TUTORIAL New Web MeetMe System - Part 1

tshif

Guru
Reaction score
New WebMeeting Version: Bug Fixes, and FreePBX Web MeetMe Support Module
FreePBX conference rooms are undoubtedly one of the coolest and most often requested functions of a PBX. But the Conferences created in FreePBX can be a security concern.

Once a conference is created, its available all the time, with the same PIN’s, until its deleted by a PBX administrator. From a security standpoint, this may be ok for conference rooms that are ONLY available to inside extensions, but it could spell disaster and abuse for conference rooms that can be reached via DID or IVR from the outside world. In these cases, a previous conference attendee would gain exposure to the user PIN, and could call back and use the conference room without authorization.

Web MeetMe to the Rescue
Web MeetMe is a big step forward – conferences created in Web MeetMe expire. They are valid only during the periods for which they were configured to be available. Outside those valid times/dates, the conferences won’t work, with or without PIN.

By scheduling conferences that expire, Web MeetMe encourages the important security practice of deploying new PINS (and even conference ID’s) for each conference that is created.

Why a new version now?
Fixes for the base code of Web MeetMe designed to correct possible sql injection attack concerns have recently become available in the SVN, and should be applied to any production system running Web MeetMe. This new install script provides the newest codebase, as well as several additional important fixes that correct several nagging problems with the user interface and several functions of the Web MeetMe user interface.

Also, the current version of Web MeetMe for PBXIAF requires the administrator to manually create and manage the Special Destination in FreePBX. This can be cumbersome, and introduce inadvertent configuration errors. This new version includes a “Companion Module” for FreePBX that turns the Web MeetMe program into a full blown FreePBX Module and Feature, which allows you to manage the feature code, and even enable or disable the Web MeetMe function, right from the FreePBX Feature Control page.

The good news is that for a first time install (no previous Web MeetMe version installed) , it’s as simple as:
    • Run the installation script
    • Install the module
    • Start using WebMeetMe.
Prerequisites
This program and process were developed expressly for, and have been tested only with PBX In A Flash, Fonica PABX, and Foncordiax distributions. On other distros, your mileage may vary.

If you have installed the standard PBXIAF WebMeetMe script as it exists today – that version must be removed to assure a straight forward install of this new upgraded version. If you don’t do this Web MeetMe will be crushed – and will not work any more. Removal is simple, and should take less than 5 minutes.

Removal of previous Web MeetMe
1. From your PBXIAF, remove the entire folder:
/var/www/html/web-meetme

2. From inside /root/, delete all scripts with the characters “meetme3” in them. (install-meetme3.x, or if your trying to run this script again, also remove piaf-wmm.sh)

3. Using the FreePBX Config Editor, from inside extensions_custom.conf, remove the following contexts in their entirety:
[mm-announce], [mm-end], and [custom-meetme3]

4. Remove (or don’t) any FreePBX Custom Destinations you have created to use the Previous install of Web MeetMe. The custom destination code (custom-meetme3,s,1) is the same for both versions of Web Meetme, so you’ll very likely still need these – and would just end up creating them again) Either way, the new install will create a Custom Destination for use with Web MeetMe – which you may use or ignore.

5. Remove any FreePBX Misc Applications you have created to use the previous install of Web MeetMe. This step is important – the new version creates its own Feature Code to replace the Miscellaneous Application. Because we have created a module for Web MeetMe, you will now have a feature code to dial – which can be configured from the FreePBX feature code page.

6. Remove the KennonSoft menu Web-MeetMe Icon.
From inside /Var/html/welcome/.htindex.cfg, locate and delete the line that looks something like this:
1,meetme,./web-meetme,Web MeetMe3,ico_meetme.png

Don’t forget to save your changes!

7. Remove Previous Web Security Settings
The previous versions of Web MeetMe create entries in the web security control file, as does this new script. In order to prevent unnecessary build up in the file, the previous installs entries should be removed.

