TIPS Nortel IP 1535 $27.95

merlyn

Reaction score
And even after I disable IPtables, I still don't get anything showing up in the CLI.
Or is it probably something on the remote router or server?

if you disabled iptables and it didnt work then start looking at your router that the pbx is behind. It is probably blocking it.

last quick test to do is reboot the pbx (to clear any possible fail2ban lockouts) and as soon as it is booted up attempt to register the remote phone. If nothing in the logs then its probably the router blocking them from ever coming in.

Again assuming the permit field in extentions is properly setup along with travleing man.

your permit field says something like the following example but with your real ip (not your internal ip such as 192.168.1.0)
100.101.102.0/255.255.255.0

merlyn

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
FYI: service iptables restart will also clear fail2ban lockouts.

isaacl

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help.
Which ports need to be forwarded to the phone server?
I already forwarded 5060, 10000 - 20000, and 83 for Travelin' Man.
Is there anything else?
Thanks!

merlyn

Reaction score
Which ports need to be forwarded to the phone server?
I already forwarded 5060, 10000 - 20000, and 83

from the most recent nerdvittles article
Incredible PBX for Asterisk 1.8.1: Back from the Brink

look for the paragraph directly under the utube video incredible pbx installation.

cut and pasted here for your convience

Firewall Configuration. We hope you've taken our advice and installed a hardware-based firewall in front of The Incredible PBX. It's your phone bill. You'll need to make one adjustment on the firewall. Map UDP 5222 traffic to the internal IP address of The Incredible PBX. This is the port that Google Voice uses for phone calls and Google chat. You can decipher the IP address of your server by logging into the server as root and typing status.

merlyn

isaacl

Reaction score
Still using Asterisk 1.4 on that box, so I shouldn't need that...

isaacl

Reaction score
Still having issues, seems like the phone is never getting to the phone server.
Any other device I try though - XLite on my laptop, PortGo on my phone, etc, all seem to work.
So it seems like it's an issue with something with the phone, and not the box.
Anyone have any other ideas?

dswartz

Guru
Reaction score
From shell on the pbx: "ping WIFI", where "WIFI" is the IP address the phone is getting. If you can't reach it with a ping, the SIP stuff won't get thru either. I'm not sure I understand your concern?

isaacl

Reaction score
As think wrote before, the phone is not on the same local network as the server, and I'm trying to get it to connect remotely, so don't think there's any way to ping the phone from the server...
I can probably technically ping the server from the phone, just not sure how...

blanchae

Guru
Reaction score
Both sides have to be able to see each other. Ping is the basic tool to do it. If you can't ping then you can't network. I know in earlier versions of iptables on PiaF, the echo request was dropped on the server. I've enabled it through Webmin-Linux Firewall.

isaacl

Reaction score
Both sides have to be able to see each other. Ping is the basic tool to do it. If you can't ping then you can't network. I know in earlier versions of iptables on PiaF, the echo request was dropped on the server. I've enabled it through Webmin-Linux Firewall.
I have no clue how to ping a server behind a router, much less from a phone without a command line...
Is it possible?

tshif

Guru
Reaction score
Try the ping from the PBX to the phone. If that doesnt work - you have your answer. (Yes, the phone has to be reachable by the public infastructure - you may temporarily put the phone in a DMZ situation on your private net for trouble shooting.)

Pinging from the phone is done from a putty session (for windows users). You must enable the FTP/TELNET in the phone menus before you can log in.

The phones id and password can be found elsewhere in the forums.

isaacl

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll try that soon.
Just still wondering why the phone would be the issue if using XLite on a computer on the same external network works fine...
Unless I'm not entering one of the settings in the phone VOIP settings correctly to connect to a server on an external network?

blanchae

Guru
Reaction score
Could be subnet mask, default gateway not correct. Can you ping the phone from your computer on the same subnet?

isaacl

Reaction score
OK, I was able to ping the phone from another computer on the same network, but I found a ping option on the phone, under system settings -> technical features -> network utilities, and I was unable to ping the external IP address, and a subdomain that forwards to the DynDNS address, of my server from the phone - I got an "error 14".
I am running DD-WRT on a WRT54G on that network.
Are there any settings I need to change to get it to work?
And a traceroute (also under the same menu) to the external IP seems to work, so it seems to at least be getting to the router...
Thanks!

isaacl

Reaction score
I just disabled DHCP and entered all that info manually.
And the reason why I couldn't ping the router was because it was set not to respond to remote pings, and to block anonymous WAN requests, once I changed that setting, I can now ping it fine.

blanchae

Guru
Reaction score
Or in the FreePBX GUI...

Make a Misc Destination: VoicemailRead - Dial *98

Make a Misc Application: VmailRead - Feature Code: 86245 with Destination: MiscDestination - VoiceMailRead

Then, on the phone, plug in 86245 as the Voicemail Exten under Menu, Settings, VoIP Settings, Misc, Voicemail, Voicemail Number. You also can plug in the Mailbox ID (extension) and Mailbox password if you like.

You can fudge it to make it work very slick by using *97 (instead of *98) and putting your PiaF voicemail password as the Mailbox ID. Leave the Mailbox password blank. :biggrin5:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nikko
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.