TIPS Paging without the BEEP

bigjess007

Reaction score
I am trying to get paging working without the BEEP. Can someone get me pointed in the right direction?

Under Paging and Intercom settings > General settings > I've changed Announcement to None

If I call an extension directly with the intercom prefix *80EXT it doesn't BEEP

But if I call the Page Group it BEEPS :mad:

I've also created two page groups, one as a traditional Page that is one way audio, and another that I have the duplex option checked as I wanted two way audio with all extensions. I don't want the BEEP at all with either.

I went digging around and found this post https://community.freepbx.org/t/hack-to-disable-intercom-beep/3475/11 and even removed the "beep" from the code (in both places I found it) to try to stop this, but it still beeps :mad2:

I know there has to be a way to get rid of the darn beep, but I can't find it. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Reaction score
It's usually disabled in the config of the phone itself. Sometimes that setting is not available in the gui of the phone but must be set in the config file that is loaded on phone startup.

bigjess007

Reaction score
It's usually disabled in the config of the phone itself. Sometimes that setting is not available in the gui of the phone but must be set in the config file that is loaded on phone startup.

I don't think this is it and the reason I say that is because in Paging and Intercom settings > General settings > if the Announcement is set to default and I do *80EXT I get the beep. But if Announcement is set to None and I do *80EXT, voila, no beep. And I just toggled this setting and tested again to verify. So that leads me to believe that wherever in the code for the paging vs intercom, BEEP is still coded. And my limited understanding of this is that the paging and intercom module is the same....

I am a total novice at this, so if there is a way to disable it in the phone too, I'm game, but I can't find any. For reference the phones are grandstream GXP2140's.

Is there another module I can edit besides the instructions I followed in this post (https://community.freepbx.org/t/hack-to-disable-intercom-beep/3475/11) to remove the BEEP?

bigjess007

Reaction score
I dug deeper and looked at the freebpx paging module here https://github.com/FreePBX/paging

I checked out functions.inc.php there and there were more beep references in that file that I didn't have in mine (as mine is older). So I decided to look at the other files. The github files only have beep references in functions.inc.php as it appears all beep commands are there. But in my page.paging.php file, there were lots more blasted BEEP's. I removed them and restarted, you guessed it, the beep persists!

bigjess007

Reaction score
I've kept digging in to this and think it's a bug in the Paging and Intercom application or somewhere else.

First thing I did was did a packet capture to see if the PBX is sending a different request between an intercom call and a paging call. Both are identical:
INVITE sip:[email protected]:5060;intercom=true SIP/2.0

So that confirmed that it was the PBX adding the beep and not the phones.

I decided to see if the bug was in my old version. So I followed the guide and spun up a new Incredible PBX 13-13. Short answer, the frigging beep persists.

I noticed a few things new in the updated p&i application. On the page group config page, there is now an option there too for announcements, and ofcourse, I set it to none. I have auto-answer defaults set to none too on the p&I settings page as well. Beep remains. And for confirmation before I toggled the auto-answer defaults setting to none the beep was there on an intercom call when it was at default, but when I toggled to none the beep disappeared on an intercom call.

Finally I edited the functions.inc.php and Paging.class.php files and removed all references of BEEP and rebooted. Ya, the beep remains.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nikko
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.