AWAITING FEEDBACK OSS Endpoint Manager Status

anomaly0617

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm just curious what the status is on OSS Endpoint Manager. Is there a person that heads up this project and we can send updates/bug fixes to?

Recently I've been configuring Grandstreams and found that the XML put out by the OSS Endpoint Manager is not consistent with the XML I manually create, validate, and works on the phones. I'd love to contribute bug fixes to this as it would benefit myself and others, but when I go to provisioner.net, it looks like it's still Andrew Nagy's site. As I understand it he no longer does the OSS one, but instead does the Commercial one for Sangoma.

Thanks, in advance (and hopefully I'm not striking on a nerve by asking)
-Anomaly0617

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm just curious what the status is on OSS Endpoint Manager. Is there a person that heads up this project and we can send updates/bug fixes to?

Recently I've been configuring Grandstreams and found that the XML put out by the OSS Endpoint Manager is not consistent with the XML I manually create, validate, and works on the phones. I'd love to contribute bug fixes to this as it would benefit myself and others, but when I go to provisioner.net, it looks like it's still Andrew Nagy's site. As I understand it he no longer does the OSS one, but instead does the Commercial one for Sangoma.

Thanks, in advance (and hopefully I'm not striking on a nerve by asking)
-Anomaly0617

Which GS devices do you have updates for? I'd like to see them

anomaly0617

Reaction score
Which GS devices do you have updates for? I'd like to see them

So far the GXP2160 and the GXP2170, but I'm also working on the GXP2130 as well. I've abandoned the standard format that's difficult to read in favor of XML. When I create the XML file from the OSS Endpoint Manager, it does not do line feeds properly in the XML, instead replacing them with ampersand signs. What I'm using are hand created but include comments at the end of each parameter indicating what they do and what the possible options are. I've tried pasting this in as a custom template into OSS, but I still get the & signs for the line feeds.

I'm happy to share what I have. Let me know how is best to do so and I'll send it along!

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
When I have time, I want to dig into that project, as I think its an important one. I've got GXP2160 for the OSS that someone had done. Do you have that? If not, let me know and I'll post it someone so you can grab and compare.

atsak

Guru
Reaction score
I tried to hire someone to work on it - couldn't even find someone for that (wanted the Yealink W52 / W56 added. . . .)

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
You may not be aware that the key component for this is hosted privately by Sangoma unless something has changed.

Hint: Wazo uses public repos.

anomaly0617

Reaction score
When I have time, I want to dig into that project, as I think its an important one. I've got GXP2160 for the OSS that someone had done. Do you have that? If not, let me know and I'll post it someone so you can grab and compare.
Yep, I've tried it and I get unwanted results. For example, if the phone is Extension 6010, it creates (4) accounts on the phone called "John Doe." When I go to the phone admin and log in, it appears to be setting the accounts as active even though there are no details in there for it. This means that (3) soft buttons just became unavailable for use. Now, when a second call comes in, they appear on the second account down, etc.... but if I don't do this and mark account 2 inactive, it still works the same when a second call comes in... so, not much of a benefit.

Also as a note, the XML files come out with & signs instead of line feeds, and the conventional .cfg file has some interesting stuff in it too. When I try to customize the XML file with a working XML configuration, the line feeds still don't work properly.

So, all in all, I'd say it needs some work to make it function properly for the GXP2130/60/70 phones. I'd be happy to contribute some sample files if they would help someone code it properly. :)

anomaly0617

Reaction score
You may not be aware that the key component for this is hosted privately by Sangoma unless something has changed.

Hint: Wazo uses public repos.
Hi Ward!

I wondered about this. I knew there was likely a tie somewhere in there to Sangoma. With that said, I tried Wazo and decided it falls into the category of "it's a work in progress." There were things in there I loved, and other things that made me go WTF? So, I'm watching and optimistically waiting.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Kinda puzzled by your comment. Wazo and its predecessor XiVO have been under active development for more than 10 years.

anomaly0617

Reaction score
Kinda puzzled by your comment. Wazo and its predecessor XiVO have been under active development for more than 10 years.

Oh, I'm aware. I installed it after reading about it earlier this year. I don't remember all of the things I found that I couldn't find in PIAF-IncrediblePBX with FreePBX, but I do remember thinking "this isn't something I feel comfortable deploying into a production environment, yet. It has promise, just not yet."

In fairness, I felt the same about a few other Asterisk-based solutions, like Elastix. And I know that my opinion isn't the only one. I'm totally open to alternatives to Sangoma and FreePBX. Just haven't found one that I got really excited about yet.

Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.