FOOD FOR THOUGHT Missing WYSIWYG Editor

geopeterwc

Guru
Reaction score
Something seems really gone goofy (highly technical term, I know) with the PIAF forum lately. For example, I used to be able to preview my intended content for a new posting before actually posting the content to the forum. This permitted editing the content before actually committing the content to the forum. That option seems to be gone (hopefully only temporarily) and the ability to preview any edits to an existing posting appears to also be changed. Is this a permanent change, or is this related to a setting in my profile ... or ... ?

Other things are missing too, i.e., the ability to change type/font settings (bold, underscore, italics, etc.); the "code" tags, and emoticons are missing, too.

I don't know if I've inadvertently changed a profile setting (which option?), or are others experiencing this change in forum behavior as well?

/Pete./

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
There were some security patches. It may be that those features were the cause of the problem. Just don't know. Sorry.

geopeterwc

Guru
Reaction score
There were some security patches. It may be that those features were the cause of the problem. Just don't know. Sorry.

You must not be experiencing the problem, Ward. But I can't believe that I'm the only one (or maybe a handful of others) experiencing the issue. Somebody knows what went off the tracks to cause this.

I don't have a problem with security updates ... that's usually a good thing. But when they interfere with the usability of the service that they're trying to address, then ... that's a problem.

I am unable to insert "code" tags (maybe that can be done manually, I don't know) for example. I'd like to be able to insert/modify text with underscore, bold or italics ... that is no longer an option.

If you don't know, Ward wardmundy, there must be someone at XenForo who has insight. It's just a pain in the @ss to have to work around this bug. And, if only a handful of users are affected ... why ... and how can previously available features of the forum be restored?

Short of creating a new user ... (would a new userID have the same issues?) there must be a setting (hidden?) that if reset will restore functions?

/Pete./

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
This is a test using geopeterwc permissions.

Here comes a code tag:
Code:
This is a code tag.
Here is some more.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Try creating a new userid and send me the name so we can test it. Thanks.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Sounds like the editor has disappeared for your account, but I'm not seeing it when I apply your settings. Try another browser and see what happens.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Just tried resetting some of the permissions for the patches. Log out and back in and see if it helped.

geopeterwc

Guru
Reaction score
Tried again my geopeterwc account ... no change in behavior. Same - no change - with a different browser. I PM'd to you a new userID that I registered to try ... Interesting that you are able to see and use the editing options, but I don't see them. I do use multiple computers from time-to-time ... I'll recheck those that I'm using regularly to be sure that I'm not still logged into the forum anywhere.

Also changed the setting in the profile to use the "Rich Text" editor ... that only resulted in the HTML tags appearing in the posting that's being edited. A little more flexibility, but still none of the usual editing features available.

Thanks for your help on this.

/Pete./

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
I don't mean to downplay the importance of this, but it is a very isolated issue at this point affecting 2 or 3 people out of 10,000+. In terms of priorities, we have a lot on our plate at the moment. If anyone wishes to research this on the XenForo forum, that would be great. But it's probably going to be a while until I can devote much energy to it. I really don't want to do a wholesale upgrade of the forum software to address an issue affecting a handful of folks.

I would also start with the obvious fixes, e.g. deleting your browser cache, deleting browser cookies, etc. Then move on to XenForo from there. If the new account fixes the problem, we can delete the old account, and then we can rename the new account back to your old name. Just keep us posted.

Please post a screenshot of what you see when the editor (used to) open at the bottom of a thread. Usually there is a link in the upper right corner to change default editors. Is that available? Have you tried it? Here's what I see with Rich Text Editor checked in my profile...

CSRKF9nXAAAruwr.jpg

Trimline2

Guru
Reaction score
What I see when replying to your message is Post Reply and More Options; these are the only buttons. I don't have the attach button (took sreen shot for you), but basically it is a single editing window and nothing else. I did try on a W7 machine with IE and FF and my W10 machine with IE and FF as well. Hadn't really thought of it up until this post.

hecatae

resident hecatae
Reaction score
I don't mean to downplay the importance of this, but it is a very isolated issue at this point affecting 2 or 3 people out of 10,000+. In terms of priorities, we have a lot on our plate at the moment. If anyone wishes to research this on the XenForo forum, that would be great. But it's probably going to be a while until I can devote much energy to it. I really don't want to do a wholesale upgrade of the forum software to address an issue affecting a handful of folks. I would also start with the obvious fixes, e.g. deleting your browser cache, deleting browser cookies, etc. Then move on to XenForo from there. If the new account fixes the problem, we can delete the old account, and then we can rename the new account back to your old name. Just keep us posted. Please post a screenshot of what you see when the editor (used to) open at the bottom of a thread. Usually there is a link in the upper right corner to change default editors. Is that available? Have you tried it? Here's what I see with Rich Text Editor checked in my profile...
CSRKF9nXAAAruwr.jpg
wardmundy, the editor no longer appears, imagine I have pressed return for a new line because I'm not going to get one... make that two returns... IT'S ALMOST LIKE RICH TEXT FORMATTING HAS BEEN TURNED OFF ON MY ACCOUNT< imagine two more presses of return Please give manual details of how to attach an image as the editor does not show, maybe I'm only on guest status??? who knows

hecatae

resident hecatae
Reaction score
so 4 out of 5 gurus who have posted on this thread are having trouble with formatting /me presses return tycho please try typing and essay and hitting the return/enter button a few times, /me presses return twice you will notice all your paragraph spacing has gone walkies

hecatae

resident hecatae
Reaction score
I have tried turning the rich text editor on and off in preference under my account, /me presses return twice It's made no difference. /me presses return twice again I can turn this into irc chat if needed until the formatting returns,

hecatae

resident hecatae
Reaction score
What I see when replying to your message is Post Reply and More Options; these are the only buttons. I don't have the attach button (took sreen shot for you), but basically it is a single editing window and nothing else. I did try on a W7 machine with IE and FF and my W10 machine with IE and FF as well. Hadn't really thought of it up until this post.

same as above, Trimline2 and me have same issue

hecatae

resident hecatae
Reaction score
Just tried resetting some of the permissions for the patches. Log out and back in and see if it helped.

also tried this, still no editor, /me presses return twice same issue in firefox and chrome

hecatae

resident hecatae
Reaction score
wardmundy, question, /me presses return twice what browser are you using to view the forum, specifically what version?

hecatae

resident hecatae
Reaction score
PHP:
Here's a solution, I just write every line with the php brackets at each end
PHP:
Look how colourful it is
PHP:
I'm liking this option the most so far

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbradford
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.