ISOLINUX fails

orenyny

Reaction score
Hi,
I was able to install the ISO file on a VMWare workstation as instructed. But I also wanted to install it on a physical machine.
The problem is that ISOLINUX exits with error message: Disk error 80, AX = 4288, drive 9f.
This error message comes everytime I am trying to use a CD that uses ISOLINUX. I tried it with 3 different computers and many differnet distributions. The only common thing is the CD-ROM drive (needless to say that the CD ROM drive does work in other circumstances). Do I just need to get a new CD drive, or is there anything else I can do ?
Thanks.

jroper

Guru
Reaction score
Hi

I'd guess that you had an issue with the burning of the CD.

Things you can try: -

Check in vmware that your CD was not corrupted in any way when you were downloading by booting from the CD and typing "linux mediacheck"

Burn a new CD

Use another program to burn the ISO image

Check the CD is OK by typing linux mediacheck at boot if you can get that far.

Joe

orenyny

Reaction score
Hi Joe,
Thanks for the quick reply. I tried what you offered and it seems that you are right (the CD doesn't pass the first line of copyrights). It never crossed my mind because everthing else I burn with this software works fine. Any software you would recommend for Windows ?
Thanks again,
Oren

jroper

Guru
Reaction score
It may not be the software, but if your PC is under high load, this can cause problems when burning.

Joe

orenyny

Reaction score
Hi Joe,
Thanks again... I burned it again using a different media type and after rebooting my (burning) PC, but with the same result.
I think that it's something with ISOLINUX. Anything else I should try ?
Thanks.

jroper

Guru
Reaction score
Did the VMware linux mediacheck go OK - are you burning from a good source?

Joe

darmock

PIAF Developer
Reaction score
This sometimes happens with cdroms and vmware. I have had similar problems at times. Now I go to the virtual machine settings and double click on the cdrom device in vmware. The I choose use ISO image and point it towards the downloaded ISO image. Works like a charm. Have you tried this yet?

darmock

aka Tom

orenyny

Reaction score
Dear Tom,
The ISO file works excellent under VMWare. But the problem I am facing is using a physical CD-ROM.
I have had the same problem with ANY ISOLINUX distribution I tried. I guess I'll need a new burner, don't see any other idea to solve this. Thanks, Oren.

orenyny

Reaction score
Joe, I can't get anywhere in Linux, it doesn't boot up. It just shows the copyright message for ISOLINUX and that's it. In VMWare it doesn't even show the disk error mesage I mentioned on my original post. The source is the same one I am using to boot on VMWare, and there it works fine...
Thanks.

jroper

Guru
Reaction score
Hi

Sorry,out of ideas, maybe go and see a friend, and get then to burn the CD for you, it works, at least you'll know where the problem lies - get a new burner. If it does not work, then blame the CDRom drive in your linux box.

Joe

orenyny

Reaction score
Solved...........

Hi, Just to update you as how did I solve the problem(s). First I tried a different software to burn the ISO. The software i found after a while of Googling was this one: www.imgburn.com it really seems to be an excellent software for Windows, and I recommend it warmly.
I then was able to use the newly burned CD to boot on VMWare, but still wasn't able to use my CD-ROM drive. After I got a new CD-ROM drive, everything is solved and my asterisk in a flash is now installed. Thanks for your help and great work. I really love this amazing distribution !!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pbxnewguy
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.