I HAVE A DREAM Need help to make/modify Superfecta UK Telemarketers Lookup using better source (who-called.co.uk)

kujina

Reaction score
Hello all,

My father in frustration has been taking about canceling the land line due to an onslaught of daily telemarketers. I've persuaded him not not to for several reasons (one reason, having quite a few relatives abroad).

I see there are about three data sources for looking up UK Telemarketers in superfecta but those websites aren't updated much by the public and go for days with no new listings.

who-called.co.uk seems way more active with new comments every few minutes (great site).

I dont have any programming experience but I have been looking at some of the superfecta sources such as phonespamfilter.co.uk and reversephonebooks.co.uk and trying to reverse engineer them but I need help in creating a lookup using who-called.co.uk

Below is my attempt modifying an existing .module file

https://pastebin.com/CyDps9Wj

atsak

Guru
Reaction score
I got rid of almost all telemarketers by sending all inbound calls to an IVR first. The message "Thanks for calling - if you're friends or family please press 1 to be put through to our line, if you're calling for marketing or other purposes please stand by to leave a message".

Probably get maybe 1 a month now. Have had my landline number for about 15 years or so, so they all know it :)

kujina

Reaction score
I got rid of almost all telemarketers by sending all inbound calls to an IVR first.

I did consider that but we have some relatives abroad who are quite old and don't speak English so I'd rather avoid a default IVR. Also I like the idea of sending SPAM calls automatically to Lenny turning what is currently a nuisance into something that might make my parents laugh instead. Anybody else notice that older folks get a lot more frustrated by telemarketers and scams (perhaps its much more time spent at home)?

geopeterwc

Guru
Reaction score
I got rid of almost all telemarketers by sending all inbound calls to an IVR first. The message "Thanks for calling - if you're friends or family please press 1 to be put through to our line, if you're calling for marketing or other purposes please stand by to leave a message".
This DOES work. The real "trick" is to use an IVR announcement message that delays the processing of the incoming call. A 15 second message will discourage most robocalls, as most robocallers will disconnect within that time.

In your IVR-recorded announcement, you can offer the caller to "press (some number) to skip this message" and default/timeout to ring the house phones. This allows, even if the caller is not able to understand the spoken language or if they are unable to press a key/number the caller will still connect, albeit delayed by the length of your message.

This approach has worked effectively to eliminate nearly 100% of scam calls.

You can also use the IVR for hidden options, i.e., access to voicemail, DISA, etc. on your iPBX.

/Pete./

atsak

Guru
Reaction score
I did consider that but we have some relatives abroad who are quite old and don't speak English so I'd rather avoid a default IVR. Also I like the idea of sending SPAM calls automatically to Lenny turning what is currently a nuisance into something that might make my parents laugh instead. Anybody else notice that older folks get a lot more frustrated by telemarketers and scams (perhaps its much more time spent at home)?

In this instance I would create one IVR with an inbound route and CID that has any country code from a given language presented in one language and then the other other one from English (or vice versa if that's more appropriate based on the volume of calls).

Regardless though I wish you well on updating a CID superfecta module. They guy who used to maintain some of the modules can be found sometimes I've noticed over at the FreePBX forums (cuz he works for Sangoma now), so you can always try to see if you can catch Lorne's attention (lgaetz is his handle i believe) for pointers.

markieb

Reaction score
Yeah, I use ukphoneinfo.com A LOT on my system and have had to modify it a few times over the past year to use new url formats they keep changing around.
I'm in no way a competent programmer or even vaguely clever enough to modify more than the changing url format, but would love to have that module modified to include mobile provider number lookup as well, as the module only pulls back landline numbers right now. They do have mobile provider number lookups on the site but the module doesn't read them :(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nikko
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.