FOOD FOR THOUGHT New gv VoIP

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
50595323-when-pigs-fly-text-lettering-on-sky-with-clouds-and-cute-cartoon-pig-.jpg

dicko

Still learning but earning
Reaction score
Also bacon would likely go up in price ;-)

dallas

Reaction score
I've wondered for a while now what the fuss over Google Voice was all about.
Here in Oz ISP's include a VoIP landline in their plans for free and most have unlimited calls included.

dicko

Reaction score
Hard to understand how they include a "landline" , they might provide an FXS port on the modem that provides dial-tone complete with a DID, but it is unlikely a usable SIP connection and the 'landline' concept goes away as soon as your network connection with them dies. A land line is as it suggests a pair of wires between your house and the local exchange (the building in town without any windows where you c an get your white pages from ;-) )

But truly, when you can buy a reliable service for a buck a month and less than a penny minute , who needs the aggravation ?

Last edited:

dallas

Reaction score
@dicko you are correct it is an FXS port on the modem. Perhaps I should have said "sudo landline" not "VoIP landline". My point is it is totally free. I agree GV is no longer worth the effort.
Oh, BTW telephone exchanges here do have windows. :)

dicko

Reaction score
@dicko you are correct it is an FXS port on the modem. Perhaps I should have said "sudo landline" not "VoIP landline". My point is it is totally free. I agree GV is no longer worth the effort.
Oh, BTW telephone exchanges here do have windows. :)
That's efficient ;-) gotta let those relays enjoy the sunlight

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
I've wondered for a while now what the fuss over Google Voice was all about.
Here in Oz ISP's include a VoIP landline in their plans for free and most have unlimited calls included.

The oligopolies in the U.S. charge $29.95/mo. for that port.

kenn10

Reaction score
It won't be long before all the telephone company Central Offices are consolidated into a mere internet point of presence. The phone companies want only wireless or entertainment divisions. Copper wires and fiberoptics are too expensive to maintain and are largely being neglected or abandoned. The at&t's and Verizon's of the world have all but abandoned the physical facilities and they have millions of dollars in surplus switching hardware they no longer need. Sadly, as VOIP has become prevalent, the whole idea of 99.999% reliability has gone the way of the dodo bird. The Lucent 5ESS and Nortel DMS100 switches of the world are slowly going dark.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Amen to that. If you travel through the Deep South, most of the old AT&T central offices in small towns are covered in vines. Of course, we have about a dozen servers sitting in our attic at the moment so I guess we've all moved on to the latest shiny object.

ou812

Guru
Reaction score
From a few tears ago, all my customers have changed from old Toshiba out new Asterisk servers in.
s!AnUI7QCPaq9YiEdztemcha2eSgPy

dallas

Reaction score
The oligopolies in the U.S. charge $29.95/mo. for that port.
In that case we may be paying too much for our internet access in Australia. We can't avoid taking the "free" service, even if we don't plug in a handset, but I'll bet it contributes to the overall cost of the internet service. I pay AUD $80 per month with a static IP. (That's around US $60.)

dallas

Reaction score
For how much bandwidth down/up? and what level of service? cable / dsl / fiber?

Thanks to our politicians Australia internet is a dog's breakfast.
The rollout of a nation broadband network started about 10 years ago and was supposed to completely replace the copper telephone network with fibre to the home (FTTH). There was a change of government 5 years ago and they immediately change the structure of the half built network. They claimed the country couldn’t afford it. We now have a mix of FTTH, FTTB, FTTN, FTTC and HFC providing the connections to customers.
There are only 3 asymmetrical speed plans offered. 12Mbps, 50Mbps and 100Mbps. Most homes that are not on FTTH can’t get 100Mbps.
/EndRant

@krzykat My internet is fibre to the home and the plan is 50Mbps down and around 6Mbps up.

phinphan

Reaction score
The Google voice VoIP is now live for all users in US. Select WiFi and mobile data in Make and Receive calls settings. That setting only affects calls with gv app, not the phone dialer.
Just in time to try out for my trip to the Dominican Republic where a data sim is like 3.00.

I wonder if there is any real difference between using Hangouts to answer all calls and Hangouts dialer to make them.

Since I have TMobile, I can also use their app, digits to get my US cell phone with a DR data SIM.

That and 3cx extension on my cell should ensure that I continue to bug my office during my vacation!

ostridge

Guru
Reaction score
But remember that "when pigs fly" then "bacon will go up" pretty well everything else also in post-brexit UK ;-)
I reckon your comment is on the money. Any changes in governmental reorganisation invariably result in the usual rip off.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pbxnewguy
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.