FOOD FOR THOUGHT Move home pbx to the cloud?

Reaction score
Hi.

I've been running a small asterisk pbx of various flavors, most recently piaf, for the last few years. It's now on a small/cheap revo, which means I can throw it in my luggage when I travel.

But I'm wondering if I should move it to a host and avoid even that trouble. The options I've found seem to be Chicago VP at $7/mo ($84/yr) and RentPbx at $15/mo ($180/yr)

I've got the following questions though:

1. My extensions are, for the most part, Cisco phones running SIP. The locations I travel to most often (where I keep spare extensions) have ISPs with dynamic addresses. I believe that this causes security issues which might be difficult to solve.

2. What are the pros and cons of Chicago v Rentpbx? Is rentpbx really worth an extra $100 a year? Any other providers out there I should be looking at?

ian

dad311

Guru
Reaction score
For remote phones with dynamic IPs, use a service like dyndns. This will let you assign an FQDN to your remote dynamic IP. Then setup iptables on your PBX to allow your FQDN.:cool: I use this for my ssh connection only.

See this link for more info.

You can also setup your PBX in the cloud with a built-in OpenVPN server. Your remote locations could use a dd-wrt router with a OpenVPN client built-in. You could also run OpenVPN on a laptop to connect with a soft phone. At this point all your remote phones would be on the same logical network as the PBX in the cloud. This is the method I'm currently using for a "demo" PBX system.:cool::cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

rossiv

Guru
Reaction score
1. My extensions are, for the most part, Cisco phones running SIP. The locations I travel to most often (where I keep spare extensions) have ISPs with dynamic addresses. I believe that this causes security issues which might be difficult to solve

ian
I have *never* gotten a Cisco phone running SIP (Read: 7960g/7970g/7902g) to register to a hosted PBX behind a NAT. It just never works. I can get it to register if I put it on a public IP, but you probably won't be able to get a public IP wherever you are consistently.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leocipriano
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.