TUTORIAL Making AvantFax Cover Page

lits_tech

Reaction score
After struggling with making a usable cover page for Avantfax, I finally figured out how to customize the cover page. To assist others, here is a step by step guide of how to make a custom cover page. Much of the information, I got from this post: http://www.pbxinaflash.com/forum/showpost.php?p=23207&postcount=112 (thanks phinphan for compiling this information), but I had to do additional steps to make the cover page work.
1. First you want to download and install a copy of Freehand from Adobe: http://www.adobe.com/products/freehand/
2. Create a new file and add an logo to the top of the page or use the text tool and using a large font write the company name. (This is just a suggestion, you can design it however you want)
3. Then you want to make another text box under the logo. In this text box you want to use put in the values that you want to show up on your cover sheet. Use this as a reference: http://www.avantfax.com/faxcover.php. This is an example of what I used:
faxcover1.jpg

4. Remember that font does matter. If the font you use is not in the printer’s drivers, then you might encounter an error. I used Arial Unicode MS because phinphan said it worked for him.
5. Next you want create a line at the very bottom of your page that goes completely from the left to the right. Use font color white so it does not show up. If you do not create this line, the formatting of the cover page will come out skewed.
6. When you are done, go to File > Export. Name the file and select Encapsulated Post Script. Click on the Setup button and select Include Fonts in EPS and Include Freehand Document, and select “RGB” for Covert Colors to. Save that file to your desktop for now.
7. Now go to your desktop and open up that file in notepad. Scroll to near the bottom of the file. We need to manually make some changes within here for all the variable values to work correctly. For some reason, when it is exported out, it severs some of the variable tags. Search for tags that are split apart like this:
faxcover2.jpg

It should look like this after you make the change:

faxcover3.jpg

8. Go through and correct all the variable tags that have been split. After you have done that, save that file. (They are all near the bottom, but if you think you might have missed one, then you can just search that file for “XXXX” so you don’t miss any of the variable tags.
9. Now WinSCP into the PiaF server and map to /var/www/html/avantfax/images and put that filename.EPS file into that directory.
10. Now putty into the PiaF server and log in as root. Go to /var/www/html/avantfax/images and type:
mv filename.EPS filename.ps
11. Then go into /var/www/html/avantfax/includes. Go into the file called local_config.php. In the file look for $COVERPAGE_FILE = 'cover.ps'; and change ‘cover.ps’ to the ps file that you have created.
12. Now go send a fax and see if your cover page worked. If it didn’t work, leave a message and I’ll see if I can help out.

rossiv

Guru
Reaction score
Hi!
I made a coversheet successfully, but not successfully at the same time. It was recognized and sent - appeared OK, but none of the XXXX-to, etc. showed up. The odd thing is, though, is that it showed up exactly like the template except that it removed the XXX-.
Image is here. What did I do wrong?
I made the template using Freehand on a Mac. I used the text tool for everything - was I not supposed to?
First image is what the fax came out, second is template.

screenshot20100814at137.png
screenshot20100814at139.png

Thanks!
Ross

phinphan

Reaction score
Thanks for the update on what I did some time ago. I have had a bear of a time getting the coverpages to work when I try to create a new one.

As an aside, I also upgraded my Avantfax to the newer version which allows you to select from multiple coverpages. But since I can't design a new coverpage, I am out of luck on using the new feature.

I will give it a try again and see what I can do.

Speedy2k

Reaction score
Just to let you know that if you update Avantfax, it support HTML cover page, it is way easier to make!!

phinphan

Reaction score
Speedy2k - do you have a sample and a suggestion for what program to use? My version does support html.

Speedy2k

Reaction score
Speedy2k - do you have a sample and a suggestion for what program to use? My version does support html.

Look at the sample HTLM file included in the
/var/www/html/avantfax/images/coverpage.html

and just do the modification you need with a text editor or any HTML editor should do!

phinphan

Reaction score
I used the tips in the original post in this thread to correct some of the problems with my .ps files and now they work. Thanks to the OP for making me fix the nagging problem. Now I can use multiple fax cover sheets and make new ones.

rossiv

Guru
Reaction score
Look at the sample HTLM file included in the

and just do the modification you need with a text editor or any HTML editor should do!
Hi Speedy2k,

I found the HTML file, but that is not what is being used for my faxes. How do I tell it to use the HTML as opposed to the PS?
Thanks!

Edit:
I have Avantfax 3.1.6 - What do you have?
Edit again:
I upgraded to 3.3.2 - expoloring...
YAY! HTML Cover Pages! I love html..

phinphan

Reaction score
Speedy2k - how did you install html2ps? I can't figure out the command.

phinphan

Reaction score
Thanks. I figured it out and installed it using yum install html2ps and it worked fine. My html skills are not up to par but I got it working. I also figured out how to edit the ps files to change the text to create different coverpages from my original cover page.

Eliad

Reaction score
After a long of digging I found out how to use html coverpage instead of editing the ps file since finding a ps editor is hard nowadays.

I have AvantFax 3.3.5 installed on Incredible PBX and IncredibleFAX 13. The install is on a Centos 6.9.

