QUESTION OT: Fios with OpenVPN and PBXinaFlash

AndyInNYC

Reaction score
Partly on and partly off topic.

I currently have a Comcast internet connection with Blast! (200 down 10 up). I am using my own DOCSIS modem rather than Comcast's. I have a Netgear router in front of the modem which is running OpenWRT and several services (OpenVPN, Dynamic DNS updater). I also have my PBX in the basement for my home and office lines.

Everything works perfectly, but the 10 up speed is killing me when I connect in from the outside. It's fast enough for a softphone, but too slow to move files.

So, I'll be moving (I hope) to FIOS and getting their 300/300 service along with their TV service/DVR. This is where the problem is - FIOS TV needs to use (from what I'm told) the FIOS modem in order to provide listings and updates for the DVR service. The tech I spoke with states that their modem doesn't mess with any VOIP, but I'm not so sure <g>.

So, does anyone have FIOS TV/DRV and internet with a router behind the service? Any tricks (like bridging the FIOS modem) or other info I should weigh before making a decision? I really don't want faster internet that doesn't work 'for me'.

Thanks all.

dad311

Guru
Reaction score
Sure it's not your netgear router slowing you down? Openvpn is cpu intensive.

AndyInNYC

Reaction score
dad311,
Comcast cable is severely asymetrical (or at least the plan I have). The 10 is is 10 (and the 200 is likely best case).

300/300 would allow me to stream video, etc. from the server while we are away (or from the FIOS DVR - although my planned setup may disallow this).

Anyone using FIOS equipment for TV and internet and placing a VPN and other services behind?

Andrew

Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.