In /etc/pbx/httpdconf/pbx.conf, locate and remove the block that looks like this:

#Password protect /var/www/html/web-meetme
<Directory /var/www/html/web-meetme>
AuthType Basic
AuthName "Restricted Area"
AuthUserFile /usr/local/apache/passwd/wwwpasswd
Require user wwwadmin maint meetme
</Directory>

Don’t forget to save your changes.

8. Optional: Remove Web MeetMe database.
If you don’t want to keep any of your current Web MeetMe configurations or meeting schedule data (you want a “clean” install), you may use phpMyAdmin to drop the meetme database from the system. From inside phpMyAdmin, select the webmeetme database. Then, in the upper right hand corner, click DROP. Be careful, if you’ve selected the wrong database – there is no recovery.

The database has not changed between the versions of Web Meetme – if you leave your existing Database, it will be adopted and used just fine by the new install.

Now your ready to perform the new installation.

See New Web MeetMe System - Part 2

tshif

Guru
Reaction score
New Web MeetMe System - Part 2

Web Meetme Installation:
Thanks to Joe Roper providing us with a beautiful installation script (I sure didn't write it!), the install is as easy as cake. While logged in to your PBX as root, from putty (or your favorite tool) execute these lines:

Code:
 cd /root
 wget [URL]http://projects.colsolgrp.net/projects/webmeetme/repository/raw/Install/piaf-wmm.sh[/URL]
 chmod +x piaf-wmm.sh

Now, if you have changed your MySQL password (as you may have done if you use Joe Ropers PBX management tool), you need to edit the piaf-wmm.sh script located in /root. You will find it on line 37 of the script.

After editing the password – if needed – save your changes and then execute this line:

./piaf-wmm.sh

The installation script will now run. Thanks very much to Joe Roper for providing us this script in non-compiled and completely reviewable form, we can observe each line being executed as the script runs. (If you have ever wanted to look “under the hood” of an installation script – this is a GREAT opportunity for learning.)

As the installation finishes, you will see a message, indicating a successful installation.

This installation is covered by the same htaccess security as the previous version. Just as you would have before, continue to use your meetme, wwwadmin or maint password to gain access to the Web MeetMe user interface. Continue to use the passwd-meetme script in PBXIAF to manage the password.

When you arrive at the Web MeetMe main screen, you may log in with the default id/pw of root@localhost / password.

If you have elected to keep your previous WebMeetme database, your previous log ins and ID’s still work, and can be used normally as before.

If this is a new setup, you will probably want to log in as administrator and establish ID/passwords for all users that you wish to be able to set up conferences in the system.

Rememebr, In Web MeetMe, non administrative ID’s only have access to their own conferences, and User ID. So many users can share the system without running into each others meeting data.

Installing the Web MeetMe PIAF FreePBX Module
Now its time to download and install the FreePBX Module that completes this improved Web MeetMe installation. The Module creates the Feature Code in FreePBX, and allows you to manage it from the FreePBX Feature Code page. It also provides access to the Web MeetMe interface from within FreePBX.

Step 1: Download the most current stable, non dev version of the module to your desktop from here.
Don’t decompress the archive!

Step 2: Use a web browser to access FreePBX on your Asterisk PBX. Choose Tools, Module Admin, Upload Module. Now Browse to the webmeetme-1.0.0.tgz file on your Desktop and click the Upload button. Now click local module administration, scroll down and click on Web MeetMe and then the Install radio button. Now click Process, and complete the usual FreePBX install and reload process.

Step 3: While still in FreePBX, navigate to Setup, Feature Codes. Near the bottom of the screen, locate Web MeetMe. Use these controls to change the Feature code to anything you like (providing it doesn’t conflict with anything else in your PBX). You can also enable or disable the Web MeetMe function entirely from this location. Submits your changes, approve and process when you are satisfied with the settings.

For good measure, execute amportal restart.

To test your installation, pick up any phone and dial the feature code you selected. You should hear Allison asking you for your conference ID.

For more information, see the following wiki entries:
Scripted Install: Web MeetMe for PBXIAF
Web MeetMe Support Module for FreePBX

This module is compatible with the security models used in, and has been tested to work with the following distributions:
Fonicatec PABX
Foncordiax
PBX In A Flash
TrixBOX CE

Asterisk Version Compatibility
This module has been tested and found to work correctly with Asterisk versions 1.4 and 1.6.

