FOOD FOR THOUGHT Issue with CentOS 6.9 (64-bit) preparation for IncrediblePBX install

Brian Little

Reaction score
I've run into an issue trying to do the CentOS 6.9 (64-bit) for Incredible PBX installation. I'm able to complete the minimal install of CentOS 6.9 (64-bit) but am getting hung up on the preparation for the IncrediblePBX install. I issue the following commands per the instructions

setenforce 0
yum -y install net-tools nano wget tar
yum -y upgrade --skip-broken
# decipher your server's IP address
ifconfig
# patch grub and ignore errors if your server doesn't use it
sed -i 's|quiet|quiet net.ifnames=0 biosdevdame=0|' /etc/default/grub

When I issue this last command, I receive the error message:

sed: can't read /etc/default/grub: No such file or directory

When I look for /etc/default/grub I realize there is not such file but there is a /etc/grub.conf with a duplicate version of itself in /boot/grub/grub.conf. Inspecting there two duplicate file shows there is the word quiet. Could this be the file that needs to be changed? But then what about the next command which is

grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

Anybody know anything about this? Someone else had a similar issue a couple of years ago trying to install PBXinaFlash3 (https://pbxinaflash.com/community/threads/new-install.17131/#post-110610) and was told by Ward "Ignore the grub errors. Those commands are only necessary on certain systems, and they are harmless on the rest." (https://pbxinaflash.com/community/threads/which-piaf-is-the-latest.16975/#post-110611). Could this be the case here?

BTW, is it still the case to stick with CentOS 6 rather than CentOS 7 for stability/safety?

Thanks.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
@Brian Have you tried using the Incredible PBX ISO? It may be that some incompatibility has been introduced in CentOS 6.9. Haven't had a chance to test it yet. Developers are always improving things, you know. :death:

Brian Little

Reaction score
I did what you suggested and installed IncrediblePBX ISO (full enchilada) on a different old machine I have. This time after the install and adding/changing passwords etc but before pressing enter and doing a reboot, I logged into the gui and did not see any error message and when I looked at the freepbx log I did not see any FATAL error messages either. However, when I did press enter on the console to reboot, when I logged back into the gui I did see the same retrieve_conf error message and the same freepbx.log FATAL errors that I described here with the centos 6.9 install. Then, as I was advised last time, I did a small configuration in the gui (an extension) and did an apply-config and when I looked at the System Overview again, the error message was gone and the freepbx.log file did not contain the FATAL error messages for this reload time frame. Any idea what this means or what is causing it? I can do some configuration, on and off, today and I'll let you know the results. BTW, asterisk was running both before and after the reboot.

Brian Little

Reaction score
I was able to do some configuration to the CentOS 6.9 IncrediblePBX installing some trunks and extensions. I was able to register trunks and call into an extensions voicemail. I wasn't able to get an aastra phone configured using the endpoint manager but I think that's a separate issue. In any case I wasn't able to test calling out.

I also installed IncrediblePBX ISO (lean and mean) on yet another old machine I have and this looked to be a clean install both as far as the gui and freepbx.log.

Brian Little

Reaction score
I found out my issues with getting my phones working is that the default chan_sip uses port 5061 and not 5060. The OSS endpoint manager assumes 5060. This brings up a question, other than not having to manually change the config files built by the OSS endpoint manager, is there any other advantage (or drawback) to using chan_pjsip? Since the default is still chan_sip should I just leave well enough alone or is there a reason to change to chan_pjsip?

kyle95wm

Phone Genius Owner
Reaction score
Every install I've done, that's one of the first things I change. During testing, PJSIP works fine.

Brian Little

Reaction score
Have you or would you use it in a SOHO environment? Is there any noticeable advantage to it?

kyle95wm

Phone Genius Owner
Reaction score
I can't say for certain since SIP isn't broken. In a typical install I'd do the following:

-build IPBX 13-12.2 on whatever platform (this excludes the RPi)
- Install all needed updates
- Under NAT settings, auto-detect your external IP and internal LANs
- Then go to Chan SIP. Under the IP config, make sure Public is ticked and NAT is set to Yes
- Scroll down to Advanced General Settings and change the bind port from 5061 to 5060
- Go under Chan PJSIP and change the bind port to something like 5061

Okay now:

- go under advanced settings]
- search the page for "driver" and you'll find an option that's set to both. If it is, set it to "chan_sip".

Apply changes, reboot your box and start by creating your SIP extensions. You could try changing the channel driver for your existing PJSIP endpoints, but creating an extension from scratch is always better in my opinion.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: Here's a video to help

Brian Little

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I think sticking with chan_sip but changing the binding port is the way to go. Again thanks.

Brian Little

Reaction score
I know everyone's been waiting with baited breath to find out if I've been successful in building a new pbx or not. Well, I'm here to tell you I was able to build myself a new pbx. I used the Incredible PBX 13.2 ISO (Incredible PBX Full Enchilada (All Apps) with 32-bit Scientific Linux 6.7). I used Kyle's advice and used chan_sip and changed the bind port to 5060.

The next big problem I ran into was that I did an initial build on a different ip subnet than I intended to ultimately install the pbx and was unable to change the /etc/resolv.conf file to the new subnet. I found solutions both on this forum and elsewhere on the internet but was not able to change the /etc/resolv.conf file even using 'su - root' access. Eventually I gave up and did a new install on the subnet I intended to use.

After that there was only one problem I ran into and that was my inbound vitelity register server is inbound18.vitelity.net (translating to 64.2.142.116) and is not one of the Trusted Providers in /etc/sysconfig/iptables so I added the FQDN to my iptable. Can I request that this be added for future users?

I'd like to thank kyle95wm, Ward and ostridge for taking the time to reply to my issues.

kyle95wm

Phone Genius Owner
Reaction score
No problem. In all honesty I think I should be awarded Guru status since I've helped so many people.

ostridge

Guru
Reaction score
I think I should be awarded Guru status since

Oh? I don't really know what a Guru is; never claimed to have anyexpertise (so you can't sue). I'm not sure I have any 'status' whatever that is?
Its a mystery how the so called status is augmented; and you all probably know more than me anyway.

Alex Hackney

Reaction score
I havent been able to get this to work at all.

Tried following 2 of the centos install guides with 6.9 and 7 and havent gotten either to work. I feel like its a problem with fail2ban because it constantly errors out. When I try to connect to the pbx at DO I get timed out on this install.

I have a previous install at DO with 6.8 and it works fine. Can connect to it and everything. I realize that this version is going away and that sucks but I hate moving to a new one lol.

wardmundy

Nerd Uno
Reaction score
You can use the Incredible PBX 13 ISO at Vultr for half the D.O. cost. Fail2Ban is kernel-dependent so perhaps there's an incompatibility there.

Alex Hackney

Reaction score
I'll try it out. Have no idea what Vultr is. I'll figure it out though. I have like 15 droplets at DO and like their interface but I'm open to trying something new as long as it's not my beloved ipbx3. :)

krzykat

Telecom Strategist
Reaction score
I'll try it out. Have no idea what Vultr is. I'll figure it out though. I have like 15 droplets at DO and like their interface but I'm open to trying something new as long as it's not my beloved ipbx3. :)

I've moved many instances from DO to Vultr. Try it out. 1 Gig RAM, 25 Gig HD, for the same price as DO with half the specs. Think @wardmundy has a referral code too to give you some free instances

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mark-curtis
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.