FOOD FOR THOUGHT Looking for Large Hosted PIAF Provider...

w1ve

Guru
Reaction score
160 Extensions, 100+ DIDs, typical day has peak of 100 simultaneous calls, 2min average call, 150K mins per month...

Client prefers hosted, I prefer PIAF. Client has 50/50Mb dedicated connection for voice.

Most of the hosted providers I know cater to smaller instances.

Anybody have any recommendations? Otherwise I'll try and convince them to go on prem.

phoneguy

Guru
Reaction score
FreePBXhosting.com offeres hosted dedicated servers just for this and we have tons of users on the dedicated server side. I would never move that many calls into a shared VPS server type setup.

w1ve

Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for your input, Tony.

I am going to go with a VMWare host. Gigs of BW, and large machine. We will test from small to large.
I am not worried.

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
160 extensions, 100 DID's, and 100 concurrent calls. I'll bet you they never see 50 concurrent (unless this is a callshop). Its incredible how people overestimate their usage.

phoneguy

Guru
Reaction score
Ok well I know the issues of virtualization with 100 concurrent calls. Please take my advice and do not do it. Put it on dedicated hardware PLEASE.

DaveDog

Reaction score
I'd love to keep this going...

My FreePBX hosted virtualized servers all seem to run at about 75% app memory utilization, under 10% swap utilization, and .1% CPU load average.

approx 70 endpoints, but probably never more than 20 concurrent conversations. At what point do we hit the wall?

It also seems I've been led to believe that Asterisk 12 will scale better.

billsimon

Reaction score
Ok well I know the issues of virtualization with 100 concurrent calls. Please take my advice and do not do it. Put it on dedicated hardware PLEASE.

I'd like to hear more about the issues with the goal of trying to solve them. Cisco is virtualizing their enterprise VoIP clusters on VMware as of a couple years ago. Granted, they have very strict requirements about utilization of the overall resource (e.g., putting your Call Manager on the same host as a virtualized Oracle database is not permitted). Anyway, virtualization has gotten so good and so common that I think it's time we can work out how to overcome whatever problems are waiting in the wings on a virtualized Asterisk.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leocipriano
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.