TUTORIAL Knock 3 Times: knockd

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
Do I need to forward any other ports from the FIOS router/my router to the PBX to get external phones to register?

I'm getting a 'Registration Timeout(408)' as my Zoiper error message. In asterisk -vvvvvr, I don't see any activity of the phone trying to register.

My SIP Settings are:

NAT = Yes
IP config is Dynamic
Dynamic Host is my DDNS address
local networks are my 192.168.40.0 and 10.0.0

Any other info needed?

Andrew

To register remote phones, UDP 5060-5061 (SIP and PJSIP) and UDP 10000-20000 (RTP) need a full call path from the Internet to your PBX including all routers in between.

AndyInNYC

Reaction score
Yeah, all those ports are forwarded. I think FIOS messes with SIP as part of their Triple Play stuff.

I set up an IAX extension and it connected right away.

I’d like to only allow SIP/IAX access in the knock. I’ll need to look up some resources to figure it out.

I may put this on my router to gain access there as well; I have a vpn, but may end up somewhere without my laptop.

Thanks for the tool and the help.

Andrew

AndyInNYC

Reaction score
Well, I could pay $15/month to RentPBX - I think they have proven to have a stable business model. Or I could go with a fly by night/charging less than my electricity cost company that is unsustainable.

Given that I have the equipment, want to use analog phones already wired into the house and like to tinker - why pay more money?

I love PIAF and it works quite well for me on a PC in the basement.

Now, if only I could get my Avantfax to email by DID <g>.

Andrew

MGD4me

Guru
Reaction score
Andy... if this helps

I also use Zoiper, but in IAX2 mode. My knockd.conf file has statements:

start_command = /sbin/iptables -A INPUT -s %IP% -p udp --dport 4569 -j ACCEPT

And, after the timeout value: stop_command = /sbin/iptables -D INPUT -s %IP% -p udp --dport 4569 -j ACCEPT

Also, my router is configured to forward IAX2 port 4569 to the PBX address. I have the port knocker app delay on the phone set to 100ms, which seems to get through most public WiFi networks.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abuhyder
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.