TIPS ITSP for DID

tine

Reaction score
Hi All,

I recently setup a PIAF system and it has been working great. I now want to add a Trunk that uses VOIP. I am currently using Vonage through an analog card. I would like to get rid of both, and go fully SIP.

I have been reading about DID and my understanding is that you need a DID line to be able to directly connect to any extension on the PBX without an operator intervention. Am I right? Can I get a DID number with a residential type of service, Looking for a provider that has a similar coverage area and call quality as Vonage, but cheaper and can provide a DID number. Is that possible?

atsak

Guru
Reaction score
Yes, look in the providers section here for some ideas. Anveo, DIDLogic, Voip.ms, Flowroute, Vitelity, the options are endless. DID is just direct inward dial, or a fancy way of saying a phone number. You can port your existing number from Vonage to one of those carriers. Anveo Direct isn't bad because you get 400 incoming minutes free per day. Anyway lots of options.

tine

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I will do the the comparison. Can you get a DID for residential service or it does not matter?

rossiv

Guru
Reaction score
Some providers have plans that are specifically for residential customers - take VoIP.ms for example. They have (if I recall correctly) a two-channel 2000 minute free inbound and $0.01/minute outbound plan that is for residential only. They have a $0.01/min inbound/outbound for everyone else. The plan itself is either $4.95, $6.95 or something else based on the DID/rate center (location)

atsak

Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I will do the the comparison. Can you get a DID for residential service or it does not matter?

It doesn't really matter but like rossiv said there's some providers out there that have special residential bundles which include some minutes. This can be good value if you're a heavy user. In our house, though, for example, I think the usage charge for inbound every month is something like 300 minutes or $3.00, plus $1.00 for the number. So it all depends on your calling profile.

tine

Reaction score
Thanks again for the responses. Please excuse my ignorance and maybe noob questions. With a 2 channel service, you can accept 2 simultaneous incoming calls, place 2 simultaneous outgoing calls or 1 incoming and 1 outgoing call? If that is the case, that is like having two different line/numbers. Pls advise.

rossiv

Guru
Reaction score
Any combination really. You could have one in and one out or two in or two out. Two of any kind.

tine

Reaction score
Is that something you setup when you subscribe to a service or it is done automatically when you use the service?

rossiv

Guru
Reaction score
You would choose the plan when you purchase the number. Some providers will let you change it later.

Mango

www.toao.net
Reaction score
With a 2 channel service, you can accept 2 simultaneous incoming calls

In the case of VoIP.ms, your first guess was correct. For example, you can receive one call, and then receive a second call via call waiting or voicemail. A third call at the same time would be met with a busy signal. As for outbound calls, you pay per minute so members of your household can make (theoretically) as many simultaneous calls as you want.

Note that this policy differs from provider to provider.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pbxnewguy
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.