NO JOY No audio 603 Decline Nortel 1535 SIP video phone

chris_c_

Reaction score
Alert, this is probably a stupid question, but I'm tearing out my hair over this and can't seem to find the answer.

Just got the famous Nortel 1535 SIP video phone !!

No joy! Calls are dropping instantly with no audio AND 603 DECLINE sip message!!

Details:

The phone registers OK into the Incredible PBX Ubuntu 14.04 running Asterisk 13.4.0 and Incredible GUI 12.0.32.

The phone rings when I dial its extension, and when I dial from the phone, to another extension, that other extension rings.

So the SIP part is working.

No joy getting any audio (RTP) through it...!!

What happens.... when I pick up the phone, the call immediately disconnects.

My ios Zoiper app shows "603 Decline" as the reason for the call disconnect....

Any suggestion as to why this happens. Is there a log to check.

Sorry for the stupid question!!!!

First person who answers will receive a favor back when needed!!

AndyInNYC

Reaction score
If the DND button is ON, the Nortel will send a 603 (per my googling).
It could also be a codec issue - what is the phone set up for?
It could also be an Asterisk 1.8.4 (?) issue
Last issue would be NAT, if other phones are plugged in and working, make sure this extension is set up exactly the same.

You might try to do a factory reset on the extension and re-walk through the phone setup (which, as I remember, is uglier than it needs to be).

I don't have my Nortel plugged in, so I can't check.

chris_c_

Reaction score
1. The DND (Do Not Disturb) is off. The "User Guide" says DND is on when "Ringing mode" is set to "Disable". Mine is set to "Standard".
2. Codecs. My Incredible PBX codecs are set to (in order): g729, g723, uLaw, aLaw, g722, gsm, g726.
My Nortel 1535 codecs are set to (in order): G.711 ulaw, G.711 alaw, G.729, G.723, AMR. Video codecs: H.264, H.263.
3. Asterisk. Incredible is using Asterisk 13 which is supposedly stable.... anyone know otherwise??
4. NAT. Possibly.
I added several non-default non-factory settings to my DD-WRT router in a wild attempt to achieve google voice connectivity, which finally worked.
Possibly some of those settings are unnecessary and/or interfering with the Nortel's ability to achieve connectivity and/or negotiate RTP audio connection with Asterisk/Freepbx/PIAF/Incredible.. !!!
My X-Lite softphone on laptop is working fine, although I had to add many settings to get it to work...!!!
Virtual machine running Incredible/PIAF/Freepbx is working fine.
Zoiper SIP softphone app on iOS smartphone is working fine - after many tweaks of settings in that app...!!!

chris_c_

Reaction score
My Nortel 1535's voice calling is working!

Thanks to @AndyInNYC and @atsak

@atsak you were right about the exact order of the codecs. I went into IPBX, Asterisk SIP settings, and copied the exact order of the codecs that were in the Nortel 1535, into IPBX. ulaw, alaw, 729, 723, 722.

The weirdest part is... I thought the order of protocols isn't supposed to cause a call to fail, unless there are no protocols in common. I remember something about the SIP protocol specifies the server picks the first matching protocol, out of all the protocols, in order, that are supported by the client. Or client picks the first one that both it and the server supports. Anyway....

I owe both you guys a favor... beer.. coffee.. mention on twitter... name it... plus tons of forum karma.

Now the only obvious glitch with the Nortel 1535 is.... video calling is failing...

Even with the video codecs matching the order as IPBX has them, when you hit the Nortel 1535 video camera button, the Nortel tries for 2 seconds, until it gives up with the error message, "Video call request declined".

When you try to start video on the notebook X-Lite softphone app side, X-Lite fails with error, "Failed to start video."

Any ideas on how to get video calling working would be appreciated

Last edited:

atsak

Guru
Reaction score
Have you enabled H.323 or whatever it is in the SIP settings? I've never used them so can't offer much help other than that.

AndyInNYC

Reaction score
Thanks for the credit, but I think all the beer belongs to atsak on this one.

Andrew

Dave Gray

Guru
Reaction score
Re the video calling - it's always been dicey for me, using my iPad or iPhone. I recently found a new-in-box Grandstream GXV3140 at the local flea market. It works 100% with the Nortel. I don't really have any application for it, it's too easy to Facetime or Ovoo on the cell phones to be worth spending any time on, so I haven't.

Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.