NO JOY Internal auto-answer will answer even if I'm on a call using another extension

imekul

Reaction score
I have FreePBX 2.9 and Mitel 5224 phones. I'm having an issue with internal intercom "barging." Let me explain...

My Mitel 5224 has four extensions registered -- 214, 314, 414, 514. I'll be in the middle of an external phone call as Ext 514, and then someone from Extension 210 will call my phone at Ext 214.

Without me intervening at all, my regular phone call with be placed on hold and it will automatically answer the new internal call.

I do have the internal auto-answer option set to "Intercom" for Extension 214, and disabling that seems to fix the problem. So I guess what I need to do is find out whether or not there's a way to have it only automatically answer IF I'm not already on another call.

Any suggestions?

phoneguy

Guru
Reaction score
That would be a issue with your mitel. FreePBX sets the auto answer headers and the phone if on another call should not auto answer the new call.

imekul

Reaction score
I gotcha... I'll dig around to see if there's anything I can figure out.

Anybody happen to have experience with this issue on the Mitels?

rossiv

Guru
Reaction score
I personally only use single extensions on my 5224s but with multiple appearances. (Read: Multiple buttons, one SIP registration) If I try to intercom and I'm on a call, it returns a 486 Busy Here to PIAF. What firmware are you on?

imekul

Reaction score
I have 8.0.08.00.00.04 on the phones.

The whole reason I have four extensions is so I can essentially mimic four "lines" on the phone. People call one number, it rings "Line 1." I press Line 2, 3, or 4 and make an outgoing call, and it sends the appropriate caller ID. I'm definitely open to a different approach, though!

Do you know if it's possible to do this with your approach, with multiple appearances? It would be easier for me if each phone just had one extension but could act as if it had multiple lines, sort of like an older regular phone system.

rossiv

Guru
Reaction score
I don't think it would be possible to accomplish what you want with my approach. I rarely have more than one call on a phone since they are in my house. I'm pretty sure I"m on the same version. I'll check and let yo uknow.

imekul

Reaction score
So.... I'm revisiting this problem almost four years after the fact. :rolleyes: Now on FreePBX 13.

I now have only a single extension on each phone (say 214), but the behavior is the same.

If my Mitel 5224 is on a call and another extension dials my page group, the Mitel phone will put the initial call on hold and answer the page. So it interrupts a conversation and forces me to listen to the page.

This only happens when using a page group. In other words, if I dial my busy extension 214 from another extension, the Mitel phone will ring but it won't interrupt the current call.

MGD4me

Guru
Reaction score
In the Paging and Intercom settings, is there a selection to decide what to do if the paged extension is busy, like Skip/Force/Whisper ?

imekul

Reaction score
There is the option for Skip/Force/Whisper, but changing those options don't seem to make a difference.

By the way, I tested with another phone (a Grandstream GXP2160), and that behaves fine. On that phone, an incoming call doesn't interrupt the page.

MGD4me

Guru
Reaction score
So, by what you've discovered so far, the issue would appear to be the Mitel, as previously suspected. Nothing else it could be. I don't suppose there is any newer Mitel firmware, is there?

imekul

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I'm on the latest firmware already, released in 2009. :-\ Maybe this is just a bug in the phone that wasn't ever fixed.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leocipriano
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.