TIPS Obivoice is now Vestalink

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Please post the specifics. Where are you calling? What is the result? Then open a ticket with the provider and post the response. Short term, you can use another provider for the terminations. That's the beauty of a PBX.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
As for whether Obivoice would be obligated (other than contractually) to put the calls through in light of the Verizon ruling this week, see this article.

jeff20737

Reaction score
Yep, I get that, I use 8 different carriers. The problem is dialing any number in certain rural exchanges in 308 (Nebraska) for example; 308-458, 308-487, 308-638 to name a few. Neighboring Centurylink rate centers connect fine. This page on the FCC site leads me to believe I'm not alone, so the ruling is troubling.

Obi so far appears to completely block these exchanges, and while other VOIP carriers may complete perhaps 20% of the time (F9, callwithus, localphone, callcentric, didlogic), the delays and audio quality generally make it unusable. Landline and cell complete without issue.

I did submit a support ticket, but I have done so with each of the other carriers in the past and have never gotten anywhere.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
I did submit a support ticket, but I have done so with each of the other carriers in the past and have never gotten anywhere.

Reluctance in the past may have been because they didn't want to get fined by the FCC. That now appears to be off the table. However, if a provider contracts to provide unlimited calling in the U.S., it seems to be that would contractually obligate them to connect all calls on the U.S. mainland at least.

Trimline2

Guru
Reaction score
I personally have never had an issue like this. As a test, using VoIP.ms, the call to TJ's Sports Bar and Grill did complete. It did not complete via Obivoice; Got SIP response 500 "Service Unavailable".

Tj's Sports Bar & Grill
702 Box Butte Ave Hemingford, NE 69348
(308) 487-3352

Have you tried VoIP.ms? You could route to them accordingly.

jeff20737

Reaction score
OK, so Obivoice support indicates they simply do not have a carrier that can complete calls to these areas. I guess that would explain it. I wonder how many exchanges are out there to which they can't terminate calls?

Funny how one assumes the phone network would (or should) work universally, at least within the US. It's going to get interesting in light of the ruling. It would be like the post office dropping mail delivery to certain zip codes.

What's troubling is that some carriers WILL terminate the occasional landline-quality call just fine. Then the next six times will take 30 seconds to complete, or give you an endless Euro-style ringback with no answer, or have one-way audio, or suffer from extreme compression and delay. Voip.ms is one carrier I have not tried, will give them a look--thanks.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Funny how one assumes the phone network would (or should) work universally, at least within the US. It's going to get interesting in light of the ruling. It would be like the post office dropping mail delivery to certain zip codes.

Actually, UPS already does something similar. They charge a premium delivery charge to certain addresses. Kinda the same thing here. Best solution is to find an additional provider that can complete the calls. That's one of the beauties of a PBX. :sorcerer:

thepainter

Reaction score
I have obivoice setup as a trunk on my incrediblepi. I would like to setup my obi202 so I can use my cordless phones (which I have been using with GV). Following the obivoice SIP credentials for SP2 (registered) I get a recording "The number you dialed is rejected by your service provider, the reason is 500". Any ideas? Obivoice doesnt support BYOD.

thepainter

Reaction score
hmmmm,,,...... Yes, should I have the obi going through the pi as I have GV?

rossiv

Guru
Reaction score
Generally that doesn't work with traditional SIP trunks. Obivoice seems to have it working, but I wouldn't trust it. Just register your Obi202 to the Pi as any other extension, and route calls out the Obivoice trunk.

thejackal

Reaction score
Just for info, the price has gone up by $10 for yearly ($49.99) and $15 ($74.99) for 2 years.

Trimline2

Guru
Reaction score
Here's the new rates. Hope ya'all signed up when it was 59.99 for 24 months. Business must be booming!

obivoice-002.jpg

thejackal

Reaction score
I am running into some problem for inbound. Outbound is ok. Here's the SIP peer info:

Name/username Host Dyn Forcerport ACL Port Status
obivoice/3116 54.200.193.145 N 5060 Unmonitored

Does anyone has any idea where to start troubleshooting? I have applied fqdn, restarted asterisk. My inbound google voice is also working.

Thanks.

Brian Simmons

Reaction score
If you have been demoing the system and didn't catch the lower prices, I would suggest that you contact their support team. I emailed them and was able to get still the lower price. Of course YMMV, but it is worth a shot!

thejackal

Reaction score
If trouble persists, let's see you setup and log files.

I followed but still no joy.

Here's my trunk setup:

host=sms.intelafone.com
fromdomain=sms.intelafone.com
username=xxx
fromuser=xxx
secret=xxx
type=peer
disallow=all
allow=ulaw
insecure=port,invite
context=from-trunk
port=5060

I tried asterisk -vvvr, but there is nothing coming in at all. Is there any specific log that you need?

Thanks.

Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.