TIPS Obivoice is now Vestalink

Discussion in 'Trunks & Providers' started by Trimline2, Jan 12, 2014.

1. bmore

bmore Guru

Is there a reason why you ported your Google Voice (GV) number? Why not just add the ObiVoice (OV) number as a ring destination in GV? And then spoof your outgoing caller id.

I have been with GV from very early days (soon after Grand Central started). As soon as GV allowed you to port in a number, I ported my number. I have had the number for about 20 years and would rather not port it to anyone but the major companies: local telco, major cellular carrier or a company the size of Google.

I hope Obi is around for a long time but you never know and I would rather not have to deal with the uncertainty of what will happen to my number if they go out of business. Incidentally the ability to spoof my number and forward my calls from GV made this a no brainer for me to sign up.

wardmundy likes this.
  2. TwigsUSAN

TwigsUSAN Guru

Uncertainty with ObiVoice or uncertainty Google. What's the difference? I don't have to worry about work arounds to get IVR working if I want to use it. I don't have to worry about Google Voice's voicemail picking up when I don't want it to. It's the KISS approach. Plus, it's just a home office line and if I lose it, I will tell everyone my new number.

wardmundy likes this.
  3. bmore

bmore Guru

Was just curious. I have had my home number for 20 plus years and though it would not be the end of the world I would prefer not to lose it. Your case is different. Plus with GV I can get texts to my number.

Actual story... Just this weekend I was pleased to hear from an old high school friend that we have not been in touch for about 10 or more years. He still had the number and texted the number over Christmas. I did not respond as it was from a Las Vegas area code and I did not know anyone in that area code, I am across the country. Thought it might have been a scam. He called this weekend and I answered. We had a great conversation. In my case keeping my number is important to me so I prefer to minimize the risk by staying with a larger company.

4. TwigsUSAN

TwigsUSAN Guru

Yeah, I'm that way with my personal cell number. I've had that for 12 yrs.

5. wardmundy

wardmundy Nerd Uno

bmore: If you're that worried about preserving your DID, why not move it to somebody like voip.ms that's been around forever (in VoIP years). It's only $2 a month with unlimited inbound calls. See this thread for details. Then you can still use a service such as Obivoice without having to worry. :idea:

6. mbellot

mbellot Active Member

Ward, can you point me to that pricing on Voip.ms (DID for $2/mo and unlimited inbound)?

My understanding is you either go minutely and your DID fee is low ($1-$2/mo), but inbound and outbound calls are billed OR you get unlimited inbound (3500 minutes, outbound is still billed) but your DID fee is $5-$7 per month.

7. wardmundy

wardmundy Nerd Uno

It's in the link I provided above.

8. bmore

bmore Guru

Keeping with Google Voice and then forwarding to another provider (Obivoice, voip.ms etc) seems to be a good solution. I cannot imagine Google shutting down and not allowing users the option to port out a number you ported into GV. With GV I can choose any other DID provider while the number remains 'safe' with Google. Obivoice solution works really great because by spoofing my caller id I can have all my calls show up as my GV number without the need to move my number.

9. kwest

kwest Member

I have two questions
    1-will this work on a Linksys/Sipura ATA
    2-I see they offer a 2nd line for $2 a month but does it operate independently from the first line inbound/outbound or would one need to create two accounts and order 2 two year plans on each?

10. tycho

tycho Guru (not...)

Kwest:

Sure, it will work with a Linksys/Sipura ATA. I've been testing it using a PAP2T-NA without issues.

I don't know the answer to your second, excellent, question. Why don't you ask them, using the contact link on their webpage? I have found them to be very responsive.

11. bmore

bmore Guru

I am not sure but the way it is worded it appears you can get a 2nd DID on the same account. That is, both numbers will ring your obi, piaf, pap2 etc but not a separate box or account. However the wording is not clear and they would need to clarify.

12. kwest

kwest Member

Here is the reply I received....

FEB 13, 2014 | 09:06AM PST
    Ryan replied:
    Hi:
    Yes you can use any SIP enabled devices. All numbers assigned to an account ring the same sip credentials each account is provisioned with one set of credentials, so if you need one number to ring one device and another number to ring another device you will need separate accounts. Otherwise both devices can be connected to the same account simultaneously and will ring all devices at once.
    Obivoice Customer Relations
    http://www.obivoice.com

13. acowx

acowx New Member

Guys,

I can't seem to get my Obivoice SIP trunk to register, any ideas ? It just times out

host=sms.intelaphone.com
    fromdomain=sms.intelaphone.com
    username=3604
    fromuser=3604
    disallow=all
    allow=ulaw
    secret=my_secret_from_the_SIP_settings_on_obivoice.com
    type=peer
    context=from-trunk
    insecure=port,invite
    port=5060

Registration String :
    3604:[email protected]com/7246981231

14. Trimline2

Trimline2 Guru

15. acowx

acowx New Member

Thanks for the reply but still not registering :-(

I noticed in the original post that the Outgoing CallerID and Registration String are 11 digits, mine are 10 digits. Is that causing registration to fail ?

Andy

16. Trimline2

Trimline2 Guru

Try changing to : sms.intelafone.com :eek: - your 10 digits is correct...

wardmundy likes this.
  17. acowx

acowx New Member

Trimline,

That was actually a typo in my post, the registration config is correct (but still not working, it times out from PIAF).

I do know that OBIVoice account works as I used their softphone application on my WiFI network (same network as my PBX) so I'm also sure that my router is configured correctly.

Do I need to disable my GV config in order to get the OBIVoice registration to work? I can't see why that would be necessary.

Kinda outta ideas, spent hours on this today....

Thanks again.

18. voipRookie

voipRookie Member

The host= and fromdomain= also need to be set to sms.intelafone.com (just like the registration string.

19. acowx

acowx New Member

username=3604
    type=peer
    secret=my_secret
    port=5060
    insecure=port,invite
    host=sms.intelaphone.com
    fromuser=3604
    fromdomain=sms.intelaphone.com
    disallow=all
    context=from-trunk
    allow=ulaw

3604:[email protected]/7246981231

No dice. Anyone got any more ideas ? The softphone on the same LAN work fine so I know my OBIVoice account is good and my router is good.

I get registration timed out errors and can't make or receive calls.

20. Trimline2

Trimline2 Guru

Are you having DNS issues on this machine? Can it resolve via a ping to sms.intelaphone.com? You might try to use the IP addy as a test.