say something like "You have requested a wake up call for explanation 2008."

I'll play with this and see if I can find the actual recording of "extension" in the collection.

kenn10

Reaction score
OK. The file named "explanation" contains a recording for "evening." The file named "extension" contains a recording of the word "explanation." The recording named "extensions" has the recorded word for "extension."

I don't know how many recordings in the ulaw files may be slightly off but I'll keep checking.

kenn10

Reaction score
Other than the little quirks I found, I love having Pat Fleet on my system. This keeps mine from sounding like every one else's Asterisk system. ;)

Bart

Reaction score
hmm, seems like they removed the download. Does anyone have a new link or some place I can download?

Bart

EndeavorPBX

Reaction score
It'd be nice to see this hosted at PBX In A Flash again.

For those that still want it, you can get it here:

ftp://ftp.bluefeathertech.com/computing/software/Asterisk/voices/PatFleet-asterisk-ulaw-1.0.tar.gz

Installation Instructions:

Make a backup of the original files to sounds.bak

cd /var/lib/asterisk
cp –rf sounds sounds.bak

Download the prompts file:

cd /
mkdir temp
cd /temp
wget ftp://ftp.bluefeathertech.com/computing/software/Asterisk/voices/PatFleet-asterisk-ulaw-1.0.tar.gz

Unpack the source files

tar –zxvf PatFleet*.gz

Copy files from the unpacked directory to the sounds directory (note: earlier versions of Asterisk keep everything in /sounds (and
not in /en)

cd var/lib/asterisk/sounds/en
cp -rf /temp/sounds/* ./

Note: If cp –rf still prompts to overwrite, it is because cp is aliased to cp -i.
To check:
alias
To remove alias
unalias cp

Issue these commands to fix some mis-naming in the files:

cd /var/lib/asterisk/sounds/en
rm evening.ulaw
mv explanation.ulaw evening.ulaw
mv extension.ulaw explanation.ulaw
mv extensions.ulaw extension.ulaw
mv ext-or-zero.ulaw extensions.ulaw
mv extra-sounds-en.txt.ulaw ext-or-zero.ulaw
cp ./letters/at.ulaw ./digits/at.ulaw
cp ./letters/at_.ulaw ./digits/at_.ulaw
mv pm-invalid-option.ulaw pm-invalid-option.ulaw.bak
cp conf-errormenu.ulaw pm-invalid-option.ulaw

Next, change ownership of the sounds:
cd /var/lib/asterisk/sounds/en/
chown –R asterisk:asterisk *

Then delete the originals:
cd /
rm –rf temp

If you removed the cp alias and want to add it back:
alias cp=’cp –i’

kenn10

Reaction score
Very old thread, but has anyone converted Pat Fleet's voice prompts to G.722? Just curious.

geopeterwc

Guru
Reaction score
Very old thread, but has anyone converted Pat Fleet's voice prompts to G.722? Just curious.
@kenn10 ... I have found a free utility that permits conversion of audio files of one format into another, quite efficiently. You've GOT TO BE CAREFUL if you install the utility, as there are a number of "ride-along" PUPs (Potentially Unwanted Programs) that will be installed if you don't watch your back.

Total Audio Converter will convert audio files in batch mode, is fast, and will save the converted files wherever you specify. Check it out at: http://total-audio-converter.en.softonic.com/ for Windows. But if my memory serves me - you'll have to watch for the "extras" that might come with it. (A price you pay for "free", I guess.)

/Pete./

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
We'd be glad to host them if someone goes through the exercise.

Bill Dengler

Reaction score
@kenn10 ... I have found a free utility that permits conversion of audio files of one format into another, quite efficiently. You've GOT TO BE CAREFUL if you install the utility, as there are a number of "ride-along" PUPs (Potentially Unwanted Programs) that will be installed if you don't watch your back.

Total Audio Converter will convert audio files in batch mode, is fast, and will save the converted files wherever you specify. Check it out at: http://total-audio-converter.en.softonic.com/ for Windows. But if my memory serves me - you'll have to watch for the "extras" that might come with it. (A price you pay for "free", I guess.)

/Pete./
Yes, but if you convert from a low-quality format to a high-quality format, no quality is actually gained. The objective of converting the prompts to g.722 is to improve the voice quality on phones which support it. If you have prompts in their original (before conversion to 8k) format, that would also be helpful for conversion purposes.

tycho

Guru (not...)
Reaction score

/Pete./
I think I attempted to install this application at the beginning of the year. I'm usually very careful with such installs but either this one or a similar one that I installed that same day (I had a need that day for audio conversion programs) bit me in the ass anyway. So word to the wise indeed!

sukasem

Guru
Reaction score
We'd be glad to host them if someone goes through the exercise.
How about script to convert it ;)?
It's not fully test and I'm not expert on linux command. But it seem to work for me. It will convert all files including sub directory.
Usage:
./ScriptName ulaw g722 /var/lib/sound/pat

#!/bin/bash

[ $# -lt 3 ] && { echo "Usage: $0 InputFileType OutputFileType PathToFile"; exit 1; }

f=$(echo $3 | sed 's:/*$::')
cd $f

for i in `ls $f/*.$1`;
do
o=$(echo $i | sed "s/$1/$2/g")
rasterisk -x "file convert $i $o"
done

s=`ls -d */`;

if [ ${#s} -gt "0" ] ;
then
for d in `ls -d */`;
do
for i in `ls $f/$d*.$1`;
do
o=$(echo $i | sed "s/$1/$2/g")
rasterisk -x "file convert $i $o"
done
done
fi

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frapu
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.