RECOMMENDATIONS Overhead Intercom Recommendation

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
I've got a client that has a stereo system (bose) with music playing in the warehouse. They'd like to be able to interrupt the music with overhead announcements from time to time.

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
I've got a client that has a stereo system (bose) with music playing in the warehouse. They'd like to be able to interrupt the music with overhead announcements from time to time.

Come on - I know people here have done this. .. Anyone?

dhoppy

Reaction score
I would guess an extension sent to an ATA, and then the ATA plugged into one of these: Telephone Access Module.

Some people talking about it here.

Looks like you can get overhead IP speakers, that's interesting. I didn't know that existed.

phonebuff

Guru
Reaction score
Done this many times in a past life -- The trick is that you have an amplifier with a Primary Override to Mute relay..

So your Paging adapter first closes a relay (or opens it if the normal state is closed) then sends audio out to the Primary Input. When it's done (Hangs Up) the relay state reverses and the secondary audio (music) resumes.

Typically, I have done this with Bogen units for the PA.. Check with Algo, Snom, Viking or Cyber Data for their PA adapters and relay options. As an aside I mostly do this with LMR radios for Fire House / Operational paging so not sure which combination of adapter will work with your Bose amplifier if any as the Bose must have the relay option or you need to find a multi-input / switching device to put between the PA Adapter and the BOSE.

geopeterwc

Guru
Reaction score
I have had good success when a "single-speaker" option is sufficient by using the Benbria Blazepoint talk-back speakers found on eBay for $37.50 + $12.00 shipping.

These speakers are VoIP based and auto-answer when the extension they're assigned in the iPBX is called. Although they're limited in function These speakers are now part of the Mitel Mass Notification product line - so without the Mitel front end MMN server (I think that it's software based) some advanced functions are not available, like 'canned' announcements or 'emergency' messages delivered to selected speaker groups. But, as a simple overhead paging speaker is concerned, these talk-back speakers work very well!

The speakers default to DHCP after being reset. Setup is SSH based, and logging into the default speaker account (bpadmin, password admin), the configuration is entirely command-line based - no GUI. After logging in, use "tab" or type "?", the available commands are provided. To view the available options, enter one of the listed options, followed by a "tab" or "?" to view the follow-on options to configure the speaker to work with an installed iPBX system. There are multiple layers of commands, but it's not difficult to figure out.

These speakers from eBay were removed from service at a Texas university when they upgraded their paging system/installation, are very clean and show no cosmetic signs of wear.

/Pete./

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
serhii
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.