GOOD NEWS Odroid + PIAFGUI setup

ou812

Guru
Reaction score
I just received my new Odroid C1 and thought I would try a PIAFGUI install. It was a successful build and now needs to be tested and tweaked to see how well it holds up, this is what I have done so far.

1 Odroid C1
1 16gb Kingston micro sd
downloaded Ubuntu minimal image from odroid.com
flashed image to card using win32diskimager
booted system and followed instructions on nerdvittles article for Ubuntu 14.04 server
make sure you run the update & upgrade for Ubuntu before you start install as mentioned in the article.

There were some things I was unsure of and perhaps someone here can advise me if this is correct or not
I did not create a swap file as I have 1gb of ram ?
I did not now how to re-size the image to use the whole 16gb sd card before install, can it be done now ?

Gary.

MEMORY

total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 869048 779256 89792 5572 36896 534324
-/+ buffers/cache: 208036 661012
Swap: 0 0 0

DISK

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/mmcblk0p2 3.9G 1.9G 1.8G 52% /
none 4.0K 0 4.0K 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
udev 420M 4.0K 420M 1% /dev
tmpfs 85M 236K 85M 1% /run
none 5.0M 0 5.0M 0% /run/lock
none 425M 0 425M 0% /run/shm
none 100M 0 100M 0% /run/user
/dev/mmcblk0p1 128M 7.2M 121M 6% /media/boot

Bob Helbush

Reaction score
You can use gparted to resize the disk volume. The easiest way for me is to burn a live CD.

ou812

Guru
Reaction score
At this point it's a BUST. it builds and I can register a phone and access voicemail but in a hour or so the system crashes. :death:

If anyone has a better method to build piaf-gui on a Odroid C1 I'm willing to try.

Gary.

Jay Deal

Phhhhhhhhttttttt :)
Reaction score
At this point it's a BUST. it builds and I can register a phone and access voicemail but in a hour or so the system crashes. :death:

If anyone has a better method to build piaf-gui on a Odroid C1 I'm willing to try.

Gary.

If you got that far - Asterisk compiled and the GUI operates , a phone registers, audio works (VM access), you can make and receive a call from a trunk AND it works for more than 5 minutes - then it's gotta be something else. With devices like a Pi or C1, very often either a slow or buggy SD card causes the whole system to crash. This is because the card cannot keep up with access and write requests from the OS. With the speed of the C1's CPU (which is fast), SD card access issues become even more pronounced. So I would try to rule out hardware (SD card, power supply) issues before I threw in the towel.

ou812

Guru
Reaction score
Thanks Jay, good point about the sd card, because I could not re-size the image to use the whole card it's showing that the drive is 80% full while there is over 10gb unused could this effect the write speed if so I would like to try and re-size it but I don't know how to do this after the image is flashed.

Gary.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Look at the code in the raspi-config utility to resize a partition. That's what I used on the BeagleBone Black platform, and it worked like a champ.

Attachments

• raspi-config.tar.gz
    8.4 KB · Views: 5

Jay Deal

Phhhhhhhhttttttt :)
Reaction score
Thanks Jay, good point about the sd card, because I could not re-size the image to use the whole card it's showing that the drive is 80% full while there is over 10gb unused could this effect the write speed if so I would like to try and re-size it but I don't know how to do this after the image is flashed.

Gary.

In your case, the amount of available space isn't related to a defect with your card as much as it's because when the partition was first created, it did not fill up all the space that was available for it to use. With a Windows or Mac, re-sizing a partition is a pretty simple thing. However, when you need to resize a Linux partition using the command line, it's a little more complicated and intimidating because it's not easily done with a partition you are actively using as the root file system. It's easiest to use a script like Ward has posted above to automate the process. An alternative is to mount the card on another Linux computer and re-fdisk it to grow the partition then use resize2fs to tell Linux to grow the root file system to fill the now increased available space. Just be advised that you risk borking the card (I speak from past experience) so if you can make a copy to experiment with this process on I would highly recommend that.

Also, if you are using anything slower than a Class 10 card, I would start over. Look for at least a 16GB class 10 / UHC-1 card from Sandisk or Samsung which are available for less than $15 on sale locally at BestBuy or Walmart. And you should be using a true (not inflated rated) 2 amp power supply. Those two items are often cited sources of system crashes on SOC (system on chip) computers like your C1.

ou812

Guru
Reaction score
i am using a Kingston 16gb class 10 card, the pwr supply is a 2 amp from ameridroid.com the supplier of the Odriod. I am trying the script that Ward said to try, at this point it runs but it does not find /dev/root so I will play with it to see if I can re size this drive.
Thanks,

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Just putting a copy here for posterity...

Attachments

• resize.tar.gz
    469 bytes · Views: 7

ou812

Guru
Reaction score
So far re-sizing the sd card has made the difference, the system has been up for almost 24 hours and is make in and out call, time will tell :)

Gary.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
These tiny hardware devices continue to amaze. We've had a $20 PogoPlug up and running for months with zero hiccups. Call quality is downright amazing even on the Demo IVR which takes considerable horsepower to function:
BxW4_OfIYAAhyN6.jpg:large

ou812

Guru
Reaction score
Juts a quick update, It's been almost 2 weeks since I re-sized the drive and installed system and It's been rock solid. :D

Gary

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pbxnewguy
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.