TIPS Outbound routes: allowing calls through a route to most users

Bill Dengler

Reaction score
Hello,

Asterisk 13.6.0, Free PBX 12 on latest Incredible ISO.

How can I configure the PBX to usually allow a user to make calls through a specified route, but block a select group of extensions from doing so, forcing them to fall back to other (secondary) routes?

I don't want to set up a password/PIN set model (remember, I want to allow most users and the system to use the route).

Any ideas?

jerrm

Guru
Reaction score
Hello,

Asterisk 13.6.0, Free PBX 12 on latest Incredible ISO.

How can I configure the PBX to usually allow a user to make calls through a specified route, but block a select group of extensions from doing so, forcing them to fall back to other (secondary) routes?

I don't want to set up a password/PIN set model (remember, I want to allow most users and the system to use the route).

Any ideas?

Use the "CallerID" portion of the dial pattern to match the route against the extensions you wish to allow.
upload_2015-11-24_17-54-29.png

upload_2015-11-24_17-56-1.png

jerrm

Guru
Reaction score
If you can't define a reasonable dial pattern, then assign the blocked extensions to their own custom context and write your own dial plan.

Alternatively install the custom context module which should allow you to create a custom context that denies access to a route inside the GUI.

geopeterwc

Guru
Reaction score
@Bill Dengler: This can be addressed with creative use of the dial plan for outbound routes. It's a two-step process, requiring two or more outbound routes.

First, define one or more outbound routes that is/are limited to the trunks/DIDs that the restricted extensions would be permitted to use. Do not include the restricted outbound route any trunks/DIDs in the trunk sequence that you do not want certain extensions to use. The trunks permitted are defined in the "Trunk Sequence for Matched Routes" section of the outbound route definition.

Using the dial pattern section of the outbound route you'll identify, by CID/extension number that will use the route that is defined. For example if the extension that are restricted to certain outgoing DIDs/trunks, that information is defined in the CID field.

For example, if your PBX is using three-digit extensions 200-299, you might assign numbers of the restricted extensions to the range 291-299. With "29X" in The caller ID field, calls would match extension numbers only in the restricted range and use the trunks defined in the "Trunk Sequence for Matched Routes" for this route.

Second, define an outbound route for all other users (in the range 200-289 in this example) that includes all of the available trunks/DIDs in the "Trunk Sequence for Matched Routes" for the other users, it is not necessary to put any information in the CID field of the dial pattern for the outbound route.

The Incredible GUI provides an easy method for the selection order of the defined Outbound Routes. (you'll find the routes that have been defined in the upper right corner of the GUI display.) Drag the route names up/down to position your restrictive routes first, followed by the more general-use routes.

See http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+Dialplan+Patterns for additional information on how to creatively use dialplan patterns in defining your outbound call routes.

/Pete./

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frapu
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.