Manually editing asterisk files?

Ryushin

Reaction score
I'm coming from an old Asterisk 11.4 installation that has been running strong for the last 9 years (upgraded along the way). I've deployed PIAF5 on Ubuntu 18.04 (I still very much dislike systemd) and I've placed an incoming and outgoing call with it. I'm about to start the process of migrating the text config from the old server to the new server. I see that mysql is running on PIAF5. Does that mean I cannot manually edit the /etc/asterisk files and I have to do everything through the Web UI?

I also saw in another thread that PIAF5 was installed on Debian Jessie. Did this install work with sysvinit or is it systemd dependent? Can I load Devuan Ascii (Stretch) or Devuan Jessie and deploy PBIF5?

We have a bunch of Polycom IP430 phones. Anyone know of a WebUI to manage these? Kind of be a shame to migrate to a WebUI for Asterisk and not have a WebUI for the phone configuration. I'm wanting to move the server to a WebUI for those that are not comfortable with a command line. Personally, having flat text files in /etc/asterisk appeals to my *nix tastes that have been in use since 1990.

Last edited:

jerrm

Guru
Reaction score
"PIAF5" is 3CX based and does not include any flavor of Asterisk.

By "I've deployed PIAF5 on Ubuntu 18.04" I assume you really mean the current Incredible PBX which is Asterisk/FreePBX based.

If you drink the FreePBX GUI koolaid you give up directly editing the core config files - they will be regenerated and overwritten every time you click "Apply" in the GUI. Almost all the FreePBX generated config files have a "*_custom.conf " include, so to add a custom context you would edit extensions_custom.conf, not extensions.conf. Of course you have to be aware of how things interact.

There is no Debian or Devuan install for this Incredible PBX that I know of. The threads referring to Debian are almost certainly for the 3CX PIAF5 (and I would be willing to bet 3CX is not Devuan compatible).

While not particularly a fan of systemd myself - largely change for change sake - fighting against it is probably not worth it in this circumstance and ultimately asking for trouble. @wardmundy tends to use sysinit methods, but I don't know if he is consistent and don't think you could count on it in the future. Again, there aren't any Debian (or Devuan) IPBX install scripts anyway.

Ryushin

Reaction score
"PIAF5" is 3CX based and does not include any flavor of Asterisk.

By "I've deployed PIAF5 on Ubuntu 18.04" I assume you really mean the current Incredible PBX which is Asterisk/FreePBX based.

If you drink the FreePBX GUI koolaid you give up directly editing the core config files - they will be regenerated and overwritten every time you click "Apply" in the GUI. Almost all the FreePBX generated config files have a "*_custom.conf " include, so to add a custom context you would edit extensions_custom.conf, not extensions.conf. Of course you have to be aware of how things interact.

There is no Debian or Devuan install for this Incredible PBX that I know of. The threads referring to Debian are almost certainly for the 3CX PIAF5 (and I would be willing to bet 3CX is not Devuan compatible).

While not particularly a fan of systemd myself - largely change for change sake - fighting against it is probably not worth it in this circumstance and ultimately asking for trouble. @wardmundy tends to use sysinit methods, but I don't know if he is consistent and don't think you could count on it in the future. Again, there aren't any Debian (or Devuan) IPBX install scripts anyway.

Yes, I guess I put this in the wrong thread. I've been a bit confused thinking PIA5 is the same as Incredible PBX. Can this be thread be moved to the correct forum?

Well, here is hoping wardmundy will port Incredible PBX to Debian or Devuan in the future.

So I can manually edit extensions_custom.conf. But can I also assume those changes won't show up in the FreePBX GUI?

I'm still getting my head around the FreePBX GUI. In my eyes, editing the text files was easier. :)

jerrm

Guru
Reaction score
So I can manually edit extensions_custom.conf. But can I also assume those changes won't show up in the FreePBX GUI?
Correct, but FreePBX does have enough hooks under "Misc Destinations," "Custom Extensions," etc to tie things together. Look at Ward's extensions_custom.conf and compare to those entries in the GUI.
I'm still getting my head around the FreePBX GUI. In my eyes, editing the text files was easier. :)
Sometimes it seems so, but my advice if you make the switch, then as much as possible try to fully make the switch. That may mean changing some things to the "FreePBX way," but longer term is probably more manageable than some hybrid approach.

Ryushin

Reaction score
I guess I'll try and do things the FreePBX way.

Is there some tool to change the root mysql password from passw0rd to something more secure? Is there anything that will break if I manually change all instances of passw0rd in /etc/asterisk/* and /root/*? The update-passwords script should have changed this. Or at least made some random password for mysql.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bellabos
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.