FYI Moving PBX to the Cloud

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
I found this interesting, and trying to figure out if I have time to watch this today, as I'd be interested to hearing their "pitch" (Ring Central).
I figure I might pick up some nice marketing thoughts.

WEBINAR:
Migrating from a Premises-Based PBX to the Cloud -
The Tide has Turned
TODAY! July 16, 2019
2:00pm ET/ 11:00 AM PT
REGISTER TODAY

With an increasing number of legacy PBXs being end-of-lifed, organizations need to decide how to move forward and have to make many decisions. Moving to a cloud-based, Unified Communications as a Service (UCaaS) solution should be top of mind.
This webinar will cover questions that organizations should be thinking about:
  • What are the key benefits and drivers for moving to UCaaS?
  • What are the architectural options?
  • How should organizations migrate to the new service?
  • Why is NOW the time to migrate to UCaaS?
You’ll hear from a leading industry analyst, as well as a customer that recently migrated to the cloud about why and how to make the move.

smarks

Guru
Reaction score
Why not? Premise based hasn't made sense for many years. Other than some edge cases where they don't have a choice.

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
It didn't really say anything that most of us that have been doing this for years don't already know, but it was good to hear someone's marketing explanations.

A funny thing for example is when I went to be interviewed by a new client was what happens if the internet is down, that means we don't have phones? Correct, but can you do any work anyhow? Nope.
Well then, we can use a backup internet (Comcast Connection Pro 4G failover works great) - and then you get everything. When 5G finally rolls out properly, we'll have excellent internet backup paths.

atsak

Guru
Reaction score
I have LTE failover configured on Fortinet 60 firewalls working just fine in various places; not beholden to comcrap that way (use Verizon in the US for the LTE stick). But also it's important host in a datacenter - they have WAY less outages than your endponts out there, so at least people can leave messages. I even had a situation today where the virtual host had a hardware fault and took the primary PBX offline at the office; Yealink phones switched to the datacenter backup and the carrier is configured failover - callers had no idea (except in progress calls) except for some additional post dial delay for timeouts.

phonebuff

Guru
Reaction score
While the local loop is becoming more and more capable, one question I always look at when evaluating cloud verses on premise is what the call load looks like. If many of the extensions are calling each other or significant numbers of them tend to be in common group conference calls then a local install is better than using all the band width needed to support a cloud install.. Accountants and Attorneys are prime examples of where a local or hybrid solution are typically better fits.

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
Accountants and Attorneys are prime examples of where a local or hybrid solution are typically better fits.

You must weight all the considerations. Law firms are probably my largest group of clients. You are correct about bandwidth for internal calls, but I mean if you've got 30 phones, and 10 are chatting with each other, you're only talking about 1 Meg of Bandwidth. I have a client that insists upon using paging to alert who's on the phone to 20 phones at same time and they only have a Comcast 50/10 line, and they have no issues. The advantage of onsite is they can chat with each other when the internet is down, however the disadvantage is that if their internet is down - the inbound calls don't get to where they need to be. I prefer to have the calls go to the cloud where we can manipulate them however we want, including re-routing to mobiles or IVR or Voicemail as desired. You just need to do the math and see if they have sufficient infrastructure.

smarks

Guru
Reaction score
It didn't really say anything that most of us that have been doing this for years don't already know, but it was good to hear someone's marketing explanations.

A funny thing for example is when I went to be interviewed by a new client was what happens if the internet is down, that means we don't have phones? Correct, but can you do any work anyhow? Nope.
Well then, we can use a backup internet (Comcast Connection Pro 4G failover works great) - and then you get everything. When 5G finally rolls out properly, we'll have excellent internet backup paths.

I am not sure why some people seem to think 5g is this revolutionary thing. It's just an incremental improvement from 4g as far as I can tell, and the benefits are things that mostly benefit the telco's not the end-users. As you said, you can use 4g with existing infrastructure as a backup now. I doubt they will just give you more bandwidth at no additional cost with 5g when they need to spend billions to upgrade their infrastructure

Last edited:

smarks

Guru
Reaction score
While the local loop is becoming more and more capable, one question I always look at when evaluating cloud verses on premise is what the call load looks like. If many of the extensions are calling each other or significant numbers of them tend to be in common group conference calls then a local install is better than using all the band width needed to support a cloud install.. Accountants and Attorneys are prime examples of where a local or hybrid solution are typically better fits.

I found that if you are doing lots of BLF that can create lots of bandwidth spikes over the cloud. Every time a call is setup or torn down every single BLF on every phone gets a separate chunk of bytes over the wire. That adds up to a lot of traffic all happening at the same time. If it's just a few phones then it's ok but it adds up exponentially as you add more phones.

Last edited:

kmcdaniel

Reaction score
Are you able to make remote sip registrations via Verizon LTE failover?

kmcdaniel

Reaction score
Nobody using endpoints at a location with cellular internet backup?

tbrummell

Guru
Reaction score
You asked about a very specific carrier. I'm sure there are a few that use LTE as backup, like myself, but that is via a different carrier, and the traffic is carried in an OpenVPN tunnel.

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score

I've used LTE failover for internet. Comcast offers just such a service. I have also done dual WAN's with both AT&T and Comcast using an Edgerouter. In that scenario, we like to have computer traffic over the comcast, and phone over the AT&T, however if either goes down, the other side picks up for all traffic.

kmcdaniel

Reaction score
So with Comcast LTE cellular backup, you have had no issues with sip working?

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
So with Comcast LTE cellular backup, you have had no issues with sip working?

No issues is a strong word .. But Yes - it works properly. Usually, they pick up a new IP - and I use a whitelist with a provisioning script on the phones, so they need to reboot so that the phones whiltelist the new IP and are registered. That being said ... sure - if I wasn't blocking the sip packets on my PBX, it would work right away. Your mileage may vary with how many calls and quality, but Most the LTE can get at least 2-3 upload and with that you can run several phones.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ejrubin
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.