Until next time –
tshif

jpe

Reaction score
My old instanse of WebMeetMe stopped working. I reinstalled using the script. Now the link to ad a user via a callout is not there.
using http://bite/web-meetme/out_call.php?confNo=11111 brings up the page and will call from there.

Any ideas where I messed up?
tia
jpe

edit:

I messed up by not scrolling to the bottom of the page.
I updated to 3.1.0 in the interim and all appears to working well.

drmurdoch

Reaction score
Cool feature: FreePBX conference rooms

New WebMeeting Version: Bug Fixes, and FreePBX Web MeetMe Support Module
FreePBX conference rooms are undoubtedly one of the coolest and most often requested functions of a PBX. But the Conferences created in FreePBX can be a security concern.

Web MeetMe to the Rescue
Web MeetMe is a big step forward – conferences created in Web MeetMe expire. They are valid only during the periods for which they were configured to be available. Outside those valid times/dates, the conferences won’t work, with or without PIN.

By scheduling conferences that expire, Web MeetMe encourages the important security practice of deploying new PINS (and even conference ID’s) for each conference that is created.

FreePBX conference rooms
Cool feature. Will have to look into that.

tshif

Guru
Reaction score
jpe;

I am unfamiliar with the call out function. I just tried it and I do get the screen. But Iget an error when I try and use it. Is there some configuration this is needed?

-tshif

cb122

Reaction score
I have this installed but I am having issues. I have created the conference with a conf number, Mod Pin, and User Pin. Upon getting the greeting and the request to put in the meeting number plus the # sign I get asked for the password. I then put in the user pin. it then tells me "that is not a valid conference number.

Any ideas?

jroper

Guru
Reaction score
Do simple conferences work created in FreePBX?

This effect can occur if yuo have not got a timing source, e.g. ztdummy or a card.

Joe

cb122

Reaction score
No I get the same type of errors there as well.

I have a tdm400p so the zaptel should be working.

cb122

Reaction score
ok I have unistalled completely and reinstalled this script just in case I may have bungled something up. and it is still not right.

This is what I am getting when I call. the Auth incorrect was my purposely putting in the wrong pin.

Goto (custom-meetme3,s,1)
-- Executing [s@custom-meetme3:1] Answer("SIP/cb122-08ec5ab0", "") in new stack
-- Executing [s@custom-meetme3:2] Wait("SIP/cb122-08ec5ab0", "1") in new stack
-- Executing [s@custom-meetme3:3] CBMySQL("SIP/cb122-08ec5ab0", "") in new stack
-- <SIP/cb122-08ec5ab0> Playing 'conf-getconfno' (language 'en')
-- <SIP/cb122-08ec5ab0> Playing 'conf-invalid' (language 'en')
-- <SIP/cb122-08ec5ab0> Playing 'conf-getconfno' (language 'en')
-- <SIP/cb122-08ec5ab0> Playing 'agent-pass' (language 'en')
-- <SIP/cb122-08ec5ab0> Playing 'auth-incorrect' (language 'en')
-- <SIP/cb122-08ec5ab0> Playing 'auth-incorrect' (language 'en')
== Parsing '/etc/asterisk/meetme.conf': Found
== Parsing '/etc/asterisk/meetme_additional.conf': Found
-- <SIP/cb122-08ec5ab0> Playing 'conf-invalid' (language 'en')
== Spawn extension (custom-meetme3, s, 3) exited non-zero on 'SIP/cb122-08ec5ab0'

cb122

Reaction score
I was looking at the configs and in the meetme.conf there is the following.

[rooms]
#include meetme_additional.conf

Do I need to configure rooms such as 112, 113, and so forth? now when I set a meeting up it gives me a random number.

jroper

Guru
Reaction score
No I get the same type of errors there as well.

If you are getting the errors with a standard conference in FreePBX, then there is another problem unrelated to webmeetme 3.

As I say, this is usually down to a lack of a timing source. however, given you have a card, I am at a loss to understand why conferencing is not working.

