FUNNY STUFF More of the Same

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
The usual FreePBX hired help bashing PIAF on their forum and removing other views so... here you go:

For the record @gforceco, you're running Asterisk 12 which is no longer supported. In evaluating the dangers of various distros, you probably should consider the source of the advice and who acknowledged a root exploit of the FreePBX Distro just three short weeks ago. Then ask yourself how that could happen if the FreePBX Distro weren't running with root user privileges. The difference is that the FreePBX Firewall not only didn't protect FreePBX, but it was the actual cause of the root compromise. In contrast, the firewall available for PIAF and Incredible PBX runs INDEPENDENTLY of Apache and its web GUI which is generally a good idea when it comes to firewalls. Otherwise, the whole house of cards comes down (as it did) when any single piece fails.

Makes you wonder what they're trying to hide, doesn't it?

Last edited:

darmock

PIAF Developer
Reaction score
A real problem when the inmates run the asylum.... Makes it tough to tell the sane from the insane.

Joke
How do you tell the inmates from the staff in an asylum?

Answer: The inmates get well and go home!

Plus giving everyone the ability to censor everyone else..... sheer chaos. I prefer a benevolent despot system. More gets done and people tend to be better behaved although over the years we have had some epic "discussions" here. Luckily most of the crazy element leaves when they find no one pays attention to their rants..... For a time I stopped participating here as I have a very low tolerance for the crazy types.. Much better now that they built their own asylum.

Tom

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
You've just got to alter your consciousness. Only in La La Land is a non-functioning firewall referred to as Safe Mode...

CTcWiTSWwAA9zvq.jpg

darmock

PIAF Developer
Reaction score
Ward Stop That!!!! I can't stop laughing..... One of my colleagues came over and asked to share the joke..... Being as they have a hard time telling a computer from a spoon I found that the joke is highly specific to Nerds especially NerdUno...... Just could not explain it as there was no common point of reference. Still very funny

I guess if we knew what system type that is well if some of the evil empire were to unleash a DDOS on the system and made it reboot well with the firewall down for 5 minutes... hmmmm way too big a hole. You would think Safe Mode means that everything but a single port is blocked not all ports open..... nope my consciousness is not that flexible

Thanks for the smile

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher

Reaction score
Blame Windows for the term. We're all used to "Safe Mode" meaning up but with very minimal services running. It is a bit strange. I would rather see having a list of internal IPs that can NEVER be firewalled off. That way I'd know that if I ever mess up so bad that nothing reaches the PBX, I can go to a particular server and either HTTP or SSH into my PBX, always.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
I guess if we knew what system type that is well if some of the evil empire were to unleash a DDOS on the system and made it reboot well with the firewall down for 5 minutes... hmmmm way too big a hole. You would think Safe Mode means that everything but a single port is blocked not all ports open..... nope my consciousness is not that flexible

Thanks for the smile

Tom

Yep. So basically, if someone can crash your server, they get a 5-minute free pass to access your server. Sounds safe to me.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Blame Windows for the term. We're all used to "Safe Mode" meaning up but with very minimal services running. It is a bit strange. I would rather see having a list of internal IPs that can NEVER be firewalled off. That way I'd know that if I ever mess up so bad that nothing reaches the PBX, I can go to a particular server and either HTTP or SSH into my PBX, always.

IIRC, Safe Mode on Windows machines never allowed network or Internet access, much less a blank check through the firewall.

randy7376

Defnyddiwr Gweithredol
Reaction score
IIRC, Safe Mode on Windows machines never allowed network or Internet access, much less a blank check through the firewall.

Quite true. You have/had the option in some versions of Windows to select Safe Mode (with networking) if you wanted network access while in safe mode, however.

Asher

Reaction score

Never said it did. But that's how the term is used hre. Loaded but not fully functioning. It is a strange situation.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nikko
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.