OT: Installation and then clone to different machine

AndyInNYC

Reaction score
I realize this is really off topic, but ...

I have a working PBX (Green) in my basement which runs the business and home phones. I use a Digium card with hardware EC, so installation is a bit tricky (card is EOL per Digium, so new Dahdi won't support it).

The basement machine runs some variant of a multi core AMD chip. I'm looking at buying a cheap PC off craigslist with an Intel Core2 Quad to use as a scratch machine so that I don't have to bring the PBX down for a day(s) while I get the install correct.

Assuming I put 16-15 on the Intel machine and run a Clonezilla on it, will I be able to restore to the AMD machine and have it update itself correctly, or will it just puke all over itself?

Alternatively, I could keep the Intel running post install.

Andrew

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
I realize this is really off topic, but ...

I'm looking at ... Intel Core2 Quad will I be able to restore to the AMD machine and have it update itself correctly, or will it just puke all over itself?
Andrew

I've done Intel to Intel and AMD to AMD ... but I'd be worried about AMD to Intel. Only one way to find out though. FYI - You said "restore to the AMD" - I assume you mean restore from AMD to the newer Intel ??

AndyInNYC

Reaction score
No, I would use the Intel as the scratch machine and restore the Clonezilla image to the AMD machine which is the current work machine. I know it works and I know its quirks. The Intel machine is an unknown that I'm buying for $80 just to be able to get the install right before I go live.

I have a few remote users who use my machine and their own SIP provider accounts for their business, so I don't want to keep telling them 'almost there".

With the AMD machine running, I can also copy settings across by having both GUIs open on one of my desktop/laptop machines.

Andrew

jerrm

Guru
Reaction score
I doubt the AMD <-> Intel will be much of an issue. What's the plan for the digium card? Do you expect/hope it to work in the new setup, or are you moving on from it? That may be the bigger obstacle in moving to 16/15.

AndyInNYC

Reaction score
jerrm,

I need to adjust the install script and have it compile with dahdi 2.9.x since 3.0 discontinued support for a perfectly good card (I mean, they had to DUMP code to not support it ...).

I'm going to keep using the Digium card (hence the potentially problematic install) and I need to get all the channel stuff correct so that it mimics my current setup. I've tried in the past and wasted a day trying to get my analog phone to work.

Then I need to bring over all the extensions, the fax specific stuff, the mail specific stuff, the everything else specific stuff, etc.

Since the machine has been running for so long with lots of little incremental improvements, it's going to take a while before I'm comfortable cutting over. I have stuff running that I barely remember (like a custom script to take an emailed pdf and automatically fax it out based on various parameters in the body of the email).

Fortunately, my Yealink T46G phones will connect to multiple IPs/services, so testing whether I get a dial tone is at least going to be easy.

Andrew

jerrm

Guru
Reaction score
I need to adjust the install script and have it compile with dahdi 2.9.x since 3.0 discontinued support for a perfectly good card (I mean, they had to DUMP code to not support it ...).

I'm going to keep using the Digium card (hence the potentially problematic install) and I need to get all the channel stuff correct so that it mimics my current setup. I've tried in the past and wasted a day trying to get my analog phone to work.

Gotta love planned obsolescence.

Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.