MP3 capable media players

telemach

Reaction score
It would be very nice of you if you could provide us precompiled media players via scipt or module. I'm speaking of

mpg123
SOX
mplayer

all of them can play mp3 files however

mpg123 - version 0.59r is the only one working fine (I've tested all of them), newer ones are also good but gain feature is not working

SOX - needs to be recompiled with libmad and lame to play and encode MP3, and this older version

http://ftp.freshrpms.net/pub/freshr.../3/sox-12.17.5-3.fr/sox-12.17.5-3.fr.i386.rpm

refuse to play some mp3 files

mplayer - very good player however it is a pain to find a RPM that wouldn't need additional dependencies, so compiling from source is required

Many of us need to use these tools, not only for MoH so having this as an addon or default in PIAF would be great.

jroper

Guru
Reaction score
Hi

I usually just convert any music on hold to a wav file using wavepad from NCH, then drop it in the moh directory.

Compiling from source is not very difficult. Usually you simply run make clean, ./configure, make, make install. but read the install and readme files first.

Joe

telemach

Reaction score
Converting is one thing and playback is another.

I know that compiling is easy however if you are newbie you need to search
a little to find out what are the commands to do it and besides it isn't like few secs. Compiling takes some and I think having a script that would provide you with all these tools would be easier and simpler to get things done.

jroper

Guru
Reaction score
No problem, put up a bounty, with a specification of what you want to happen, and we'll see if anyone steps up to the plate.

Joe

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Just be aware that mpg123 is notorious for crashing Asterisk systems. Don't use it on a production system!! As Joe said, convert files to .wav and use those.

telemach

Reaction score
Just be aware that mpg123 is notorious for crashing Asterisk systems.

I am aware and that's why I switched to format_mp3 and mplayer however
Digium is still using it in app_mp3.c so as long as they would not give us some universal media bridge we might have to use this in some cases.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nikko
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.