Nerd Uno
Reaction score
With a little luck...

Coming soon to a theater near you:

BqkkzUuCIAEGmeo.jpg:large

Jay Deal

Phhhhhhhhttttttt :)
Reaction score
What i want to know, when are you guys going to port this to Windows? Seems like youll soon have everything else covered.

billsimon

Reaction score
My question is what's so dreamy about Ubuntu? Nothing wrong with it; I'm just curious what's behind this. Like Jay said, you've got Linux covered. How about a Solaris (x86) build? Then we could run large, scalable PIAF instances on Joyent Cloud's zones (natively).

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
billsimon: Solaris would be great, too. You do know you already can run PIAF and Incredible PBX VirtualBox images on Solaris. :boat:

jroper

Guru
Reaction score
Hi

My question is what's so dreamy about Ubuntu?

Having used both operating systems extensively, my choice would be Ubuntu over CentOS, and I'm starting to prefer Debian over Ubuntu. The reasons for preferring Ubuntu are as follows:-
  1. You can upgrade between major versions, e.g. 10.04LTS - > 12.04 > 14.04 and so on. You cannot go from CentOS 4 to 5 to 6 without reformatting. For an OS which is being used in a switch or PBX environment, where we expect them to last many years, having to reformat and re-install in order to keep up to date with security updates is not ideal.
  2. The size of the repository of Ubuntu is far larger than CentOS, so installing something like phpMyAdmin is as simple as apt-get install phpmyadmin. In CentOS, you'd have to do this from source, and it's likely you would have to upgrade PHP as well.
  3. Packages tend to be newer in Ubuntu, not so new that they are bleeding edge, more leading edge.
I'm beginning to work more with Debian, which has all the above advantages and some more advantages over Ubuntu, in that their upgrade / update policy is more conservative leading to greater stability, which again is an advantage for a switch / PBX system.
Joe

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Thanks, jroper. Debian is next. Already using a derivative on the Raspberry Pi and BeagleBone Black platforms. :)

Jay Deal

Phhhhhhhhttttttt :)
Reaction score
This is great news as I have been trying to create a does all server that incorporates PBXIAF, NAS, Plex, a VPN, Squeezebox and at the same time having a usable desktop with a GNOME UI that I can VNC to. I have gotten fairly far with Centos on several loads but in each instance I have ended it up FUBARING the OS at some point by trying to add software which cannot be added directly by wget or yum. Trying to determine the right repositories to make yumming or wgetting is another problem I have yet to master. I wish I had better Linux skills but I am hoping that porting PBXIAF to Ubuntu and Debian will provide an easier means to create the jack of all trades server I am would like to set up. Here's wishing you guys continued success in this regard.

atsak

Guru
Reaction score
I'm seconding Debian as well; I am hardly a Linux admin but the few times I've used that it felt "right" for stability and features. Ubuntu is super easy to use though, and might actually be just as suitable for PBX use as anything else.

Hometech

Reaction score
GREAT!! I could put this on my Odroid x2 1.7 Quad Arm Processor! Even thought I am currently running Asterisk 11.5 and Freepbx 2.11 and FOP2 2.27 on it now
it sure would be GREAT to have PBXIAF just for all the updates and fantastic addons that are available from Wards World.
Let us know when your wanting to test it out.
Thanks

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Thanks to lzaf and a house call this morning, TTS and Flite now are working with Ubuntu 14. That was the last remaining roadblock to porting Incredible PBX 11 over. HOORAY! :boat:

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
ATTN Pioneers: Start Your Engines!

UBUNTU+C.bmp

We're getting there. First Baker's Dozen apps for Asterisk are up and running with Ubuntu 14!

:party::party::party:

Bq2p5bvIUAAy1YF.jpg:large
Text-to-Speech with Flite and GoogleTTS

Yahoo News!

Weather Reports by Zip Code

SMS Messaging with gvoice

Telephone Reminders

Today in History

phpMyAdmin

NeoRouter VPN

PPTP VPN

Google Voice

IPtables WhiteList

Fail2Ban

Time of Day

more to come...

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Ready for the pioneers...

