FOOD FOR THOUGHT New gv VoIP

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
The Google voice VoIP is now live for all users in US. Select WiFi and mobile data in Make and Receive calls settings. That setting only affects calls with gv app, not the phone dialer.
Just in time to try out for my trip to the Dominican Republic where a data sim is like 3.00.

I wonder if there is any real difference between using Hangouts to answer all calls and Hangouts dialer to make them.

Since I have TMobile, I can also use their app, digits to get my US cell phone with a DR data SIM.

That and 3cx extension on my cell should ensure that I continue to bug my office during my vacation!

That's where my wife is from, please let me know how your experience goes for future reference. I don't recall data sim's being that cheap though.

phinphan

Reaction score
That's where my wife is from, please let me know how your experience goes for future reference. I don't recall data sim's being that cheap though.
Krzykat - will do. I will know by noon tomorrow whether my online research or that of my bilingual children was accurate.

phinphan

Reaction score
Krzykat - gv VoIP works very well on Claro in the DR. 23 mb up and 14mb down. The claro Sims were ridiculously expensive at airport ($30) so we bought them at Casa de Campo for $10 unlimited for 5 days. Direct refill is 140 pesos or about $3.

3cx is like I am in the next room.

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
Krzykat - gv VoIP works very well on Claro in the DR. 23 mb up and 14mb down. The claro Sims were ridiculously expensive at airport ($30) so we bought them at Casa de Campo for $10 unlimited for 5 days. Direct refill is 140 pesos or about $3.

3cx is like I am in the next room.

THANK YOU !!! - so Claro Sim (should work around the whole country) and you got unlimited data plan for $10USD for 5 days? Can you then keep that SIM and reactivate it when you show back up the next time?

phinphan

Reaction score
THANK YOU !!! - so Claro Sim (should work around the whole country) and you got unlimited data plan for $10USD for 5 days? Can you then keep that SIM and reactivate it when you show back up the next time?
I don't know the answer to that, but I will say the service, at least in Casa de Campo area, has been outstanding. Much better than WiFi in every place I have tried. Voice quality over WhatsApp, 3cx, TMobile Digits and GV VOIP has been better than normal cell quality.

phinphan

Reaction score
All in all, the GV VoIP capability was very good, high quality over cellular data on the Claro network in the Dominican Republic. Sound quality was better than normal cell.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leocipriano
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.