My install does not include html2ps. you have to install it using
yum install html2ps
then find out where html2ps is located. for me it is
/usr/bin/html2ps

then open and edit
nano /var/www/html/avantfax/includes/local_config.php
find $COVERPAGE_FILE and change cover.ps to coverpage.html
find $HTML2PS and correct the path if necessary to the path where your html2ps is

to change the date format to US search and find
FAXCOVER_DATE_FORMAT

from this moment you can open an editor and make your desired html modifications in

I hope this helps.

Last edited:

AndyInNYC

Reaction score
I think I've managed to succeed using the demo version of Adobe Dreamweaver CC 2018 while starting with my Word file-saved-as-html.

I've used a graphic (and changed the location when moving to my PBX) and it all seems to work. 'FAX' now appears on the page in a 'font' larger than the max html will use.

My system has 3.3.3 installed.

The one think I have noticed is that I don't seem to be able to 'name' my coverpage anything other than coverpage.html or cover.ps; what I'd like is to be able to use any name in the local_config.php file. This doesn't seem to work for me - Avantfax ignores what is in the php file and uses the default html or ps file instead.

Anyone else have this problem, or is it something I've done?

Andrew

RoboLord

Reaction score
I'm experiencing a major error with the fax cover sheet on a brand new install of the IncrediblePBX ISO. I've installed and reinstalled the ISO several times but no matter what I do, I keep getting these errors when trying to send a fax with a cover page:

I get this if I attach a PDF and add cover page:

Problem sending the fax.
sendfax: Error creating cover sheet; command was "/var/www/html/avantfax/includes/faxcover.php -C '/var/www/html/avantfax/images/cover-letter.ps' -f 'info' -n '9712751480' -r 'Test' -s 'default' -t 'Test' -M '[email protected]' -p '4'"; exit status ff00

and this if I just try the cover letter:

Problem sending the fax.
sendfax: /var/www/html/avantfax/tmp/afb078cb.ps: Empty file

Sending a PDF with no cover page goes through normally.
This is with a brand new vanilla install. Here are the steps I've taken:

Install the ISO as a VM on Proxmox
reboot
/root/admin-pw-change
/root/timezone-setup
htpasswd /etc/pbx/wwwpasswd admin
./incrediblefax13.sh
reboot
reset password
Attempt to send fax

Am I missing something obvious? I recently had this working fine with an exact same install on the same hardware with the same ISO. I can't figure out what's causing it to break on a fresh install. How can I test to see what's wrong with the system?

I'm not opposed to generating a HTML cover page, and have followed the directions in the above posts to test it, however, the quality is severely lacking compared to the default PS version. I think it has to do with the dithering used in Hylafax, all the text comes out gray and the logo is severely garbled.

Eliad

Reaction score
it is weird indeed. Same happened to me today with a recent ISO install. I am trying to see if a Centos 6.9 does the same. I use Proxmox VM too.

Eliad

Reaction score
check and see if /etc/rc.d/rc.local look like this. fwconsole start should be after iptables. It happened to me before the install to change the order

#!/bin/sh
#
# This script will be executed *after* all the other init scripts.
# You can put your own initialization stuff in here if you don't
# want to do the full Sys V style init stuff.
touch /var/lock/subsys/local
sleep 5
/root/sig-fix
sleep 5
/usr/local/sbin/ifwconsole start
sleep 5
/usr/local/sbin/iptables-restart
sleep 10
$(which faxgetty) -D ttyIAX0
$(which faxgetty) -D ttyIAX1
$(which faxgetty) -D ttyIAX2
$(which faxgetty) -D ttyIAX3
exit 0

Last edited:

Eliad

Reaction score
I tried a fresh install on Centos 6.9 VM. Bare Avantfax works with no modification prior to GVSIP NAF patch. After I apply the GVSIP NAF patch the fax does not send nor receive faxes. The file I just listed to check is not changed. My knowledge is limited in this field. Is it possible the Asterisk updates made by the GVSIP NAF to break AvantFax install?

RoboLord

Reaction score
check and see if /etc/rc.d/rc.local look like this. fwconsole start should be after iptables. It happened to me before the install to change the order

#!/bin/sh
#
# This script will be executed *after* all the other init scripts.
# You can put your own initialization stuff in here if you don't
# want to do the full Sys V style init stuff.
touch /var/lock/subsys/local
sleep 5
/root/sig-fix
sleep 5
/usr/local/sbin/iptables-restart
sleep 5
/usr/local/sbin/fwconsole start
sleep 10
$(which faxgetty) -D ttyIAX0
$(which faxgetty) -D ttyIAX1
$(which faxgetty) -D ttyIAX2
$(which faxgetty) -D ttyIAX3
exit 0

Yes, mine looks exactly like that. This is also way over my head. Please let me know if you find a solution!

Eliad

Reaction score
i think I found the problem but I have no idea how to fix it. The installation of html2ps breaks something in the Avantfax. I tried sending before and after install of html2ps. It works before but after html2ps i get the error of the coverpage error

RoboLord

Reaction score
Here's what's weird for me. I initially had this working on my first proxmox vm. I also followed this tutorial to try the HTML cover (installed html2ps) and that's when it broke for me as well. Now, I can't get it to work on any new VMs, almost as though html2ps is somehow carrying over into my other VMs. I am new to VMs, but I don't understand how that could be possible. It's driving me nuts that I can't get back to a standard working configuration. Any ideas why this is happening?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nikko
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.