Multiple NIC support during install setup

redwil

Reaction score
Hi,

First - awesome work - thank you

Since the install process is automated if there are multiple nics in the system you sometimes end up w/ a half baked install.

Wil

jroper

Guru
Reaction score
Hi

What happens if you plug both NICs into the LAN together before starting the install.

As I understand it, if you have only one NIC attached the the network, and by misfortune the other NIC is the one that gets installed, the install file will not load.

This is easily cured by moving the cable to the other port, and rebooting, once it gets an IP address, then the install will continue.

Yours

Joe

redwil

Reaction score
Hi,

Obviously is what I did. Then I set the other one through the shell.

What I would have liked is to be able to set them up during CentOS install setup process similar to the way disks are setup.

I am by no means knwledgable into the kickstart process but I imagine there should be a way to display the network setup panel during install. A sensible default would help some people.

Besides this is not a complete unattended install hence an extra click wouldn't be to much.

The alternative for those who want a more refined installation process would be to use a vanilla CentOS set the box up as they wish then manually install PiaF through the install.sh script. In this case it would be nice to know the dependancy list such that all the depenancies would be installed first most likely through yum.

Wil

jroper

Guru
Reaction score
Hi

Its always difficult to strike a happy balance between ease of use and install, (Trixbox?) and flexibility (Roll-ur-own?), Unfortunately the two aims are often mutually exclusive. PiaF has endeavoured to meet a happy medium.

kickstart seems to allow us to either configure the network, or not to configure network - not, configure but give an option to change.

Given the above, a choice was made to configure the network, secure in the knowledge that you can make the necessary alterations in webmin or at the CLI if required, so I would not regard the inability to configure a multi-homed network during install as an issue, as it does not cause an installation to be "half-baked". The PiaF will install or will not install. If it does not, it's trivial to move the netwok cable and reboot.

The packages used in the install are in the anaconda file in /root or can be found on the cd in ks.cfg

Joe

redwil

Reaction score
Hi,

I ment no offence w/ my 'half-baked' remark. Somehow I had the hope of an out-of-the-box experience.

Most likely I did not understood which is the targeted audience of the project.

There are just few things I found need to be modified/customized during a fresh system install:

- HD Partitioning
- Network Config
- System name (FDQN)
- SSH service enabling (if not done by the installer)
- Root password

BTW I am curious to know if the content of the ISO was handpicked or you started w/ one of the existing image then add/cut packages. In the later case which ones?

Wil

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
The idea was to have a functioning system after the install for 99% of users. Once you get into multiple NICs, RAID drives, special partitioning requirements, and support for USB toaster ovens, you're on your own. But at least the tools are preinstalled to make the process very simple if you know what you're doing.

PBX in a Flash provides an eclectic mix of applications. These apps have been culled from years of tinkering and wrestling with this stuff. The source for all of the build is freely available through links on the pbxinaflash.net page. That means if the mix we've chosen doesn't perfectly meet someone's special needs, then you're free and encouraged to roll your own and share the results with everyone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cajeptha
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.