1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FOOD FOR THOUGHT Local installs vs cloud installs

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Alex Hackney, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Alex Hackney

Alex Hackney
    Expand Collapse

I've been installing these systems for clients for a couple of years and I've been seeing more people talk about using it in the cloud. How are people setting this up? I have my own pbx running on digital ocean but I have no sip phones on it yet. I basically have it running the software and rerouting inbound calls to my cell phone. I have the instance firewalled off from all incoming traffic and I allow specific connections to asterisk from my provider only. The only exception is for the web interface which I have open to only my static ip.

How would I get my phones at an office tied in to this system? A VPN? Or just like I'm doing now with firewall rules blocking all sip traffic but from my ip? What other safe guards should I implement?

I like the idea of moving the pbx server to the cloud so that if the internet goes down at the location then I can route failover calls to their cell phones or wherever. What do you do?

2. briankelly63

briankelly63
    Expand Collapse
    Guru

I'm sure a lot of people will chime in but I only think that makes sense for business architectures that are not centrally located. Support issues even when the equipment is onsite can crop up but I don't think it makes any sense to have a bunch of sip phones talking to a distant server. There are two many points of failure, QOS issues and not as easy to provide a backup solution for failure especially trunk failure. Security IS an issue. I have seen people implement a VPN to that things are secure especially voice.
    If the internet goes down you should be able to do a re-route via the trunk providers dashboard. Cloud solutions also lack a robust hardware firewall solution like Pfsense or hardware.
    In a local implementation you can also do a POTS backup solution easily.