WARNING: There is no error-checking yet for correct Ubuntu version. Don't cheat or the install will fail.

pioneer.gif

Step #1: Install Ubuntu 14.04 from mini ISO and choose Basic Ubuntu Server or pick your favorite Cloud Provider and choose an Ubuntu 14.04 platform (32-bit or 64-bit works fine).
Code:
UBUNTU mini.iso install:
Choose language
Choose timezone
Detect keyboard <Yes>
Hostname: incrediblepbx <continue>
Choose mirror for downloads
Confirm archive mirror
Leave proxy blank unless you need it <continue>
** couple minutes of whirring as initial components are loaded **
New user name: incredible <continue>
Account username: incredible <continue>
Account password: makeitsecure <Continue>
Encrypt home directory <No>
Confirm time zone <Yes>
Partition disks: Guided - use entire disk and set up LVM
Confirm disk to partition
Write changes to disks and configure LVM <Yes>
Whole volume? <Continue>
Write changes to disks <Yes>  <-- last chance to preserve your disk drive!
** about 15 minutes of whirring during base system install ** <no touchy anything>
** another 5 minutes of whirring during base software install ** <no touchy anything>
Upgrades? Install security updates automatically
** another 5 minutes of whirring during more software installs ** <no touchy anything>
Software selection: *Basic Ubuntu server (only!)
** another couple minutes of whirring during software installs ** <no touchy anything>
Grub boot loader: <Yes>
UTC for system clock: <No>
Installation complete: <Continue> after removing installation media
** on VirtualBox, PowerOff after reboot and remove [-] mini.iso from Storage Tree & reboot
login as user: incredible
sudo passwd
** enter incredible password and then create root user password **
su root
** enter root password **
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade -y
apt-get install ssh -y
sed -i 's|without-password|yes|' /etc/ssh/sshd_config
sed -i 's|yes"|without-password"|' /etc/ssh/sshd_config
ifconfig
reboot
** login via SSH to continue **

Step #2: Ubuntu disables the root account by default. If you're building your own server from the ISO, then you'll need to set up a (very secure) root password after logging in with the account you created during the install.

Code:
sudo passwd
# enter your user acct password and then set up new root password
su root

Step #3: On all platforms, issue the following commands:

Code:
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade -y
apt-get install ssh -y
sed -i 's|without-password|yes|' /etc/ssh/sshd_config
sed -i 's|yes"|without-password"|' /etc/ssh/sshd_config
ifconfig
# write down the IP address to access your server via SSH
reboot

Step #4: Log into your new server as root via SSH.

Step #5: Download and run the Incredible PBX installer. After agreeing to license, go have some coffee. The installer will run unattended for about 30 minutes and fill in the blanks automatically. Log out and back in once the install completes and you see "Have a nice day!"

Code:
cd /root
wget http://incrediblepbx.com/incrediblepbx11.4.ubuntu14
chmod +x incredible*
./incredible*

Step #6: This initial alpha build uses FreePBX authentication rather than Apache. The default username:password is admin:admin. Change it immediately within FreePBX: admin -> administrators. You are well advised to always run your system behind a hardware-based firewall with no Internet port exposure. But we do lock things down with IPtables anyway.

Step #7 (now included in base install) : If you're running your server behind a hardware-based firewall, your public IP address has not been added to the default IPtables setup. To add it, edit: /etc/iptables/rules.v4. Toward the bottom of the file and just above the line that reads "-A fail2ban-APACHE -j RETURN", add a new entry that looks like this using your server's public IP address or FQDN instead of 8.8.8.8:

Code:
-A INPUT -s 8.8.8.8 -j ACCEPT
Then restart IPtables:
Code:
/etc/init.d/iptables-persistent restart

Step #8: This has now been fixed, but there was a wrinkle with regard to /etc/hosts on local installs before 5:15 pm EDT today that I wasn't smart enough to anticipate. The problem is that, as /etc/hosts is configured with ip4 and ip6 entries, FreePBX won't start up in a browser with iptables and ip6tables enabled. The reason is because we had blocked all ip6 incoming traffic in /etc/iptables/rules.v6. Here's the fix for those who have already installed this if FreePBX won't come up in your browser. I have now fixed the installer for future pioneers. :)

Code:
sed -i '/OUTPUT ACCEPT/a -A INPUT -s ::1 -j ACCEPT' /etc/iptables/rules.v6
/etc/init.d/iptables-persistent restart

READ THIS ENTIRE THREAD FOR LATE-BREAKING CHANGES/ENHANCEMENTS/ADD-ONS

tm1000

Schmoozecom INC/FreePBX
Reaction score
I would remove the line
Code:
--no-create-home

When you create the new user.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
jeff.h: PostFix shouldn't be in there. Just do the base Ubuntu install and only check Basic Ubuntu Server. We add SendMail so that may be the problem.

Bob Helbush

Reaction score
jeff.h: PostFix shouldn't be in there. Just do the base Ubuntu install and only check Basic Ubuntu Server. We add SendMail so that may be the problem.

I got that too. I didn't select it. Maybe it was selected by default? Should I start over? I hit ^C at the PostFix screen.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
I got that too. I didn't select it. Maybe it was selected by default? Should I start over? I hit ^C at the PostFix screen.

Sorry about that. Another "improvement" bites us in the butt. Try again. Should be fine now, but please start anew.

Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.