My advice would be to get it working in FreePBX first, and worry about WMM3 later.

Jeo

cb122

Reaction score
fixed

:smile5:

Reinstalled on a different box and I am able get the meetings to work now.

kevinb

Reaction score
Cant get Webmeetme working

Joe,
Just installed web meetme per your instructions on the first page. I can get into the web interface and admin users, etc. ok, however when I dial *66 to try by phone I get a fast busy in return. Tried changing the code to something else just to test, same thing. If I set it to just 66 (no asterisk) I get a call can not be completed as dialed message back. Any ideas? Thanks!

Kevin

jroper

Guru
Reaction score
Hi

Inspect the /var/log/asterisk/full log for more clues as to why this is not working.

Joe

tshif

Guru
Reaction score
Did you run the installation script - or only install the module?

kevinb

Reaction score
Both

Ran the script and then installed the module Tony. I'll take a look at the logs and see what might be going on.

tshif

Guru
Reaction score
Compatible with TrixBOX CE

The Web MeetMe Support Module has been tested and found to work well on TrixBOX CE.

More info:
This module is compatible with the security models used in, and has been tested with the following distributions. These distributions come with Web MeetMe pre installed - therefor this support module may be installed and used without further preparation:
Fonicatec PABX
Foncordiax
TrixBOX CE

PBX in a Flash requires a separate (easy and fast) installation process be run to install Web MeetMe first. That process is documented in the first article of this thread.
PBX In A Flash

mp1111

Reaction score
Excellent! Let us know what you find -
I had to change from *66 to *95... Now it says invalid conf #... and I have 2 conferences scheduled..
here are the logs:

[2009-04-04 07:55:07] VERBOSE[3938] logger.c: == Manager 'phpagi' logged off from 127.0.0.1
[2009-04-04 07:55:20] VERBOSE[3943] logger.c: -- Executing [*95@from-internal:1] NoOp("SIP/101-09230e10", "Running miscapp 3: Meetme3") in new stack
[2009-04-04 07:55:20] VERBOSE[3943] logger.c: -- Executing [*95@from-internal:2] Goto("SIP/101-09230e10", "custom-meetme3|s|1") in new stack
[2009-04-04 07:55:20] VERBOSE[3943] logger.c: -- Goto (custom-meetme3,s,1)
[2009-04-04 07:55:20] VERBOSE[3943] logger.c: -- Executing [s@custom-meetme3:1] Answer("SIP/101-09230e10", "") in new stack
[2009-04-04 07:55:20] VERBOSE[3943] logger.c: -- Executing [s@custom-meetme3:2] Wait("SIP/101-09230e10", "1") in new stack
[2009-04-04 07:55:21] VERBOSE[3943] logger.c: -- Executing [s@custom-meetme3:3] CBMySQL("SIP/101-09230e10", "") in new stack
[2009-04-04 07:55:21] VERBOSE[3943] logger.c: -- <SIP/101-09230e10> Playing 'conf-getconfno' (language 'en')
[2009-04-04 07:55:28] VERBOSE[3943] logger.c: -- <SIP/101-09230e10> Playing 'conf-invalid' (language 'en')
[2009-04-04 07:55:31] VERBOSE[3943] logger.c: -- <SIP/101-09230e10> Playing 'conf-getconfno' (language 'en')
[2009-04-04 07:55:34] VERBOSE[3943] logger.c: -- <SIP/101-09230e10> Playing 'conf-invalid' (language 'en')
[2009-04-04 07:55:36] WARNING[3943] file.c: Failed to write frame
[2009-04-04 07:55:36] VERBOSE[3943] logger.c: -- <SIP/101-09230e10> Playing 'conf-getconfno' (language 'en')
[2009-04-04 07:55:36] NOTICE[3943] app_cbmysql.c: getConf: -1
[2009-04-04 07:55:36] VERBOSE[3943] logger.c: == Spawn extension (custom-meetme3, s, 3) exited non-zero on 'SIP/101-09230e10'

jroper

Guru
Reaction score
Hi

Can you confirm that you can use a normal conference created just in FreePBX?

Joe

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
voiplads
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.