FYI OVH and Latency

berritorre

Reaction score
I am currently thinking of setting up a IncrediblePBX with Wazo and wanted to do first tests.

It will not be anything major, we are a small office of 4-6 people, we don't have many concurrent calls. Most time there are no calls at all, the highest realistic number of concurrent calls is probably 2. But in theory it could also be 4-6. Probably we would have two incoming DID numbers (one for each branch/brand) but it must be possible to attend each of them for anyone in the office. But this is actually not the problem. I will probably set this up for one "brand" only, then later for the other, if things work out.

We have 4 numbers here from a provider. They are VOIP, but they come out of the cable modem as normal telefone lines and we have a really old PBX box. So this should be subsituted.

No I have seen the possibility to host it on a VPS and the pricing of OVH seems to be great. I ran a few tests and the download speed of all OVH VPS locations are maxing out my internet connection at around 35-37 Mb/s. The Upload is slightly lower than my theoretical 20 MB/s at around 16-18 MB/s, depending on the server location.

Overall the Canadian location seems to be the bet server for me down here in Brazil when it comes to download speed and also the Latency, which is with 162,5ms quite high, but better than all the other locations (above 200ms).
Jitter is 6.510ms.

Do you think that with these values I can run IncrediblePBX reasonably well or are those values just not usable for VOIP? I have a Voip account from a German provider (Easybell) at home here and the call quality is excellent (better than most Brazilian landlines).

berritorre

Reaction score
Ups, I just read this: "Jitter that exceeds 40ms will cause severe deterioration in call quality." here https://voipstudio.com/voip-how-much-jitter-is-acceptable/.

That would mean that the OVH VPS is over 100x above the limit where this site considers that it will cause severe deterioration in call quality. Hmmm, not sure if it makes even sense to test OVH under those circumstances. Any thoughts?

berritorre

Reaction score
Ohhhhh, wait a second!

I read the "." as a thousand separator, but it must be a decimal separator, as the values for download speed are also shown as 36.39 Mb/S and the Latency is written as 162.5 ms.

So the Jitter should be actually quite OK, but latency might be high?

berritorre

Reaction score
Well, then I probably will give it a try these days. The pricing is very reasonable, even if I just play around for a month or two and then stop it all together. Thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nikko
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.