TIPS Passing MWI from SIP trunk to extensions on Incredible PBX

casm23

Reaction score
Despite searching both here and on the wider interwebs, I'm not figuring out what needs to happen in order to make MWI work as I'd like it to in one specific situation.

Some background: Incredible PBX 13 from current image on a RasPi 3 Model B. The trunk that I'm concentrating on is a subscribed SIP trunk (it uses credentials to authenticate with the provider rather than relying on IP-based access control), and works fine in terms of calling and other PBX features.

For various reasons it's necessary to use the voicemail assigned to that trunk by the provider, so passing MWI state to the extensions would be very desirable.

The extensions in question are a Spectralink 8440 (effectively a Polycom device under a different name) and Polycom VVX 600. MWI works as expected on both devices if they are directly subscribed to the trunk, so the provider is at least sending the correct MWI notifications to the device.

Where I'm stumbling on this is how to pass MWI notifications from the trunk to the extensions in question. Any help with accomplishing this would be greatly appreciated - it's one of those small things that, if it can be made to work, will help tremendously with my workflow.

billsimon

Reaction score
I'm doing this with one of my providers.

Reference: https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Message+Waiting+Indication

In your trunk configuration (peer settings), add:

unsolicited_mailbox=123456789

The number can be whatever you want. I made mine the same as my DID with that provider.

Then in each of your extensions that is to display that MWI, scroll through the settings and find the Mailbox field. Set it to:

123456789@SIP_Remote
(use the number you selected for your unsolicited_mailbox setting)

casm23

Reaction score
I'm doing this with one of my providers.

Reference: https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Message+Waiting+Indication

In your trunk configuration (peer settings), add:

unsolicited_mailbox=123456789

The number can be whatever you want. I made mine the same as my DID with that provider.

Then in each of your extensions that is to display that MWI, scroll through the settings and find the Mailbox field. Set it to:

123456789@SIP_Remote
(use the number you selected for your unsolicited_mailbox setting)

Thank you for that - unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work in my scenario for some reason.

It's looking increasingly as though I may have to spend some time sniffing traffic to figure out what's going on.

billsimon

Reaction score
Are you registering to the same host defined in your peer settings?

Does your provider send the MWI by way of unsolicited notify? If you need to subscribe for MWI, then there's another section in the referenced wiki that describes how to do that (add the mwi => line to sip_custom_post.conf)

Turning on SIP debugs should shed light.

casm23

Reaction score
Are you registering to the same host defined in your peer settings?

Yes. Additionally, both are registering by IP address, so this shouldn't be a case of round-robin DNS or similar causing possible issues.

Does your provider send the MWI by way of unsolicited notify? If you need to subscribe for MWI, then there's another section in the referenced wiki that describes how to do that (add the mwi => line to sip_custom_post.conf)

Good question; I don't honestly know. I've tried both and neither seems to work (including the changes to sip_custom_post.conf), but, following on from that:

Turning on SIP debugs should shed light.

Tried that, but couldn't see anything referencing MWI or messages in the output. Grepped the daylights out of the scrollback and no luck; is there something specific I should be looking for? So far I've been using fairly broad terms such as MWI, notify, message, etc.

The help is appreciated, and any further ideas are certainly welcome.

billsimon

Reaction score
If you want to post your logs and SIP captures to a pastebin I'll be glad to help review them and see whether I can pick anything out.

You might have to do a capture of your phone connecting directly to the provider, since you say that gives MWI, to understand what's going on.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mark-curtis
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.